San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to rchrd

Re: Would You Recommend Sonic.Net ?

Assuming that CO has a Sonic.net "Fusion" DSLAM, you will get ADSL2+ service. At that distance I'd guess around 10M to 12M. With that I'd definitely switch.

I will add that I have set up two Fusion loops. One was a self-install switch from AT&T, the other a new service from scratch.

Switch:

9,156 foot loop, measured by SBC Direct techs.

Had 'at&t Yahoo! HSI Pro'. SBC issue Siemens SpeedStream 4100 modem would sync at 3008/512. A bit graphing tool showed an estimated Max Rate of 4200-5200; too low for Elite, the ADSL 6016/768 service. Sonic.net sent their then issue ZTE 831II ADSL2+ modem. It syncs reliably at 5800/600, with consistent speeds of 4900/400.

New service:

3,300 foot loop, reported by Sonic.net; probablt from AT&T's database.

Sonic.net installed a Pace 4111N RG. It syncs reliably a 18667/892. I get consistent speed of 16M/.75M.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

I'm ~5100 feet from the Sonic Fusion DSLAM and get 10.2M / 949 Kbps, which is more than double the speed from my old AT&T Elite DSL.

Additionally, Sonic rolled trucks and worked with AT&T to identify a bad copper pair which had caused intermittent problems over the years.

When I had complained to AT&T, they said sorry our DSL service is "best effort."

Sonic continued escalating the problem until it was fixed.