uniqs
share rss forum feed

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to MrPatryk

Re: Pot Hole Help in NJ

Your problems have just started. Read the forums on bmw tire problems. especially regarding run flats.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
I have been reading Roundel for 2 years now (years prior I read it for a few years as well - had to belong to BMW CCA for HPDEs) and the only 'issue' some people have with run flats is performance. The older run flats have horrible handling characteristics. Many folks have stated that the newer ones are 100% better.

Those that don't like them simply state to switch to normal tires.

There are no other tire issues with BMW to my knowledge reading several BMW websites and the Roundel.

None of the above relates to a pothole problem the OP has...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
I didnt say it was related to his pothole issue. And yes the answer for some people is to go to regular tire. The problem is some bmws dont have any space for a spare. BMW also is known to use 2 seperate sizes in front and back against the run flat manufactures suggestions of rotating tires more often than regular tires. But it was bad enough that they made settlement on a class action law suit against them.»news.consumerreports.org/cars/20···uit.html

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit
Several manufacturers don't have spares - this is not just a BMW thing. Those that buy cars with staggered setups know you can't rotate front to back when they buy the cars. If they don't realize this then are are pretty stupid. The staggered setup is for VERY specific models - normal setup is square all of the way around (it is also the preferred setup for HPDEs and all around performance).

Irregular wear is going to be caused more by driving hard and alignment issue more than not rotating the tires. As long as the tires are not rotational - they can be rotated side to side. So far - I have had non-rotational tires on my 330i with a staggered setup and guess what ------ no odd or uneven tire wear - even with a HPDE and car control clinic run on them.

His tire 'problem' has not 'just started'. The cars in the lawsuit are 3 series not a 5 series and from several years ago...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by CylonRed:

Irregular wear is going to be caused more by driving hard and alignment issue more than not rotating the tires.

Not true for front wheel drive cars.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
When was a 5 series or 3 series BMW a FWD????? Never and we are talking about a 5 and 3 series which are RWD the vast majority of the time (except for the few x drives).
--
Brian

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
You did see where there was 150,000 people burned by bmw and run flats correct? Go to run flats and see how the warranty is voided if you dont rotate the tires and than explain how a person is supposed to rotate tires when the rear tires are not the same size as the front. And yes you can do away with runflats. That is if you want to drive around in a car with no spares and with a car that most tire shops dont stock tires for. These cars and the northeast roads dont go well together.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
And again - those buying the cars know this - run flat, no spare. The lawsuit was for 3 series and his is a 5 series. This was also several years ago - and again - this is not the start of tire problems for the OP.
--
Brian

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
You'd think that someone who could afford a $50,000+ car wouldn't be so bummed out about a damaged tire and wheel.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
My brother in law paid 65000 for his. And no bmw never told him that he had no warranty on his 2000 dollar tires because it was impossible for him to rotate them. In fact bmw told him they were warrantied for a certain amount of miles. Dont remember what it was but in any case he was getting likes 6000 miles to a set with alighnment. He sold it about 6 months into it swearing he would never buy another bmw as long as he lives. Run flats have a warranty but that warrnaty is void if not rotated. They voided his warranty do to the fact he cant rotate them. it doesnt matter if its a 3 series or 5 series the fact is in the northeast our roads are NOT very friendly on any run flat low profile tires. They just dont have the sidewall flex to handle it. The op will find that out soon enough.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to CylonRed
Most people dont feel spending 2000.00 on tires every 12,000 miles or so is normal. but here is one of many links to the 5 series.»www.arfc.org/complaints/2011/bmw···lem.aspx Bottom line is tho run flats are not any good on our roads here in the northeast. They just dont have sidewall flex or the suspension to handle these roads. but i still believe the op is just beginning his tire adventiures with his car.
Expand your moderator at work