spc
Search similar:

uniqs

alex3324
join:2000-08-03
West Des Moines, IA

alex3324

[IA] Ultra 50 Speed not speedy

Good morning folks, I subscribe to the Mediacom Ultra 50 package in Des Moines. I'm getting slightly more than half of the advertised speed. I am directly connected to the modem via ethernet cable, and a wireless connection has similar speeds on my Mac. The service worked great until about 2 weeks ago when we had basic digital cable added to our service lineup. The line comes into the house to the TV area where it is split into two signals - one for the STB and the other for the cable modem. I have removed the splitter to test, but get the same results. Test results are below. Any assistance is appreciated.

Any advice?

Information
Standard Specification Compliant DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version 1.04A
Software Version V5.5.3.mp1CPR08c
Cable MAC Address xxx
Device MAC Address xxx
Cable Modem Serial Number xxx
CM certificate Installed
Status
System Up Time 0 days 00h:05m:04s
Network Access Allowed
Cable Modem IP Address xxx

Connection

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 129000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK bpr0106744401cf83300001
Security Disabled Disabled
Downstream Bonded Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol rate Frequency Power SNR DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS locked
Locked QAM256 28 5360 Ksym/sec 129000000 Hz 5.8 dBmV 38.6 dB Docsis
Locked QAM256 25 5360 Ksym/sec 111000000 Hz 7.5 dBmV 39.7 dB Docsis
Locked QAM256 26 5360 Ksym/sec 117000000 Hz 7.2 dBmV 38.9 dB Docsis
Locked QAM256 27 5360 Ksym/sec 123000000 Hz 6.4 dBmV 38.4 dB Docsis
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 sym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown
Upstream Bonded Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Symbol rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 31000000 Hz 47.8 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
Current System Time:Sat Sep 29 08:20:13 2012

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I apologize for the issues here. There was an error with the configuration file on your modem. I have corrected that, can you check your speeds now?

Lacy
@mchsi.com

Lacy

Anon

I am in Iowa also. I have been getting Mediacom for YEARS and I am an IT professional.

I have NEVER gotten the speeds mediacom promises!

Don't expect them to fix the issue either. Their customer service sucks and their operators in the Bahamas cant help much from there. (sigh)

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Lacy, I will be happy to look into the speed issues you are currently having. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number as well as the speeds you are currently getting?

alex3324
join:2000-08-03
West Des Moines, IA

alex3324 to Lacy

to Lacy
Lacy, a quick PM to Chad fixed my issues. The speeds I am getting (as reported through speedtest.net) exceed the advertised speeds now.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

alex33240, I am glad I was able to resolve your issue!
n0aaa
join:2011-12-19
Mount Vernon, IA

n0aaa to alex3324

to alex3324
I am getting nominal 20 Mbps, actual 28.5 Mbps at the wall. Wifi 10-15 Mbps when it works. I have a Diamond 300 Mbps repeater in the kitchen. I am familiar with issues when MS gets confused because the modem and the repeater have the same ID, but I am sitting here unable to even watch short videos on YouTube because it is so intermittent. I can do text-based things, but this is starting to be a lot like dial-up (which I did for years). I switched from Century Link because of low and intermittent DSL speeds. It may be a function of being in the boonies, but this is getting ridiculous. I would not recommend Mediacom broadband at this time to anyone who wants to do anything other than reading the news. -Jan (Mt. Vernon, near Cedar Rapids)
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

Jan, I remember a whole bunch of us trying to work out your wireless issues a year ago when you came to Mediacom. It is too bad that you haven't solved this problem. From the way you just described it, this doesn't sound like Mediacom's fault, as you are getting the speed to your house, but still just local issues with WiFi interference.
v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life
join:2002-11-09

v_lestat to n0aaa

to n0aaa
said by n0aaa:

I am getting nominal 20 Mbps, actual 28.5 Mbps at the wall. Wifi 10-15 Mbps when it works. I have a Diamond 300 Mbps repeater in the kitchen. I am familiar with issues when MS gets confused because the modem and the repeater have the same ID, but I am sitting here unable to even watch short videos on YouTube because it is so intermittent. I can do text-based things, but this is starting to be a lot like dial-up (which I did for years). I switched from Century Link because of low and intermittent DSL speeds. It may be a function of being in the boonies, but this is getting ridiculous. I would not recommend Mediacom broadband at this time to anyone who wants to do anything other than reading the news. -Jan (Mt. Vernon, near Cedar Rapids)

jan if you connect your PC/LAptop with Ethernet directly to your modem and you get nearly all of the 50Mbps package but when you jump to wifi you don't then the problem is 100% you.
its not up to Mediacom to fix something like that.

but if you Ethernet to the modem and see the same issue you described above.. well that's a different story.

people haven't the slightest clue what wifi really is, and worse yet you are using a repeater.

listen I am a wireless engineer and salesman, and I would love to take a trip to your house and explain to you what to do and not to do with wireless and check to see where the issue is coming from.

1) a repeater will cost you 30-50% of your bandwidth.. period, I don't care who makes it and I sell some several thousand dollar AP's which suffer from that issue. its the nature of wifi
2) if you are on 802.11G, meaning 2.4ghz (NOT mimo or 802.11N then you are screwed right from the start.) the best A N Y 802.11G wifi radio is going to get is MAYBE 20Mbps... MAYBE.. mostly is 14-16Mbps)
so this more falls inline with your statement of poor speeds.

either way I am speaking about your situation when I don't know he full story.

I would love to help out.

- Paul
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

1 edit

wth to alex3324

Premium Member

to alex3324
said by alex3324:

Good morning folks, I subscribe to the Mediacom Ultra 50 package in Des Moines. I'm getting slightly more than half of the advertised speed. I am directly connected to the modem via ethernet cable, and a wireless connection has similar speeds on my Mac. The service worked great until about 2 weeks ago when we had basic digital cable added to our service lineup. The line comes into the house to the TV area where it is split into two signals - one for the STB and the other for the cable modem. I have removed the splitter to test, but get the same results. Test results are below. Any assistance is appreciated.

Any advice?

[att=1]

Since the speedtest.net server your using is physically located in Des Moines, your ping time to that server should not be over 15-20ms at the most. 40ms is way to high. Good to see your problem was fixed.

ADDED: For some reason, that Des Moines server reports high ping time, but does show good speed results.

YuRi
Premium Member
join:2008-11-04

YuRi

Premium Member

works fine here