Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

2 recommendations

shaner to Thingamajig

Premium Member

to Thingamajig

Re: Smoking ban inside your condo - Bylaw passed

Is this condo going to ban the cooking of curry as well? Will they supply residents with strata approved cookbooks designed to eliminate foul cooking smells?

Hypocrites.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

1 edit

A Lurker to cog_biz_user

Premium Member

to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

Maybe the next time i see one of you people giving me the stink eye, i'll flick my cigarette into your coffee.

I have no objections to people smoking outside, but take your butts with you. I pick up at least a couple a week off my lawn or sidewalk. Spring (with a heavy snow winter) bring lots of them when the snow melts. Like others have pointed out, we provide receptacles at work, but many don't use them. I often see lit cigarettes being tossed out of cars on the highway. That's what I have most against smokers. It may not apply to all, but far too many seem to think the world is their ashtray. It doesn't help their cause.

To be fair, I feel the same about Timmie's drinkers who think it's acceptable to just put their coffee cups down and think that someone else will deal with them.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user

said by A Lurker:

Like others have pointed out, we provide receptacles at work, but many don't use them.

i flick mine into the sewer, especially at work, despite the fact we have those mountable ashtrays.

the problem with those ashtrays is that the locks get broken off, and the destitute wind up pilfering the nasty contents therein. so nobody uses them, or they wind up being used for garbage (empty packs, pack wrappers, pop bottles, etc), so the next unwitting sucker to use the ashtray winds up setting it on fire.

i'm sure the city doesn't approve of it, but maybe if they took care of their poverty problem we wouldn't have to resort to ignoring the ashtrays.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by cog_biz_user:

i'm sure the city doesn't approve of it, but maybe if they took care of their poverty problem we wouldn't have to resort to ignoring the ashtrays.

Where I'm working now they actually are emptied daily (trash emptied too, same guy). And they're inside the gates (controlled access) so I don't believe people are trekking out to an industrial area, climbing the fences and scattering cigarettes around.

The people walking past my residential properties or chucking them out their car windows are 100% reponsible for their actions. That's got nothing to do with poverty. Even if you meant to use the word property that doesn't excuse the fact that people walking their dogs clean up after them (mostly) but smokers don't. As for the drivers, keep them in your own car, then dispose of them.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to cog_biz_user

MVM

to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

but really, if i can't smoke at a bar, or in a park, or on the city sidewalk, or in my car, or in my apartment, then where can i smoke? come on haters, i need some suggestions. do you want me to buy a house? i can't afford that.

Maybe if you stopped blowing money on smokes, you might be able to afford one, but then it wouldn't matter, would it? It's not my fault you got yourself addicted to nicotine. You have nobody to blame for that but yourself. And while you CHOSE to smoke, people don't get to choose to have an allergy to smoke.
said by cog_biz_user:

as a smoker (regardless of my desire to quit), i find comments on this topic to be strongly biased towards non-smokers making us feel like the nastiest people on the planet, far worse than pedophiles or murderers. i get nasty stares on a daily basis from people driving down the street talking on their cellphones, while drinking their coffee, and applying makeup. maybe the next time i see one of you people giving me the stink eye, i'll flick my cigarette into your coffee.

Tough luck. Smoking is nasty, and that's going to reflect on the people who do it. If people think you're nasty because you do something nasty, that's only logical. You only get sympathy if you're trying to do something about it.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to Juggernaut

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Gee, all these complaints about smoking, yet none about exhaust pollution? It's far worse, and far more prevalent.

I find that rather funny.

Transportation is essential. Smoking is not.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

And they just dump loads of butts on the ground outside the doors of buildings, etc, even when receptacles are available.

Here at the Peterborough Regional Health Center the CEO and his minions who don't smoke decided two years ago to ban smoking anywhere on the property and not put in a designated smoking area, even a remote one.

So patients, some in wheelchairs or with IV poles, plus staff and visitors dragged themselves up hills covered in ice to get out to the road.

As the moron CEO decided to punish smokers with no smoking area, and thus butt receptacles, the smokers then are forced to deposit the butts on the ground.

If I were a smoker I would do the same thing. Send a big fuck you to the self righteous idiots in the sunshine club who perpetuate this farce.

Last year they tried to send the local anti smoking Nazi around to harass smokers. That backfired as the lawyer for someone who got charged found out that the hospital doesn't actually own all the property it sits on.

So now in an ironic twist everyone gets to smoke closer to the building legally in a confined area but the zealots up in administration who make millions in salaries still refuse to put in ashtrays.
peterboro

1 recommendation

peterboro (banned) to cog_biz_user

to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

as a smoker (regardless of my desire to quit), i find comments on this topic to be strongly biased towards non-smokers making us feel like the nastiest people on the planet, far worse than pedophiles or murderers. i get nasty stares on a daily basis from people driving down the street talking on their cellphones, while drinking their coffee, and applying makeup. maybe the next time i see one of you people giving me the stink eye, i'll flick my cigarette into your coffee.

Don't worry they will come around in the middle of the night and round your kind up and put you out of your misery soon enough. Those same self righteous assholes who give you the stink eye will go on to do just as despicable, or worse things, themselves except not be in the public eye. 99% of them are hypocrites.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

42, 000 americans have died from second hand smoke each year, that includes some 900 infants...
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to cog_biz_user

to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

as a smoker (regardless of my desire to quit), i find comments on this topic to be strongly biased towards non-smokers making us feel like the nastiest people on the planet, far worse than pedophiles or murderers.

While not worse than pedophiles or murderers (or really, a long list of other things), there's still a reason for that - smoking is !#^ nasty. It makes you smell $&!# nasty and it makes you look $@& nasty.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by bt:

said by cog_biz_user:

as a smoker (regardless of my desire to quit), i find comments on this topic to be strongly biased towards non-smokers making us feel like the nastiest people on the planet, far worse than pedophiles or murderers.

While not worse than pedophiles or murderers (or really, a long list of other things), there's still a reason for that - smoking is !#^ nasty. It makes you smell $&!# nasty and it makes you look $@& nasty.

I would say it makes them look stupid, but nasty is ok.
bt
canada

bt

said by donoreo:

I would say it makes them look stupid, but nasty is ok.

I meant the physical effects of smoking on the body, not what they look like while actually smoking.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by cog_biz_user:

While not worse than pedophiles or murderers (or really, a long list of other things), there's still a reason for that - smoking is !#^ nasty.

I'm sure your kind will eventually elevate smokers to that status if you have your way.
said by bt:

It makes you smell $&!# nasty and it makes you look $@& nasty.

Some chicks, particularly in classic movies, actually look hot performing a symbolic fellatio on a smoke. But that's just me.

For the most part smokers just look like idiots when they start and then years later pitiful souls trapped in an addiction they don't have the will power to quit from.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Thingamajig

Premium Member

to Thingamajig
I nominate peterb, to a life long servitude in picking up cigarette butts. Cigarette butts on the ground are toxic to small children if they happen to put it their mouths etc.

»www.babycareadvice.com/b ··· d=77#504

Keep ashtrays and cigarette packets out of sight and reach of children. Do not leave cigarette butts on the ground. (If swallowed 2 cigarette butts can be toxic to a small child.) Matches may also cause illness if swallowed.

»www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc ··· 3088460/

Whose the idiot now?

Condo owners are responsible to pay for building issues, on top of condo fees and as such have collectively a responsiblity to not trash the place and preserve its value.
bt
canada

bt to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by bt:

While not worse than pedophiles or murderers (or really, a long list of other things), there's still a reason for that - smoking is !#^ nasty.

I'm sure your kind will eventually elevate smokers to that status if you have your way.

No, but your kind will continue to think that regardless of what I say.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Some chicks, particularly in classic movies, actually look hot performing a symbolic fellatio on a smoke. But that's just me.

Never could understand women putting a surrogate penis in their mouths when they could have the real thing.
{cue Coca-Cola theme music....It's The Real Thing.....}
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by peterboro:

Never could understand women putting a surrogate penis in their mouths when they could have the real thing.

Well unless I'm around they still aren't even close to the "real thing".
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by peterboro:

Well unless I'm around they still aren't even close to the "real thing".

I'd be tempted to say that your head is swollen, but I won't.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I dont know Maynard, Id have to say peterborough is definitely a bigger dick. ;-P
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Anav:

I dont know Maynard, Id have to say peterborough is definitely a bigger dick. ;-P

It's peterboro and I like to think of myself as a prick.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to NCRGuy

Premium Member

to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

said by andyb:

Not enforceable or legal vote.Those people have nothing to worry about.Let the condo take them to court

Actually, quite possibly legal. Don't know about BC strata law, but certainly in Ontario there are ways for condos to go completely smoke free.

Some being built here a totally smoke-free. Both rentals and condos.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by J E F F4:

said by NCRGuy:

said by andyb:

Not enforceable or legal vote.Those people have nothing to worry about.Let the condo take them to court

Actually, quite possibly legal. Don't know about BC strata law, but certainly in Ontario there are ways for condos to go completely smoke free.

Some being built here a totally smoke-free. Both rentals and condos.

Which is perfectly acceptable as people can buy elsewhere and not be bothered by a bunch of busy body interlopers with no life.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to andyb

Anon

to andyb
said by andyb:

There has been a precedent in this type of thing. However, all the units shared a forced air system. In a shared forced-air system it would be enforceable. But I know of no shared condo units like this, nor ever saw an apartment like this all on one forced air system. But it exists and has been to court already and the non-smoker won.

Can't recall if this was in Quebec or Ontario. Pretty sure it was Quebec, but don't recall really.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
I agree that if the CONDO is touted as "for people with no self control and have to smoke and like littering their cig butts everywhere" no one should complain or have these crazy health promoting types of votes. It should be stated on the contract, smoke damage odours and the occasional fire are to be expected in this haven of cancer.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Anav:

I agree that if the CONDO is touted as "for people with no self control and have to smoke and like littering their cig butts everywhere" no one should complain or have these crazy health promoting types of votes. It should be stated on the contract, smoke damage odours and the occasional fire are to be expected in this haven of cancer.

That's the status quo now so then you must agree all the anal, get up in other people's shit types, should live with it or move into one of the new smoke free condos. Thanks for playing.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by Anav:

That's the status quo now so then you must agree all the anal, get up in other people's shit types, should live with it or move into one of the new smoke free condos. Thanks for playing.

Yup but read the fine print on the contract, one also gives up the right to free health care and breeding, do not pass go, go directly to the coffin
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by Anav:

It's peterboro and I like to think of myself as a prick.

Now that's just an annoyance
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Anav

to Anav
said by Anav:

Yup but read the fine print on the contract, one also gives up the right to free health care and breeding, do not pass go, go directly to the coffin

I have no problem with a surcharge on health care for smokers. But then based on statistical probabilities people who drink or do anything else legal that may cost health care dollars should pony up as well.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

I nominate peterb, to a life long servitude in picking up cigarette butts. Cigarette butts on the ground are toxic to small children if they happen to put it their mouths etc.

Really? "Think of the children". How many times I have I read in these forums about the nanny state, what happened to parenting and here you are advocating a smoking ban because the irresponsible parent allows their kids to pick up cigarette butts off the ground.

WOW

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

No im advocating a publishing ban on far fetched statements such as was just made. Just as people were advocating for children stuck in cars with parents smoking. What ego maniacal princess thinks they are a. gods gift to parenting and b. that it is impossible for others to make mistakes.

By the way a smoking ban doesnt need to be based on the negative effects smoking has on children but its as a good as a starting place as any. I think you have a hornets nest in your bonnet.