said by neumannu47:
Why is the Mac having problems with the SMC? Is it a known problem?
1. Can he buy his own modem on TimeWarner?
2. Can the SMC be put into the bridge mode?
3. Will TimeWarner provide him with a more current modem/router?
0) No idea, it might just be on or near a congested channel.
1) Yes. If you do buy your own, go with a Motorola Surfboard SB6141. Note, the cheaper SB6121's are NOT compatible with TWC.
2) Maybe. I'm not sure if that model is capable of it, but even if you do somehow convince TWC to bridge it, be prepared for it to become "unbridged" whenever it damn well feels like it.
3) Possibly. With enough bitching he can probably swap it at a store, but unless he upgrades to a faster speed tier they may not swap it at all or they may give him a plain non-wifi modem.
At this point I'd say the quickest and easiest thing would be to shut off the wifi on the SMC, shut off the DHCP server on the Belkin, and connect the 2 routers LAN port to LAN port (do not plug anything into the WAN port on the Belkin).