Search similar:

uniqs
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

[OOL] Why would anyone still use ISP email for anything?

There is a thread in this forum discussing OOL email being slow. In FIOS forum there are similar threads from time to time.

Why would anyone still use ISP email for anything these days considering there are better alternatives (free or very cheap)? I am not even mentioning the fact that when you switch ISP your email is usually gone. Just for a couple dollars/month anyone can have their own domain with email that will always be theirs (or just use GMail, hotmail or the likes).

Jayinnj
@optonline.net

Jayinnj

Anon

Because we have hundreds of accounts that point to that address, not to mention hundreds of contacts.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
When places ask me to sign up for something for immediate savings, or to order something online from most sites, I throw my OOL email address to them.
severach
join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

severach to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
I throw a custom disposable email address at each one. Much more informative when things go bad.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

There is a thread in this forum discussing OOL email being slow. In FIOS forum there are similar threads from time to time.

Why would anyone still use ISP email for anything these days considering there are better alternatives (free or very cheap)?

Yes, I use OOL email, but I use others too (past and current).

I've used Yahoo and also AOL. Will they be around forever? I have more faith that OOL will. And I was never very impressed with Yahoo or AOL mail.

I've used Juno. Are they still around? I don't know.

I use GMail---but Google already knows too much about my life. Also, my GMail account gets tons of spam. And sometimes what Google tags as spam isn't....

I'd rather [not] have Microsoft in charge of my email....

And:

Why [not] use OOL e-mail?

Optimum will ALWAYS be my ISP---
because FiOS refuses to serve my half of town---

I need SOMEONE to be my ISP and I always expect it to be OOL.

If I move out of their area in years to come, or if there is a nuclear war, or if the world mysteriously loses all electricity, then I'll deal with it at that time....
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

Why would anyone still use ISP email for anything these days considering there are better alternatives (free or very cheap)?

Also, I have used at least two free e-mail services that have closed down. (These were relatively small and niche-oriented).

And I like Fastmail a lot. But Fastmail has a charge for POP access, and Fastmail now has been bought by Opera....
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

Why would anyone still use ISP email for anything?

Because I don't want Google reading my email.

I have my own domain name and my registrar provides free email forwarding. So I simply forward my domain's email to my OOL email address. If I change ISPs, I simply point it to the new email address.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

. . . and Fastmail now has been bought by Opera....

So? What's the downside to that?

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
Why wouldn't you use your ISP's mail? It IS part of what you're paying for, for one thing. Nothing slow about my Charter e-mail either.

Even if you do change ISP's, it's not like it's very hard to inform your contacts a head of time, unless you're running from the law, or something, and have to vacate post haste!! Besides, most ISP's will forward your e-mail for 30 days or more also.

I only use my ISP's e-mail for the most official type stuff though and don't post it to ANY forums, or anywhere else.

Have used Yahoo mail since first getting on net in 1997, but have SEVERAL other accounts including 3 crap, throw away, spam infested, Gmail accounts.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Rojo31

Premium Member

to Rojo31
said by Rojo31:

said by PX Eliezer704:

. . . and Fastmail now has been bought by Opera....

So? What's the downside to that?

When a small upstart is bought by a larger and more established company (which Opera is by now) things usually suffer.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to JoeSchmoe007

MVM

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

Why would anyone still use ISP email for anything these days considering there are better alternatives (free or very cheap)? I am not even mentioning the fact that when you switch ISP your email is usually gone.

I am still using my 'pacbell.net' email (SBC/AT&T) because I can. Even one year and four months after cancelling my 'at&t Yahoo! HSI Pro' Internet service.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

A neighbor switched to cablevision from at&t. They were told they could keep their @sbcglobal.net email address.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

....Why would anyone still use ISP email for anything these days.....

Because I have no problems with it, works fine. Used it for 10 years. I also have a gmail and a hotmail account but use them for junk only. Really dislike webmail for anything else.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
Generally that's true. But FWIW I've not experienced it in FM's case.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by Rojo31:

Generally that's true. But FWIW I've not experienced it in FM's case.

Agreed.

I'd use FastMail more if they had free POP access.

Admittedly it is available pretty cheaply.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

When a small upstart is bought by a larger and more established company (which Opera is by now) things usually suffer.

I've been a paying member of Fastmail since 2004... I have been nothing but thrilled with their service.. I have my domain name attached to my account, which is why Im a paying member -- but that gives me a lot of flexibility with WebDAV, instant photo album sites, as well as the ability to host my actual www address with Hostway while my sub-sites sit with Fastmail.

Granted, I am using it for much more than email -- but, I have not noticed a single difference since Opera bought them, other than the Opera logo on their webmail page, which I rarely use.

FWIW -- Opera purchased Fastmail in April 2010... It didn't "just" happen.

Rick
oolcableusr
join:2010-02-17
Centereach, NY

oolcableusr

I've also been using Fastmail.FM for four+ years now as a backup for our domain email server at work. They've been out a few times over that time- but on a whole they've been quite reliable. FWIW- their tech support sometimes takes a few days to address a ticket.

The OOL email service is OK for personal use, but for business use it's inadequate.
rocafellanrd
join:2009-05-04

rocafellanrd to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007

I ask myself that all the time.

I ask myself that all the time.

andvari
join:2003-05-21
Freehold, NJ

andvari to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704

Re: [OOL] Why would anyone still use ISP email for anything?

said by PX Eliezer704:

Yes, I use OOL email, but I use others too (past and current).

I've used Yahoo and also AOL.

I use GMail---but Google already knows too much about my life.

I'd rather [not] have Microsoft in charge of my email....

These sort of reasons are why I handle my inbound mail myself. Register your own domain and set up a small machine to accept inbound mail. I have an ATOM based box running linux. Setup an IMAP server and a copy of spam assassin. Not that hard and when you are done you have complete control. Your address will never change. DONE.

The advantages are huge. The mail is delivered DIRECTLY to you, no hops between the origin and your machine. Mail delivery is usually within a few seconds. Few places where it could be 'harvested' by others. Disposable addresses are trivially easy now.

Outbound still goes through my ISP - mostly because many sites block mail from dynamic IPs.