how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Question about mail-in rebates..

I bought a new gfx card about a week ago off newegg, and it came with a $10 mail in rebate.

I havn't submitted the rebate forms yet.

I just checked newegg today, and that exact same card is now offering a $30 mail in rebate.

Will I be eligible for that? Or does the date of purchase lock me in?

Thanks guys.
--
Tawnka - 85 Tauren Warrior - Frostwolf
Brawnx - 85 Human Warrior - Hydraxis
Pollux - 85 Human Paladin Hydraxis

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Date Of Purchase is usually listed on the rebate form. If your DOP falls outside that window then it's very likely that the rebate will be rejected. The rebate processors live to reject rebates for trivial stuff.

If you don't care about losing the $10 rebate, you can go for the $30 and hope it slips by. Just don't count on it.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to Pollux7777

Those dates and specials are locked in. They are usually auto generated by the manufacturer and passed on to resellers such as Newegg. Places like Newegg can provide better deals over all because of less overhead compared to Best Buy or HHGreg who has a store everywhere.

I think you are stuck with just the 10 dollar rebate. However, if you do volume business with Newegg, I would have an online chat about your order with customer service and see if they will forgive you for making an early purchase. If they do, they may credit you the difference or give you a 20 dollar promotional card or nothing at all. For 20 dollars, it would be worth asking.. or not..
--
I want to finally set it free
So show me how to see what Your mercy sees
Help me now to give what You gave to me
Forgiveness, Forgiveness

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Pollux7777

As HarryH3 See Profile said you have to look at the terms of the rebate. If your purchase date is within the window for the $30 rebate you can send that one in. If it is not you only qualify for the $10 rebate. Attempting to submit for the $30 if you are not qualified will most likely be rejected and deservedly so, worst case you could be prosecuted for fraud and you don't want that.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2

said by Kilroy:

As HarryH3 See Profile said you have to look at the terms of the rebate. If your purchase date is within the window for the $30 rebate you can send that one in. If it is not you only qualify for the $10 rebate. Attempting to submit for the $30 if you are not qualified will most likely be rejected and deservedly so, worst case you could be prosecuted for fraud and you don't want that.

Now now, let's not be over-dramatic. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for fraud for mistakenly submitting a request that is out of date.

Maybe if he forged a false receipt to try and trick them into paying but even then, for $30, it's extremely unlikely any law enforcement agency will spend thousands of dollars to investigate and prosecute.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN

said by IamGimli:

Now now, let's not be over-dramatic. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for fraud for mistakenly submitting a request that is out of date.

This wouldn't be a mistake. The real problem is that you send the rebate by mail and fall into mail fraud. Do a search for rebate fraud. The ones you see prosecuted are large dollar amounts, but that doesn't prevent an individual from being used as an example.

said by "The Firm :
Wayne Tarrance: Get 'em with what? Overbilling, mail fraud? Oh, that's exciting.
Mitch McDeere: It's not sexy, but it's got teeth!

--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Can you link a case where someone received a rebate under $30 that they were not entitled to and then successfully prosecuted?

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Not going to spend a lot of time on it, but did find this Earthlink Rebate.

said by Earthlink :
EarthLink will prosecute any attempt at fraud and has the right to request additional verification to prevent fraud and confirm.
Not saying that you WILL be prosecuted, but if you are, the charge is mail fraud, something you don't want to have to deal with.

Questions about Mail Fraud Act and Laws

"How Serious is the Punishment for Mail Fraud in the Federal courts?

Mail fraud punishment is determined on the basis of a number of factors such as the nature of the act, past criminal history, how badly the victims were hurt, whether co-operation was provided to the investigators, etc. Mail fraud penalties can be as severe as an imprisonment of up to 20 years, as it is generally considered a serious offense. The fines can also go up to 1 million dollars if the crime has affected a financial institution in some way. "
--