uniqs

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Why do children like Minecraft? (any kids out there?)

Serious question. Why do kids like this game so much? Piss poor graphics and horrible lag game play. Graphics are on par at being worse that the original NES. I am having a hard time understanding, why? I ask my kids, they are like "I do, I just like it." Why? "Because, I like it." But why? "I just do." And then they are off to this mindless game which doesn't seem to have much function other that something call 'creepers'. Although oddly, my 9 year old keep getting banned from various servers for serious violations. For real. "Why were you banned?" .... "Whaaaaa....whaaaaaa....whaaaa..I just was....for life....I can never....whaaaa whaaa...go on...again....I died..."

Can some kid explain this to me? In a way an adult would understand?

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

Graphics aren't everything sums it up pretty nicely.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
I'm 32 and have played Minecraft for almost 2 years, so it's not something that only kids enjoy.

One of the main factors is that it's very easy to understand the game, its concepts, and equally easy "play". There are no classes to learn, skills to understand, and it's not based on your reflexes like a shooter would be. It's like an electronic version of Legos...but on crack. You can also play a couple different modes. One being Creative where you can spawn whatever block you want directly to your inventory and build whatever you want wherever you want. There's also Survival which has some limitations to it like not being able to fly - you can fly in creative mode.

Minecraft is a sandbox with no goal imposed on you by the developer. There's no max level to hit, there's no rank to achieve, nothing to unlock, and so on. The only goals are ones you set for yourself and are only limited to your imagination and the games physics which are pretty forgiving.

Some really cool stuff made in Minecraft:
»inspirationfeed.com/insp ··· eations/

The graphics are horrible by today's standards, but being the next Crysis or Pixar movie was never the goal. Engaging gameplay and being something different were the goals.

Minecraft is only a bad game if you lack creativity and imagination.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Lego now I understand. (And enough to know not to call it Legos )

Now can you explain the 'ban' part? My kid asked me why he was banned, and how he can be unbanned.

I will say, though, when they are playing together they aren't fighting. I like the idea of creativity and imagination. Should I have telling them to play in "Single Player Mode" so they can actually build something cool?

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

There aren't any "official" servers like there would be for WoW or anything. Some of the bigger game hosting companies do host Minecraft servers, but just about anyone can run one.

Consequently, the admin of the server your kids were playing on could be 10 and had a temper tantrum and banned them or banned them for just about any other reason. It kinda sucks if your kids had built or helped build something on that server, but that's the nature of the beast.

It's up to you if you want them playing multiplayer or single player. I prefer single player since I can build or destroy at my leisure without worrying about anyone else coming in and taking stacks of TNT to my fort or houses.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Ahh...I see. He was banned apparently for "griefing dulybob"(sic) someone because he took a plank..finally got out of him what he did. Must have been a 10 year old to have done that...live and learn.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
LindenLab has come up with this, It's like minecraft but only with physics, which minecraft lacks

»lindenlab.com/products/patterns

»www.buildpatterns.com/

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Ha..I like that one. $10 is more reasonable than the $27 PER USER that MineCraft wants. (yep, I am out $54 for my kids)

Looks like something I'd play...assuming it is Java based and can be easily ported to Mac.
Natineah
join:2012-09-28

Natineah to J E F F4

to J E F F4
I also wonder why. Maybe it's because of the bombs that comes out whenever they don't guess it right.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to moes

Premium Member

to moes
said by moes:

LindenLab has come up with this, It's like minecraft but only with physics, which minecraft lacks

»lindenlab.com/products/patterns

»www.buildpatterns.com/

No creepers.
Voxxjin

1 recommendation

Voxxjin to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Ha..I like that one. $10 is more reasonable than the $27 PER USER that MineCraft wants. (yep, I am out $54 for my kids)

$27 isn't much. Considering how many hours my kids have played it plus myself, it probably comes out to pennies an hour, if that much.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
Funny enough, My kids and I like the game. It's just a sandbox where you can build things.

Grab the Tekkit mod and you can have all sorts of stuff. From computer crafting [you can actually program the computers in Minecraft using LUA.]

Or you can play on multiplayer servers. My kids like the PvP servers. Stuff like hunger games, Zombies, and a couple of others.

I just like to putz around and try to build things like an automatic wheat farm/bread maker.
Now I'm interested in Computer craft and using turtles. Turtles are "robots" that you can program to do various things.

One of my kids has built and managed to safely operate a nuclear power plant. He forget to turn it off before logging out during the night. It ran out of coolant and the result was a large cave. He had built it deep underground, so none of our "homes", "factories" were effected.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to ironweasel

Premium Member

to ironweasel
quote:
Consequently, the admin of the server your kids were playing on could be 10 and had a temper tantrum and banned them or banned them for just about any other reason. It kinda sucks if your kids had built or helped build something on that server, but that's the nature of the beast.

Oh the fights. I run a minecraft server at my house. It's just me, my 2 kids and a friend of theirs. We can't afford Hamachi, so are limited to just 5 people.

Anyhow my kids will start fighting, and one will ban the other. Then the fight gets physical, and I have to separate them. Then I have to edit the ban file.

It's interesting playing on a private server, I've never tried a public one.
Snakeoil

1 edit

Snakeoil to moes

Premium Member

to moes
Aren't they the makers of secondlife?

*edit*
As interesting as Patterns is, I wont be supporting it. Unlike Minecraft, Patterns only runs on Mac and Windows.
I have a linux box that I use all the time. Though I'm sure Playonlinux might develop a tweak to get it to run on linux.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
Ya, I got to say, I really, really hate Creepers. How they sneak up on you and manage to ruin your day. lol.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to J E F F4

to J E F F4
My daughter is 12 and plays a lot of Minecraft. She like to build stuff in peaceful mode and play Spleef. She was on Skitscape's server, but he can't seem to keep it running, so now she plays MCInfected, which is humans vs zombies.

It seems that most people on Skitscape and MCInfected are around 14 years old.

Ray
Mahnahmahna
Premium Member
join:2001-04-02

Ray to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
As far as the banning - some servers may be running "hardcore" mode, which means when you die you are permanently dead.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to J E F F4

MVM

to J E F F4
As ironweasel See Profile said, you are limited only by your imagination in what you can build. Search "minecraft" on youtube for some of the more outrageous things people have built such as computers, Star Trek Enterprise, etc.

I have two teenagers and enjoy playing it with them, much more so than first person shooters. One of the things I like is building a game within the game, such as a maze with moving walls and watching them try and find their way out.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
What I hate about minecraft is my sister tried to set up an account for my grand nephew, I tried, BIL tried. No matter what we did, it wouldn't accept any credit card we tried to use and moments after an account is made (previous to paying), the account disappears. Piss poor if you ask me.

I brought my computer with gaming card over to my sisters a couple weeks ago and the kids had a ball, they had never played high resolution PC games before. Only thing that bummed me out is that I'm lousy at games. But back to minecraft, you can't even contact them!
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to J E F F4

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Piss poor graphics and horrible lag game play.

Only noobs use the default texture pack. Try this one - »bdcraft.net/sphax-purebd ··· turepack at 128x128.
Bob4

Bob4 to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
I told you 5 times that the problem is with your credit card company, but you keep ignoring me.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

No, we tried 3 different cards IIRC. Sorry to upset you.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Aren't they the makers of secondlife?

*edit*
As interesting as Patterns is, I wont be supporting it. Unlike Minecraft, Patterns only runs on Mac and Windows.
I have a linux box that I use all the time. Though I'm sure Playonlinux might develop a tweak to get it to run on linux.

Yep they are the makers of secondlife, I've been active in there world since 2007. It's a huge social platform, It just takes some learning because of the curve they have set forth in there viewer, but once that curve is overcome, it's very simple. Plus they are adding alot to the world currently. Users still make everything though.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

What I hate about minecraft is my sister tried to set up an account for my grand nephew, I tried, BIL tried. No matter what we did, it wouldn't accept any credit card we tried to use and moments after an account is made (previous to paying), the account disappears. Piss poor if you ask me.

I brought my computer with gaming card over to my sisters a couple weeks ago and the kids had a ball, they had never played high resolution PC games before. Only thing that bummed me out is that I'm lousy at games. But back to minecraft, you can't even contact them!

I ran into the same problem with my credit card being declined when trying to get Minecraft license for my niece's son (great nephew)? I had to use my Paypal account to get it.

EDIT: I should mention that I tried originally using my Citibank Mastercard directly with a Virtual card number, then my Charter One Mastercard directly, then finally it work using my Paypal account with a Citibank virtual CC#.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

The thing is, we'd enter the card numbers and all, and click, and nothing would happen, no rejection, nothing. Very unprofessional.
Expand your moderator at work

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4

Re: Why do children like Minecraft? (any kids out there?)

"Why do children like Minecraft?"

Maybe just because by nature kids minds are crafty??
Outfoxing the parents?