Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

1 edit

Jodokast96

Premium Member

New service...How does it look?

New to cable after years with DSL. Was pretty up to speed with what everything meant there, but now I need to learn the cable side of things. I'm on the Performance Tier, and was just wondering what you guys here thought about it all. Location is South Jersey about 20 miles from Philly. Currently running direct to the modem, no router in place.

Zoom 5341J Stats

DiffProbe Results

From »ipv6.speedtest.comcast.net/

From »speedtest.comcast.net/

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Your upstream is at the limit for 3-channel bonded. Any way you can reduce some splitters to get a slightly better signal? Your downstream is basically ideal.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by andyross:

Your upstream is at the limit for 3-channel bonded. Any way you can reduce some splitters to get a slightly better signal? Your downstream is basically ideal.

Yep, It looks like if the OP can reduce even one splitter in the equation, he will have pretty good signal.

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96 to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
Not possible to remove any. I have two options. The first, is to move the splitters around essentially putting the modem after a single splitter at the drop, and then the TV's behind two. But will that have any effect? The other one, which will get done, is that I believe my feed cable is damaged and needs the connector replaced (need to see if I can get the Comcast bro-in-law to look at it). That should have some effect I would guess.

The only real issue I'm seeing now is my speeds on wireless are only giving me from 12-17, so now I need to find something a bit better than what I have. Any recommendations on something relatively cheap but still decent performing (I'll need two)?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

Except for anything damaged, I wouldn't change a thing unless you have an issue.

For routers: check Neweggs refurbished routers.

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

I played around with a few settings in the router and on the comps. and am now getting about 22 down on the one router. The other is stuck at 12mb. I might be able to survive for now as I think I can just wire up anything going to that one for the time being. Still, 12mb is a whole lot faster than the 3mb it's replacing.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

A lot of variables with routers: N/G, 2.4Ghz/5GHz, encryption, signal, client adapters, etc.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to Jodokast96

to Jodokast96
You need to figure out a way to get that modem to the outside cable with as few splitters as possible. Your upstream signal is on the edge of what will cause problems.

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

I'll have to see what I can do.

Thanks to everyone so far.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

FWIW, I had an even worse problem- my modem was disconnecting from the service because my upstream signal was, like your, poor. I can't change my splitter situation either. I had an old, unused bi-directional amp laying around, so I tried it. That fixed the problem- no issues since, except on very hot days, I lose my 3 channel upstream bonding. I still get full speed, and no TV signal problems, either.

The amp is a Radio Shack 1 in 4 out bi-directional amp. Costs about $30.

Now everyone will start yakking about how an amp isn't the solution, and Radio Shack is crap. But guess what- it works fine and fixed the problem. Haven't had a disconnect since.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Jodokast96

MVM

to Jodokast96
said by Jodokast96:

Not possible to remove any. I have two options. The first, is to move the splitters around essentially putting the modem after a single splitter at the drop, and then the TV's behind two. But will that have any effect? The other one, which will get done, is that I believe my feed cable is damaged and needs the connector replaced (need to see if I can get the Comcast bro-in-law to look at it). That should have some effect I would guess.

The only real issue I'm seeing now is my speeds on wireless are only giving me from 12-17, so now I need to find something a bit better than what I have. Any recommendations on something relatively cheap but still decent performing (I'll need two)?

What I mentioned earlier only is that your upstream power is pretty high...potentially borderline for problems, however, you may not end up having any issues because of it.

Yes! moving your splitter connections so that the modem is behind only one splitter should have the desired effect!

Also however, if your cable coming in has damage, or the connector is less than good, yes, it should be replaced.

Your wireless is another matter entirely.

If you are seeing DL speeds of 12 - 17 Mbps, that is not "good", my wireless connection, on the performance tier (same wired performance level as yours) gives me the standard 25 Mbps down, 3plus up.

What is your set-up, including router?

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

I pretty much got the router situation under control. The older Netgear I was able to fiddle with a bit and now get 20-25 (mostly the upper end, but not always). The other router is actually my DSL Westell 327w modem/router, so I don't expect much out of it. Most of the stuff that needs to go through that one I can do wired for now, so it's not that big a deal. Eventually I'll pick up a second router.

I will play with the coax today and see if I've got enough slack in it to move it behind the first splitter inside the house and run it directly outside. BTW, at what point would I get hit for a service call to fix that? This is the line feed to the house from the pedestal out front that is damaged. Just wondering in case I can't get the brother in law over here anytime soon if I should just call it in.