Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Thingamajig

Re: Smoking ban inside your condo - Bylaw passed

So, what is next? No frying food in your kitchen because the smell of burnt meat offends a vegetarian neighbor. Or incense candles. Or women wearing perfume because the smell causes an allergic reaction in someone on your floor? Wanting to make others live their lives the way you want them to live them is a human failing. And a good reason to NEVER buy a condo apartment.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republi ··· rm_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republi ··· onalism/

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
I think you missed the point with small minded thinking Its not one persons hangups its a group collective wishing to preserve the value in their investment and in some cases safety and health.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
said by Anav:

I think you missed the point with small minded thinking Its not one persons hangups its a group collective wishing to preserve the value in their investment and in some cases safety and health.

Small minded thinking? Always the personal attacks, huh?
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republi ··· rm_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republi ··· onalism/

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Anav
said by Anav:

And some would draw some sort of line as to to what extent the "group" can infringe on the rights of the individual.

No cooking curry or garlic. New condo bylaw. Or no perfume in the elevator. etc...etc..

Want to live completely free from the influence of others? Shack in the woods? There ARE options.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

i LOLd

@videotron.ca
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

So, what is next? No frying food in your kitchen because the smell of burnt meat offends a vegetarian neighbor. Or incense candles.

LOL What I find funny about this is... Yes! A municipality in Canada actually put out a pamphlet out for new immigrants about this very thing.

But it was more directed at people who eat octopus and other high level stinky foods.

Wasn't it the city of Gatineau, Quebec?

Was in all the papers. I recall seeing it on their city website as well.

heh, you aren't off, ThrowDemsOut. Happened already.

See this:
»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 4236425/

I didn't bother looking for it on the city website. Maybe someone else can: »www.gatineau.ca/

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Well, the no frying food is ridiculous.

But....

Smokers who fall asleep in bed smoking, and people using incense candles, start a fair number of building fires.

I can see banning cigarettes and candles, on [that] basis: when it can result in the direct and immediate loss of property and life.

Ian
Premium
ON
said by PX Eliezer70:

I can see banning cigarettes and candles, on [that] basis: when it can result in the direct and immediate loss of property and life.

Don't most modern condo buildings have building codes and smoke detectors and such? Asking people not to smoke seems like only one way of mitigating a fire risk.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

said by Ian:

said by PX Eliezer70:

Don't most modern condo buildings have building codes and smoke detectors and such? Asking people not to smoke seems like only one way of mitigating a fire risk.

More fires are as a result of cooking on a stove. Time to ban those. After all think of the children who could die in a fire.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
said by peterboro:

said by Ian:

said by PX Eliezer70:

More fires are as a result of cooking on a stove. Time to ban those. After all think of the children who could die in a fire.

Dont forget those turkey fat fryers! Im surrounded by miniscule minded non-thinkers, no thats too kind, .... Pinch, yes im alive, double checks to make sure he is not in the red or blue room.

»nnsw.ca/previous/2009/fa ··· ng-fires
»www.usfa.fema.gov/campai ··· smoking/
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Ian
Thats why I live in a house without Moose pets.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to peterboro
Well, cooking is a necessary activity, smoking is not.

And also:

Cigarette fires have been the top cause of U.S. fire fatalities for decades, killing tens of thousands of people in the past 30 years, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), a research group that provides data for state and federal fire codes.

Deaths have declined with falling smoking rates, but cigarette fires still kill 700 to 900 people a year (US).

»usatoday30.usatoday.com/ ··· es_x.htm

And in Canada, your government says:

In that time (1995 to 1999), 14,030 fires were started in Canada by smokers' materials. These fires killed 356 people, injured 1,615 and cost more than $200 million in property damage. This works out to about 70 deaths per year. The victims of these fires tended to be the most vulnerable members of our society, including children, the elderly and the poor.

We also found that:

Cigarettes are the number one known cause of fire-related fatalities in Canada;
Cigarettes are the leading cause of residential fires in Canada; and
Fires started by cigarettes tend to result in more deaths and more property damage than fires started by other sources.

»www.hc-sc.gc.ca/sr-sr/ac ··· -eng.php

It is consistent. 700 deaths a year in US, 70 deaths a year in Canada, matching the 10-1 population ratio.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
PX your talking to booze guzzling tobacco chewing, cigarillo smoking, anti-immigrant, toronto maple leaf masochistic harper lovers. Not sure your logic and rationale thought will make a dent in their plastic heads. (Edit noticed the nationality let me thrown Romney behind Harper LOL)

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Yeah, if they are Maple Leaf fans, there is no hope for them. All the rest of that we could have worked with.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

Well, cooking is a necessary activity, smoking is not.

Cooking on a stove in not a necessity. They can get a microwave.

Ian
Premium
ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

It is consistent. 700 deaths a year in US, 70 deaths a year in Canada, matching the 10-1 population ratio.

Wow 70 whole deaths due to smoking related fires in Canada! How on earth did we even get here? How was the population able to replace itself under such a staggering death toll?

For comparison purposes, about 2,500 people a year are killed, 12,500 a year seriously injured on the roads in Canada.

These type of laws will no doubt come under test in the courts soon enough. To me it's perfectly reasonable to offer, as terms of a lease, or purchase agreement, a non-smoking clause. But to do so after the fact of purchase or rental seems unlikely to ever hold up in court.
--

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
said by Ian:

For comparison purposes, about 2,500 people a year are killed, 12,500 a year seriously injured on the roads in Canada.

And we try to reduce that as well with stricter laws, safer cars, improved highways, and so forth....

Again, driving is necessary for contemporary society to function, probably even more so in Canada than in the US. But smoking isn't.

I [do] agree that retroactive clauses are probably suspect....

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Now start comparing the damage, pollution and expenses of forest fires compared ............... As stated, by focussing on one aspect you miss out on the big picture. Thats what she said... :-P

NCRGuy

join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ian
said by Ian:

To me it's perfectly reasonable to offer, as terms of a lease, or purchase agreement, a non-smoking clause. But to do so after the fact of purchase or rental seems unlikely to ever hold up in court.

If a condo were to implement a smoking ban as a rule, it would likely not hold up. If they were to do so by by-law, it likely would hold. If it were to be added to the declaration, I have no doubt it would be upheld, whether the change was before or after a purchase.