Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

unibroker
Premium
join:2010-11-12
Altadena, CA

renew with Sonic or go AT&T Uverse

My $15 DSL service expires with Sonic at the end of the year. My current situation is in addition to Sonic's charge I pay AT&T $22 for a dialtone.

When my introductory deal expires with Sonic it goes to $30 so my monthly bill for internet goes to $52. The other option is to go back to AT&T and get their Uverse DSL. Even though I've never had that service I'm told by the office and the many AT&T techs that came out to my place that I am wired for it.

I'm at the slowest of speeds which is why I called Sonic and said I'd renew if I could maintain the $15 rate. They said "no". So, based upon my previous experiences with AT&T customer service when I had them for DSL, I hesitate to go back to them for their Uverse. Sonic has been able to stabilize my connection and when I've had to deal with their customer service it came with results. Another thing to consider is that if I don't renew with Sonic and then have a recurrence of bad service from AT&T I'll have a modem rental fee upon my return to Sonic.

Any recommendations?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

I'd stay with Sonic unless money was so much of an issue that I had to go with the cheapest solution.

How are you using the phone associated with the DSL line ? If you are maintaining that phone line only because of the Internet service you may be able to reduce your monthly fees to AT&T by switching from free local to metered service.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA

said by leibold:

If you are maintaining that phone line only because of the Internet service you may be able to reduce your monthly fees to AT&T by switching from free local to metered service.

I maintain this only because Sonic needs it and I've got the metered service. Thanks for your input.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

I was guessing your service based on the $22 amount. That is almost double from what it was when I had Sonic DSL (with metered AT&T phone service) before I upgraded to Fusion.

Either prices have gone up significantly or your county/city is adding major fees to the total cost of maintaining a phone line. It may still be worth checking your phone bill to see whether there are any "features" added by AT&T that you can drop.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA

said by leibold:

It may still be worth checking your phone bill to see whether there are any "features" added by AT&T that you can drop.

AT&T jacked the rate I assume with the FCC's blessing in Q1 of this year. I have no features other than the dial tone.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to unibroker

Personally, I love Sonic. The servers are reliable, the spam filtering is amazing, and the connection is always up. I pay a lot more than you ($89), and think it's totally worth it.

Your alternatives are some AT&T bundle, or cable. And I guarantee you that that you won't get the same technical service you get with Sonic.