spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kman08

@direcpc.com
reply to C0RR0SIVE

Re: [HN7000S] I jumped ship. I cannot take Hughes any longer.

Corrosive,

I am just going to say this. There is a difference in the numbers between what Exede is putting out there as what the equipment and systems can handle and what Hughes is saying. And it is a large difference. Either one, the other, or both of these companies, is way off base and making an outlandish claim, or they both are in the business, know exactly what their systems and equipment can handle and Exede is holding back with Hughes pushing to the limits. Does this make sense what I am trying to say here? We already know, that these two satellites had the same manufacturer involvement and like costs to build with similar technologies. I find it peculiar that one company says to customers hey, we will not put more than a million on this satellite, with the other saying 1.5 to 2 million.

Hughes is, and always, always, always, has been a hungry company for tax dollars. They love government and corporate contracts. And this is known. And I think it indicative of the way I felt they treated me as one of their residential customers. There is a huge difference if you need technical support for a government system and you need help for your home system. Or do you think that the government customers get the India tech support? I know this, because of my last experience in Afghanistan. The service is completely night and day. So what I am saying is that Hughes, is committed, absolutely committed to corporate and government, with the leftovers, those scraps going to residential. It is not, unless Hughes comes on this forum and breaks it all down for us, I am charging that Hughes residential service is not where their golden egg lies. That is not wrong for Hughes, they certainly can do what they want, and it is their business, but it did play into my decision to transfer over to a company, that I know; {I am not that ignorant}, for the time being anyways, does have a very vested interest in residential.

To add, whether Hughes puts 1.5 to 2 million on their systems or not, who do you think will get their focused service, customer support, and who do you think they will listen too the most? And have you any ideas what government caps and speeds look like? The corporate plans? Hmm, I wonder still have my books anywhere, I think I could dig those up. And that was on the old satellites. But rest assured, those caps are gigs and gigs. ha ha, I mean it. They are huge. But then, Hughes, claims, what was it again? 1-2% if users are hogging up the bandwidth. Man that is funny.

Hughes makes more than double the net income that ViaSat makes annually. But gross income is closer, with Exede coming in last year about a half billion less $. Not as much spread. By those numbers, someone is eating through profits more than the other one is. Actually ViaSat reports more employees, but makes less gross, and less net as well. Hughes has a lot of debt. Like, well, I did not look up 2011's numbers, but then it was about 1.4 billion in assets, with only 340 mil in equity. And now, I am sure that they are even heavier in their debt load. These two companies are close. And ViaSat needs corporate customers too.

Apples oranges, I don't know, but then I never knew my 2005 Dodge Ram with the cummins was going to be worth a shot either, as I was a Ford and chevy truck guy, but I am glad I did, because that was one of the best truck purchase I made. Barring my feelings concerning some of their dealers. Point is, my instinct tells me to try someone new. And I shall.

Long winded here, sorry about that. That is what happens when you retire from the Army, and pull back a bit from the rest of human life. Ha Ha.

Kman08

@direcpc.com
reply to C0RR0SIVE
After talking with my wife and getting into a long discussion, (she is a financial #s lady, (used to work at the Singapore Exchange)), I kind of developed of here is how it is for me thought. So to sum it all up.

Knowing the markets, knowing the satellite industry, understanding capitalism, being a residential customer of Hughes, and then being on their Corporate/Government systems. I saw the night and day between the how Hughes handles both. Just one system alone that we had, that one system had a 6.6 GB/day FAP on it. That was just that one system, and that was not on any real faster speeds. I think it was about 2 Mbps down, and 256Kbps up. I could look it all up. And we never ever used close to that limit on any day within at least the particular year I was there.

Now many will, say that is business. I do not disagree. But anyone, should be a good shopper when you are deciding these days where to spend your money.

I know, that Hughes is rolling out lavish plans, even ones that no one will even use to the fullest, but they are setting heavy limitations upon their residential customers. That 1-2% hogs, that they keep using to justify their draconian caps on the residential folks, are likely not even residential, and are corporate and government users that are getting the bandwidth amounts, even if they are not using what they get, it is still reserved for them.

I just think at this point, that I am deciding to go with the company that is at this point appears to be really hungry to do for the residential guys what Hughes does for the bigger customers. Exede is just like Hughes, they will be in it to win it. But right now, Exede appears to me to want the residential base, and take as much as they can from Hughes, and they are succeeding. Hughes got better in the last 8 months to me anyways in supporting the residential base, but do you honestly think they got better, because the residential base is complaining? Or could it be, now, that they are actually losing those customers now? I do not know, only Hughes knows for sure. But given how deep Hughes is with the corporate side, and I really cannot see a huge difference with how they are operating, residential customers are still feeding on the carcasses of what is leftover after the wolves have fed. Hughes is treating its customers like they are Hyenas. And I got tired of that.

So, I will try Exede, and see if this ViaSat CEO, and its leadership, have decided to institute a plan of operations that is more friendly to my needs. It is a good plan too. Because residential customers are in numbers. They help to spread the word, they have jobs, and what I think ViaSat has decided to do now, is attack their competitor at their foundation, and are chipping away at the small stones. What they are appearing to do is take away the small stuff, and that might just lead to larger customers as well.

Hughes should take this more seriously, but at this point, the contracts that Hughes has are just to profitable and long term for them to care.

I am out. LOL, sorry about this, but found this topic got interesting, more than I thought it would.

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV
Kman08
As I said before good luck, what ever works for you. We gone, bye bye.

Kman08

@184.21.45.x
reply to One More Too
I am on Exede!! ha ha. Working okay, not sure I have the speeds some are reporting. Before the installer left he clicked into speedtest and pulled 8.67Mbps down and hit 3.01Mbps up. Not bad, I was hoping for a little better. I tried the test with Xfinity, I think it is. And I got 12.43Mbps down, and 3.43Mbps up. Which is better. Pages are snappier though. I have not used it to do any downloading though. The guy is out of Ogdensburg, and he said over the past few days he put in 23 systems from there to Syracuse. And he has three installs today in my area. No one for the Exede 12, but me, the other two are for the Exede 5 plans. Which he said is the most popular.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Kman08
Good to hear it works for you.

I don't understand how he can be installing Exede 5 in Exede 12 territory, unless you live right on the border for coverage?

C0RR0SIVE

join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY
He has to be on the edge of the beams, but shouldn't be considering the area he was talking about....

Kman08

@184.21.45.x
reply to silbaco
Really? I just thought they were on different beams. I don't know, but I am on Exede 12 according to everything in setup for me and the account. I don't know. Interesting.

nedriv

join:2006-08-07
Somerset, CA
reply to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

FWIW, Gen4 customers will have 24/7 access to onshore support as well. I'm glad because - despite being a 12+ year veteran - I debated briefly whether or not to jump ship as well. But since I won't have to deal with Bangalore anymore, I decided to stick with a company I know

//greg//

Greg,
I didn't know this. That would be at least one plus for gen4.

Do you think this might be temporary until all the kinks are worked out of gen4 and then HN would transfer support off-shore?

This would give HN a chance to write "protocols" to support the common issues once gen4 is fully debugged before transferring off-shore.

Can you provide a link/cite to an HN source stating that all gen4 support is on-shore?

Thanks
--
HN9000 /

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
By the end of the year all tech support should be US based, ok barely US based i.e. Brownsville Texas. In the eman time odd hours and over flow is going anywhere but India.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to nedriv
said by nedriv:

Can you provide a link/cite to an HN source stating that all gen4 support is on-shore?

Sure. »gen4.hughesnet.com/learn-more/questions FAQ #30

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

nedriv

join:2006-08-07
Somerset, CA
said by grohgreg:

said by nedriv:

Sure. »gen4.hughesnet.com/learn-more/questions FAQ #30

//greg//

Greg, I don't read #30 to say ALL gen4 support is US based. What I read is that US based is one of many sources for support. I suspect that in the beginning rollout phases of gen4, all support will be US based since problems will not be the same in all cases, but I don't believe INDIA is out of the picture forever based on the FAQ quoted below.

Where am I misreading?

==================
"#30 What about customer support?

Our hope is that you don't ever have to call for a technical issue. But if you do need us, we have multiple levels of phone support, (including a new onshore support center) available 24/7 and live chat, too! Our agents are trained to help you with any type of question related to your service."
==================
--
HN9000 /

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
Multiple levels in my interpretation means the outsourced call center will remain in "support" of legacy (non-Gen4) customers. In actuality, there have been at least two levels of US-based support for years; call center escalations typically flow through a support center in Florida. Anything they can't handle gets bumped up to techs or engineers in Maryland.

What I think this means is that Gen4 customers will get a US-based response on their first call. The rest of us get to deal with Bangalore.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

Kman08

@173.243.44.x
I interpret this to mean that Hughes intends to keep using thier Tier Level support. So when you call in you will go through Tier one, then if they cannot resolve the issues it goes to a higher level of support.

Not that multiple levels means different systems/plans will get different support. There are a few times my calls went to the US based support dirrctly. I suppose it was luck of the phone cue. And I was on the HN7000. Did the support phone number change for the Gen 4 folks? I do not think they got their own support line.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
Don't get ahead of yourself. The only Gen4 users now are beta testers, and they report to a US-based beta-only support structure. If you still doubt that Gen4 folks will get US-based support, I guess the test of fire will be when the hardware eventually gets installed at early adopter locations. Like me. But at this point I don't have a clue when to expect mine.

//greg//
--

sharkyyoung
Premium
Reno, NV
said by grohgreg:

Don't get ahead of yourself. The only Gen4 users now are beta testers, and they report to a US-based beta-only support structure. If you still doubt that Gen4 folks will get US-based support, I guess the test of fire will be when the hardware eventually gets installed at early adopter locations. Like me. But at this point I don't have a clue when to expect mine.

//greg//

Greg
Gen4 is now live and regular installs have been going on since 9-28-12.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit
My bad. But 9/28 was a whole 5 days ago, with a weekend in between. Not likely more than a handful of early adopter installations at this point. So what would be nice going forward, is for some of them to bring us up to speed regarding their Gen4 support options.

I was told that - as a long time Hughes customer - I had priority on the wait list. Guess I gotta call in and ask them for their definition of "priority".

//greg//

sharkyyoung
Premium
Reno, NV
I totally agree.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to Kman08
Why not just buy 2 land lines and get one of those duel 56k modems. At least you will have ISDN speed.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
said by brianiscool:

Why not just buy 2 land lines and get one of those duel 56k modems. At least you will have ISDN speed.

I don't think you thought that concept out. Two phone lines where I live would cost about $60/mo. Then add the cost of a duplex dialup account, which I believe would as much as another $30/month. Unless my numbers are way the hell outa whack, explain to me why a $90/mo 128k connection represents an acceptable alternative to satellite.

//greg//
--