how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

Question for DrDrew on upstream power level issue.

My upstream channels power level keep going from 30dBmv to 43dBmv between night and daytime hours could this be caused by a bad AGC module in an amplifier on the mainline as I am not amplifying the signal at my location other than the cable tv outlets which is down line from a 2 way splitter with one leg going to the modem and the other going to a 4 way amplifier.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:14

If you're getting a 13dB swing like that, more then likely a connector is loose, a seizure screw is loose, a cable is cracked, etc. Somewhere the cable center conductor isn't quite in continuous contact at all times and it's related to temperature change.

AGCs are for downstream signal levels only. I've never seen them used in amps on upstream signals. The temp related changes are low enough so they're not needed.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to motorola870

I am experiencing the same power swing from 38dBmv to 51dBmv with no changes to the connections/cable. It seems to be weather related. During the warmer days(summer) the modem's upstream power is in the 38's while when it starts to get cold up to winter, the reading is in the 50's. What could it be?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

I already answered that.

bluepoint

I have check all cables and splitters and I'm sure there is no loose, cracked cables in my house. Checked the outside connections and they are tightly connected to the splitters. One thing though these splitters outside are exposed to the elements. Don't TWC should be shielding them?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by bluepoint:

I have check all cables and splitters and I'm sure there is no loose, cracked cables in my house. Checked the outside connections and they are tightly connected to the splitters. One thing though these splitters outside are exposed to the elements. Don't TWC should be shielding them?

If they're decent splitters they'll last 10 or more years unless they're sitting in water constantly.

As far as your problems, call TWC. Let them know about the wide upstream range. It could be something in the distribution system all the way back to the node, since that is also all coax with lots of connectors.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

bluepoint

Is the distribution box you're talking about is the one in front of my house were all of my neighbors are connected too?