Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to MichelR

Re: Smoking ban inside your condo - Bylaw passed

said by MichelR:

said by peterboro:

said by donoreo:

They are dirty and inconsiderate when it comes to disposing of butts.

You gotta love the idiots who think if they remove ashtrays or other butt receptacles that smokers will not smoke there. Then the same idiots get their panties in a knot when butts are thrown asunder in the vicinity.

Even with the ashtrays... At work there are "Butt Stop" cans (trash cans for cigarette butts) where the smokers are allowed to smoke near the building, but they seem to make it a point to throw them on the ground. Of course that means paying someone to clean up the mess regularly.

I see this all the time too.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

agtle

@teksavvy.com
said by donoreo:

I see this all the time too.

what makes me see red are the gum spitters. At least butts can be cleaned up, gum spots are forever.

dbarron

join:2000-01-03
Vancouver, BC
reply to Thingamajig
I detest smoking as much as an ex-smoker can, and will cross the street to avoid walking behind someone who is smoking. I'm in a strata townhouse and someone brought up the idea of a smoking ban at our last annual general meeting. Someone near my unit smokes occasionally and it somehow migrates into my bathroom and from there into my bedroom. As much as I hate smoking and the smell, though, I just turn on the bathroom fan and let it go. I don't want to try and tell someone else not to smoke in their own home, at least as long as it is not constant.

I just hope it doesn't seep into my unit when I am trying to sell it, though. There are very few smokers left around Vancouver and that smell would ruin an open house.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Thingamajig
Whenever one of my neighbours smokes, my apartment fills up with the smell. dsl_ricer is allergic to cigarette smoke, so it was very unpleasant for him whenever it happened.

Luckily, both of my neighbours have changed many times over the years I've been living here (I seem to be odd for living in the same apartment for 5+ years) and neither of the current ones smoke.

That said, I would have fully supported a smoking ban in the building. Normally about smoking I would say "As long as you don't do it in public areas, go nuts in your own home", but when your smoking starts to cause problems in MY home, that's gone over the line.

If you want to smoke, get a fully detached house.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by Guspaz:

line.

If you want to smoke, get a fully detached house.

And create negative pressure inside the house, and only exhaust the air through several passes through HEPA and activated charcoal filters.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to Thingamajig
Gee, all these complaints about smoking, yet none about exhaust pollution? It's far worse, and far more prevalent.

I find that rather funny.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
Expand your moderator at work

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to donoreo

Re: Smoking ban inside your condo - Bylaw passed

said by donoreo:

That would not stop it. Smokers will keep doing it. They are dirty and inconsiderate when it comes to disposing of butts.

It's almost like they are marking their territory, as dogs and cats do.

-------------------------------------------

I am SO tired of people tossing LIT cigarette butts out of their cars, they always seem to roll under MY car when I am stopped at a red light. One day my fricking car will blow up.

And they just dump loads of butts on the ground outside the doors of buildings, etc, even when receptacles are available.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

reply to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

said by andyb:

Not enforceable or legal vote.Those people have nothing to worry about.Let the condo take them to court

Actually, quite possibly legal. Don't know about BC strata law, but certainly in Ontario there are ways for condos to go completely smoke free.

they're trying to do that to apartment buildings here in hamilton... thing is, they can't just make the switch. they have to grandfather it in with new rentals.

my landlord tried giving me that spiel when i moved in 4-5 years ago, but it's not like anyone listens to her... i've known 4 other tenants in that building and they all smoked in their apartments.

but really, if i can't smoke at a bar, or in a park, or on the city sidewalk, or in my car, or in my apartment, then where can i smoke? come on haters, i need some suggestions. do you want me to buy a house? i can't afford that.

as a smoker (regardless of my desire to quit), i find comments on this topic to be strongly biased towards non-smokers making us feel like the nastiest people on the planet, far worse than pedophiles or murderers. i get nasty stares on a daily basis from people driving down the street talking on their cellphones, while drinking their coffee, and applying makeup. maybe the next time i see one of you people giving me the stink eye, i'll flick my cigarette into your coffee.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario
kudos:1
reply to PX Eliezer70
Those damn LIT cigarette butts can prove to be a real bother for those who allow their vehicles to piss flammable liquids all over the road.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

2 recommendations

reply to Thingamajig
Is this condo going to ban the cooking of curry as well? Will they supply residents with strata approved cookbooks designed to eliminate foul cooking smells?

Hypocrites.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

1 edit
reply to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

Maybe the next time i see one of you people giving me the stink eye, i'll flick my cigarette into your coffee.

I have no objections to people smoking outside, but take your butts with you. I pick up at least a couple a week off my lawn or sidewalk. Spring (with a heavy snow winter) bring lots of them when the snow melts. Like others have pointed out, we provide receptacles at work, but many don't use them. I often see lit cigarettes being tossed out of cars on the highway. That's what I have most against smokers. It may not apply to all, but far too many seem to think the world is their ashtray. It doesn't help their cause.

To be fair, I feel the same about Timmie's drinkers who think it's acceptable to just put their coffee cups down and think that someone else will deal with them.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
said by A Lurker:

Like others have pointed out, we provide receptacles at work, but many don't use them.

i flick mine into the sewer, especially at work, despite the fact we have those mountable ashtrays.

the problem with those ashtrays is that the locks get broken off, and the destitute wind up pilfering the nasty contents therein. so nobody uses them, or they wind up being used for garbage (empty packs, pack wrappers, pop bottles, etc), so the next unwitting sucker to use the ashtray winds up setting it on fire.

i'm sure the city doesn't approve of it, but maybe if they took care of their poverty problem we wouldn't have to resort to ignoring the ashtrays.
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
said by cog_biz_user:

i'm sure the city doesn't approve of it, but maybe if they took care of their poverty problem we wouldn't have to resort to ignoring the ashtrays.

Where I'm working now they actually are emptied daily (trash emptied too, same guy). And they're inside the gates (controlled access) so I don't believe people are trekking out to an industrial area, climbing the fences and scattering cigarettes around.

The people walking past my residential properties or chucking them out their car windows are 100% reponsible for their actions. That's got nothing to do with poverty. Even if you meant to use the word property that doesn't excuse the fact that people walking their dogs clean up after them (mostly) but smokers don't. As for the drivers, keep them in your own car, then dispose of them.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

but really, if i can't smoke at a bar, or in a park, or on the city sidewalk, or in my car, or in my apartment, then where can i smoke? come on haters, i need some suggestions. do you want me to buy a house? i can't afford that.

Maybe if you stopped blowing money on smokes, you might be able to afford one, but then it wouldn't matter, would it? It's not my fault you got yourself addicted to nicotine. You have nobody to blame for that but yourself. And while you CHOSE to smoke, people don't get to choose to have an allergy to smoke.

said by cog_biz_user:

as a smoker (regardless of my desire to quit), i find comments on this topic to be strongly biased towards non-smokers making us feel like the nastiest people on the planet, far worse than pedophiles or murderers. i get nasty stares on a daily basis from people driving down the street talking on their cellphones, while drinking their coffee, and applying makeup. maybe the next time i see one of you people giving me the stink eye, i'll flick my cigarette into your coffee.

Tough luck. Smoking is nasty, and that's going to reflect on the people who do it. If people think you're nasty because you do something nasty, that's only logical. You only get sympathy if you're trying to do something about it.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Gee, all these complaints about smoking, yet none about exhaust pollution? It's far worse, and far more prevalent.

I find that rather funny.

Transportation is essential. Smoking is not.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

And they just dump loads of butts on the ground outside the doors of buildings, etc, even when receptacles are available.

Here at the Peterborough Regional Health Center the CEO and his minions who don't smoke decided two years ago to ban smoking anywhere on the property and not put in a designated smoking area, even a remote one.

So patients, some in wheelchairs or with IV poles, plus staff and visitors dragged themselves up hills covered in ice to get out to the road.

As the moron CEO decided to punish smokers with no smoking area, and thus butt receptacles, the smokers then are forced to deposit the butts on the ground.

If I were a smoker I would do the same thing. Send a big fuck you to the self righteous idiots in the sunshine club who perpetuate this farce.

Last year they tried to send the local anti smoking Nazi around to harass smokers. That backfired as the lawyer for someone who got charged found out that the hospital doesn't actually own all the property it sits on.

So now in an ironic twist everyone gets to smoke closer to the building legally in a confined area but the zealots up in administration who make millions in salaries still refuse to put in ashtrays.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

Don't worry they will come around in the middle of the night and round your kind up and put you out of your misery soon enough. Those same self righteous assholes who give you the stink eye will go on to do just as despicable, or worse things, themselves except not be in the public eye. 99% of them are hypocrites.

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
42, 000 americans have died from second hand smoke each year, that includes some 900 infants...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

as a smoker (regardless of my desire to quit), i find comments on this topic to be strongly biased towards non-smokers making us feel like the nastiest people on the planet, far worse than pedophiles or murderers.

While not worse than pedophiles or murderers (or really, a long list of other things), there's still a reason for that - smoking is !#^ nasty. It makes you smell $&!# nasty and it makes you look $@& nasty.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by bt:

said by cog_biz_user:

as a smoker (regardless of my desire to quit), i find comments on this topic to be strongly biased towards non-smokers making us feel like the nastiest people on the planet, far worse than pedophiles or murderers.

While not worse than pedophiles or murderers (or really, a long list of other things), there's still a reason for that - smoking is !#^ nasty. It makes you smell $&!# nasty and it makes you look $@& nasty.

I would say it makes them look stupid, but nasty is ok.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

bt

canada
said by donoreo:

I would say it makes them look stupid, but nasty is ok.

I meant the physical effects of smoking on the body, not what they look like while actually smoking.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to bt
said by bt:

said by cog_biz_user:

While not worse than pedophiles or murderers (or really, a long list of other things), there's still a reason for that - smoking is !#^ nasty.

I'm sure your kind will eventually elevate smokers to that status if you have your way.
said by bt:

It makes you smell $&!# nasty and it makes you look $@& nasty.

Some chicks, particularly in classic movies, actually look hot performing a symbolic fellatio on a smoke. But that's just me.

For the most part smokers just look like idiots when they start and then years later pitiful souls trapped in an addiction they don't have the will power to quit from.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to Thingamajig
I nominate peterb, to a life long servitude in picking up cigarette butts. Cigarette butts on the ground are toxic to small children if they happen to put it their mouths etc.

»www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/···d=77#504

Keep ashtrays and cigarette packets out of sight and reach of children. Do not leave cigarette butts on the ground. (If swallowed 2 cigarette butts can be toxic to a small child.) Matches may also cause illness if swallowed.

»www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article···3088460/

Whose the idiot now?

Condo owners are responsible to pay for building issues, on top of condo fees and as such have collectively a responsiblity to not trash the place and preserve its value.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

bt

canada
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by bt:

While not worse than pedophiles or murderers (or really, a long list of other things), there's still a reason for that - smoking is !#^ nasty.

I'm sure your kind will eventually elevate smokers to that status if you have your way.

No, but your kind will continue to think that regardless of what I say.

MaynardKrebs
Premium
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Some chicks, particularly in classic movies, actually look hot performing a symbolic fellatio on a smoke. But that's just me.

Never could understand women putting a surrogate penis in their mouths when they could have the real thing.
{cue Coca-Cola theme music....It's The Real Thing.....}

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by peterboro:

Never could understand women putting a surrogate penis in their mouths when they could have the real thing.

Well unless I'm around they still aren't even close to the "real thing".

MaynardKrebs
Premium
said by peterboro:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by peterboro:

Well unless I'm around they still aren't even close to the "real thing".

I'd be tempted to say that your head is swollen, but I won't.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
I dont know Maynard, Id have to say peterborough is definitely a bigger dick. ;-P

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by Anav:

I dont know Maynard, Id have to say peterborough is definitely a bigger dick. ;-P

It's peterboro and I like to think of myself as a prick.