spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kman08

@direcway.com

[HN7000S] I jumped ship. I cannot take Hughes any longer.

Folks, I just cannot handle the shell games that Hughes plays with its customers any longer. Trying to get them to have some transparency is like pulling a bulls teeth.

You never know what is going on with them. And staring that 24 month contract in the eyes, whilst reflecting over the past six years with them, just gave me the shivers to think what staying with them might be like. I cannot wait for them to get it together, and just about 8 months or so ago, I think there was an effort. But I swear it looks like they are going the other way. And there is this real feeling that residential customers for Hughes is actually the scraps left over at the the corporate and government wolves have torn their shares. No one cares.

I had to go. The just lost me. And they called and all, but I cannot handle them an longer.

I went with the Exede 12 plan, and before I ever got off the phone, I knew the time that an installer was coming. And actually I will be up on Exede Monday, by lunchtime, if all goes well. I never even got a straight answer from Hughes on whether they offered prepaid lease fees to save their customers a few dollars or not, but Exede answered everything. And all my questions were answered.

I will see, it might be that Exede is like a new broom, and you all know how that old chestnut goes.

But I really wanted to thank the forum, the people for all their help to do......actually now that I think of it, what Hughes should have did, which was support the customer the way you all supported me and treated me. Thank you DSLReports and to all of you I ever may have interacted with on the Hughes Forum.

My thing was not to let you all think I was dying, ha ha, as I am still around, but I will focus more on the other forum now. As that is the one I will be needing help, I am pretty sure.

Thanks guys.

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

And you will still have a contract.

Kman08

@direcway.com

Well, I am not sure, what your point is, is that attempt to somehow defend Hughes?

Contracts, are standard mill these days. Expect that regardless, I think.

I know what I got with Hughes, I do not know what I will get with Exede.

The dice have been rolled.

C0RR0SIVE

join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

Be cautious, last I checked the competition still hasn't gotten around to properly measuring use, with some users reporting half a months allowance gone while the system isn't in use.

Curious, do they have a period where you can cancel with out suffering a termination fee?

Kman08

@direcway.com

Hey man, what's going on. I was told that there were two points to back up on it. The first chance is right after install, I get to play with it, and if there is anything I do not like, I can drop it right there, no charge. Then within 30 days, but I must formally request it for good reason.

One thing, is that all the customer / technical support is inside the US, which I like for more than just being able to understand. I love employers that invest in the good USA.

sharkyyoung
Premium
Reno, NV

Good Luck, not defending Hughes just don't like WB or Exede as some neighbors have had it and it wasn't any better.

Kman08

@direcway.com
reply to C0RR0SIVE

Oops, it is also worth to note I guess, given your question man, that they will let you upgrade and downgrade through their available plans at no charge. And the charge to get out of contract is $15 for every unused month, and you can prepay the lease and save an additional four months fees. $s in your pocket. It costs enough, right?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to Kman08

said by Kman08 :

One thing, is that all the customer / technical support is inside the US,

FWIW, Gen4 customers will have 24/7 access to onshore support as well. I'm glad because - despite being a 12+ year veteran - I debated briefly whether or not to jump ship as well. But since I won't have to deal with Bangalore anymore, I decided to stick with a company I know

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY

I have only had to call in once with Gen4, got someone with an accent, but, it was more of an accent like someone from another part of the country. Could understand him perfectly fine. Couldn't help me due to the error, but it wasn't more than ~20 minutes on the phone, and he sent my report off to where it needed to go.

Wasn't sure if Gen4 was going to have support be 100% state side or not.

Kman08

@direcway.com
reply to sharkyyoung

Whoops Shark, made a blunder, sucks. Wildblue is the old name for ViaSat and they are not a re seller . Grrrr.

Alright, maybe even they knew they sucked. Because they did. So maybe they changed their name to try to get out from under that crappy reputation.

Again, shark attack, I will keep you posted.

Kman08

@direcway.com
reply to sharkyyoung

Oh this is embarrassing, I need to do much better D&D. Good Grief. It appears that Wildblue is a re seller. Good Grief. I was right the first time. It was spun off on its own back in 2004. Good night Batman.

I need to get my junk packed right.

sharkyyoung
Premium
Reno, NV

Kman08
I have been with Hughes/Direcway for 10 years and many have been much loner than that, I hate change and will always find a way to get things worked out, so for that being said best of luck on whatever you decide to do. Keep me posted.

Kman08

@direcway.com
reply to sharkyyoung

Oh yeah and another thing, sharkster man, have you looked at the numbers of satisfied customers, and compared Hughes to ViaSat? I mean it is overwhelmingly ugly on Hughes half, and it has been that way for a really long time. And I do know, that when Exede jumped out, there were problems, glitches, that occurred that they only got under control a few months ago. So some teething pains it might have been. But I will let you know honestly. If Exede sucks, I will be the first to say it. ha ha.

Kman08

@direcway.com
reply to grohgreg

Greg, I hear you L&C. I was going to do the same thing too, and just go with what I know. But, man, sometimes with Hughes, you know......I think they made loose some hair.

I really do not like where Hughes desires to get to though, population wise with their GEN 4 systems. They have put out a public statement, that they do intend to load it up 1.5-2 million customers. And I liked hearing the opposite from Exede's CEO.

We will see, with companies like these, I will continue to have my gripes. Wildblue was crap. ha ha. I am not Wildblue guy. And I see it other way around. Wildblue does not own Exede, ViaSat does right? Wildblue is another company or subsidiary that provides service through ViaSat isn't it?

This is why I will not deal with Dish Network an longer, over their shenanigans too. And those that signed up for Exede 5, through Dish, got to play by Dish's rules, and not Exede directly. I got service directly from ViaSat. Not through any middle company.

Look, until Hughes loads up the GEN 4, you all will have it pretty good. But the loss of the FAP free period, and no idea when or if they will eventually succumb to customer desires, with these kinds of speeds, I am going to do more with my service, and that is just that.

I will keep dropping in Greg, Corrosive, the sharkman, and we can keep comparing if we like. Someone has to be the Guinea pig here. ha ha

And Greg, I cannot comment, as I do not know what plan your friendly neighbors are on, and any other particulars, but just of note, I am not saying the speeds are faster. I just decided that I wanted the FAP free time, with those speeds. Almost every thing in this home now, wants to get on the net. Ha ha, and no kidding, it is getting worse, soon the toaster will want in.

Expand your moderator at work

theGhostPony

join:2009-07-31
Lexington, KY
reply to Kman08

Re: [HN7000S] I jumped ship. I cannot take Hughes any longer.

Just a quick rant because I've had it too. I'm tethered to my iPhone this morning (3am) because, surprise, HughesNuts is dead. Again.

I'll not be signing up for Gen4. They can go find some other suckers to fleece.
--
HughesNet: We promise nothing. We guarantee nothing. We stand by nothing.

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY

If you think about it, 1.5 to 2 million customers is unlikely in the end for Hughes on this satellite alone, at least, residential. Plus, with the speeds that the satellite can operate at, that's potentially below the point where serious congestion would set in. The one thing is though, congestion is more beam based than overall. Some beams could be overloaded way sooner than other beams. A beam in the west may never become congested, while a beam over the northeastern states could potentially be overcrowded in a month.

I always thought WildBlue was the company that pushed for the new satellite on that side of the fence, as WildBlue has a support forum for the ViaSat bird.

Expand your moderator at work

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to Kman08

Re: [HN7000S] I jumped ship. I cannot take Hughes any longer.

said by Kman08 :

Wildblue does not own Exede, ViaSat does right? Wildblue is another company or subsidiary that provides service through ViaSat isn't it?

ViaSat essentially owns both WB and Exede. But there are no stated intentions to preserve the WB brand, you can expect it to eventually disappear through attrition. So there is no such thing as a new WB customer. New customers - depending upon geoloco - get either Exede12 service through the new ViaSat1 bird, or Exede5 service through the old WB1 bird. And - when those remaining WB customers want an upgrade - they too get either Exede5 or Exede12

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL
reply to Anon

If every Hughes customer magically had the ability to increase his/her connection speed by 50% for every time that cork 1958 has felt the need to rudely post on this board in a manner that insults those who have no alternative except to use a satellite connection, those Hughes customers would easily have the fastest internet connections in the world.

For many of us, there are reasons much more important than what kind of internet connection that we have available to us that factor into our choice of where we live. And we are not the idiots that you seem to think we are because we don't make our choices as to where to live based only on what kind of internet connection is available to us. Further, I don't understand why you have felt the need (over the course of several years) to keep coming to this board to tell us that you have a superior internet connection and that we must all be stupid because we don't move to somewhere that also has such connection options available.

Kman08

@direcpc.com
reply to C0RR0SIVE

Corrosive,

I am just going to say this. There is a difference in the numbers between what Exede is putting out there as what the equipment and systems can handle and what Hughes is saying. And it is a large difference. Either one, the other, or both of these companies, is way off base and making an outlandish claim, or they both are in the business, know exactly what their systems and equipment can handle and Exede is holding back with Hughes pushing to the limits. Does this make sense what I am trying to say here? We already know, that these two satellites had the same manufacturer involvement and like costs to build with similar technologies. I find it peculiar that one company says to customers hey, we will not put more than a million on this satellite, with the other saying 1.5 to 2 million.

Hughes is, and always, always, always, has been a hungry company for tax dollars. They love government and corporate contracts. And this is known. And I think it indicative of the way I felt they treated me as one of their residential customers. There is a huge difference if you need technical support for a government system and you need help for your home system. Or do you think that the government customers get the India tech support? I know this, because of my last experience in Afghanistan. The service is completely night and day. So what I am saying is that Hughes, is committed, absolutely committed to corporate and government, with the leftovers, those scraps going to residential. It is not, unless Hughes comes on this forum and breaks it all down for us, I am charging that Hughes residential service is not where their golden egg lies. That is not wrong for Hughes, they certainly can do what they want, and it is their business, but it did play into my decision to transfer over to a company, that I know; {I am not that ignorant}, for the time being anyways, does have a very vested interest in residential.

To add, whether Hughes puts 1.5 to 2 million on their systems or not, who do you think will get their focused service, customer support, and who do you think they will listen too the most? And have you any ideas what government caps and speeds look like? The corporate plans? Hmm, I wonder still have my books anywhere, I think I could dig those up. And that was on the old satellites. But rest assured, those caps are gigs and gigs. ha ha, I mean it. They are huge. But then, Hughes, claims, what was it again? 1-2% if users are hogging up the bandwidth. Man that is funny.

Hughes makes more than double the net income that ViaSat makes annually. But gross income is closer, with Exede coming in last year about a half billion less $. Not as much spread. By those numbers, someone is eating through profits more than the other one is. Actually ViaSat reports more employees, but makes less gross, and less net as well. Hughes has a lot of debt. Like, well, I did not look up 2011's numbers, but then it was about 1.4 billion in assets, with only 340 mil in equity. And now, I am sure that they are even heavier in their debt load. These two companies are close. And ViaSat needs corporate customers too.

Apples oranges, I don't know, but then I never knew my 2005 Dodge Ram with the cummins was going to be worth a shot either, as I was a Ford and chevy truck guy, but I am glad I did, because that was one of the best truck purchase I made. Barring my feelings concerning some of their dealers. Point is, my instinct tells me to try someone new. And I shall.

Long winded here, sorry about that. That is what happens when you retire from the Army, and pull back a bit from the rest of human life. Ha Ha.

Kman08

@direcpc.com
reply to C0RR0SIVE

After talking with my wife and getting into a long discussion, (she is a financial #s lady, (used to work at the Singapore Exchange)), I kind of developed of here is how it is for me thought. So to sum it all up.

Knowing the markets, knowing the satellite industry, understanding capitalism, being a residential customer of Hughes, and then being on their Corporate/Government systems. I saw the night and day between the how Hughes handles both. Just one system alone that we had, that one system had a 6.6 GB/day FAP on it. That was just that one system, and that was not on any real faster speeds. I think it was about 2 Mbps down, and 256Kbps up. I could look it all up. And we never ever used close to that limit on any day within at least the particular year I was there.

Now many will, say that is business. I do not disagree. But anyone, should be a good shopper when you are deciding these days where to spend your money.

I know, that Hughes is rolling out lavish plans, even ones that no one will even use to the fullest, but they are setting heavy limitations upon their residential customers. That 1-2% hogs, that they keep using to justify their draconian caps on the residential folks, are likely not even residential, and are corporate and government users that are getting the bandwidth amounts, even if they are not using what they get, it is still reserved for them.

I just think at this point, that I am deciding to go with the company that is at this point appears to be really hungry to do for the residential guys what Hughes does for the bigger customers. Exede is just like Hughes, they will be in it to win it. But right now, Exede appears to me to want the residential base, and take as much as they can from Hughes, and they are succeeding. Hughes got better in the last 8 months to me anyways in supporting the residential base, but do you honestly think they got better, because the residential base is complaining? Or could it be, now, that they are actually losing those customers now? I do not know, only Hughes knows for sure. But given how deep Hughes is with the corporate side, and I really cannot see a huge difference with how they are operating, residential customers are still feeding on the carcasses of what is leftover after the wolves have fed. Hughes is treating its customers like they are Hyenas. And I got tired of that.

So, I will try Exede, and see if this ViaSat CEO, and its leadership, have decided to institute a plan of operations that is more friendly to my needs. It is a good plan too. Because residential customers are in numbers. They help to spread the word, they have jobs, and what I think ViaSat has decided to do now, is attack their competitor at their foundation, and are chipping away at the small stones. What they are appearing to do is take away the small stuff, and that might just lead to larger customers as well.

Hughes should take this more seriously, but at this point, the contracts that Hughes has are just to profitable and long term for them to care.

I am out. LOL, sorry about this, but found this topic got interesting, more than I thought it would.

sharkyyoung
Premium
Reno, NV

Kman08
As I said before good luck, what ever works for you. We gone, bye bye.

Kman08

@184.21.45.x
reply to One More Too

I am on Exede!! ha ha. Working okay, not sure I have the speeds some are reporting. Before the installer left he clicked into speedtest and pulled 8.67Mbps down and hit 3.01Mbps up. Not bad, I was hoping for a little better. I tried the test with Xfinity, I think it is. And I got 12.43Mbps down, and 3.43Mbps up. Which is better. Pages are snappier though. I have not used it to do any downloading though. The guy is out of Ogdensburg, and he said over the past few days he put in 23 systems from there to Syracuse. And he has three installs today in my area. No one for the Exede 12, but me, the other two are for the Exede 5 plans. Which he said is the most popular.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Kman08

Good to hear it works for you.

I don't understand how he can be installing Exede 5 in Exede 12 territory, unless you live right on the border for coverage?

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY

He has to be on the edge of the beams, but shouldn't be considering the area he was talking about....

Kman08

@184.21.45.x
reply to silbaco

Really? I just thought they were on different beams. I don't know, but I am on Exede 12 according to everything in setup for me and the account. I don't know. Interesting.

nedriv

join:2006-08-07
Somerset, CA
reply to grohgreg

said by grohgreg:

FWIW, Gen4 customers will have 24/7 access to onshore support as well. I'm glad because - despite being a 12+ year veteran - I debated briefly whether or not to jump ship as well. But since I won't have to deal with Bangalore anymore, I decided to stick with a company I know

//greg//

Greg,
I didn't know this. That would be at least one plus for gen4.

Do you think this might be temporary until all the kinks are worked out of gen4 and then HN would transfer support off-shore?

This would give HN a chance to write "protocols" to support the common issues once gen4 is fully debugged before transferring off-shore.

Can you provide a link/cite to an HN source stating that all gen4 support is on-shore?

Thanks
--
HN9000 /

A Tech

join:2008-11-10

By the end of the year all tech support should be US based, ok barely US based i.e. Brownsville Texas. In the eman time odd hours and over flow is going anywhere but India.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to nedriv

said by nedriv:

Can you provide a link/cite to an HN source stating that all gen4 support is on-shore?

Sure. »gen4.hughesnet.com/learn-more/questions FAQ #30

//greg//
--