uniqs

miakica
join:2009-11-10

miakica to Gone

to Gone

Re: Niagara cops allegedly involved in cheese smuggling

said by Gone:

said by miakica:

I drive a truck for living, and I'm always away for more than 48 hours.
It just depends on the officer you get...

My wife works for the CBSA at the Peace Bridge. Trust me when I say there are some people not even she wants to have to deal with when we cross back in, and she works with them!

The majority of the time it is no big deal even when we cross at other bridges, and we go back and forth all the time.

The guys in commercial who you'd deal with when crossing with a truck also don't tend to have huge honking chips on their shoulder like some of the guys in traffic do, but they're much more by the book than the traffic guys are.

I know about you wife...

Last time I crossed back, I bought 2 cartons and a case of beer and a bottle of Two Olives Cake vodka. I had no problem paying duty on it.

I was lucky to run in to a nice guy at Queenston...He just asked me what the Cake vodka is... Said I can have that shit...In his eyes, that's not alcohol

And, I had about $700 worth of other stuff, and he just told me to have a nice day.

And, just for the record, I wouldn't drink that Cake vodka if it was the last alcohol on the planet

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I was bringing two cases of beer back across the Rainbow Bridge and the guy in the booth specifically asked me what kind of beer it was. I told him he probably hadn't heard of it, and that it was Yuengling. He smiled, said he knew what it was, and sent me on my way without making me pay a dime.

They're not all assholes. Neither are the Americans, some of them are friendlier than the Canadians, particularly the "locals" who grew up in Western New York rather than the hotshots from Texas who finished their tour with the Marines in Iraq and ended up in CBP because he flunked the police entrance exam.

miakica
join:2009-11-10

miakica

And, I forgot...

I made it my mission to never, ever to cross back at PB

There is two officers there that are just plain assholes.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by miakica:

There is two officers there that are just plain assholes.

You have a far greater chance of being hauled in to pay tax on anything at the Rainbow Bridge or the Q-L than at the Peace Bridge. The Rainbow Bridge is a "revenue bridge" and the Q-L has a lot more assholes working there than the Peace Bridge. You might have come cross two assholes at the Peace Bridge, but they'll eventually come across at lot more at the Q-L, especially when they're busy as hell in the summer.