All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

King Boo

@charter.com
reply to greenman

Re: Youtube Buffers. Hulu does not. What gives, Charter?

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

what speeds you get? i get 12.2

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
I get 11.2

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

1 edit
reply to King Boo
said by King Boo :

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

what speeds you get? i get 12.2

That speed is to single well distributed video. It doesn't give the speed of every available video server farm.

From that video I get 21-25 mbps download rate, but I still frequently run into other buffering YouTube videos.

King Boo

@charter.com
that number is actually an everage

greenman

join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA

2 edits
reply to King Boo
We'll here's the weird thing. When I go to the /my_speed link, I come out as if I'm in Swansonboro, NC and am compared with Road Runner users with average download speeds of 7.49. But I'm in Georgia using Charter and my download speed is tested reliably at 15.

I decided to try foxyproxy with my web server in California. Anything I stream from YT through foxyproxy via the California streams flawlessly at any resolution. Unfortunately, I can' keep doing that to my webhost.

I should note that the /my_speed data comes out as Los Angeles when I run the link on FoxyProxy. (7.04)

A couple things could be the problem:
1. Charter is busting my youtube bandwidth.
2. OpenDNS is messing with my youtube bandwidth
3. Hurricane IPV6 DNS is messing with my youtube bandwidth.

Any ideas?

Anyone using Google Public DNS?
Edit: I've just tried Google's public DNS and the results are pretty much the same as with OpenDNS and Hurricane, so I can only suspect the problem must be Charter. Using Google's Public DNS, it still shows me as coming out of Swansboro, NC.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
Have you tried using Charter DNS?

Charter may have a local YouTube server farm arrangement which OpenDNS and Hurricane DNS isn't using, since they're generic non ISP specific lookups.