how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shawnunder7

join:2011-10-08

1 recommendation

[TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

Hello all, today i received a card in the mail from Time Warner which I will add to the post. I was wondering if everyone is seeing this fee, and what is the recommended modem i should buy. I also have phone, so how would this whole thing work?

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2

1 edit

I just got this in the mail. Kind of ironic because I just came back from the RR Service Center at Queens Center to exchange a defective RCA 425 modem.

But this is the last straw for me. I've suffered through multiple modem exchanges in the last 3 years and they only give out refurbished ones that fail after a few months now. I plan on buying my own off Amazon to avoid this silly fee. The CSR I spoke to today said that I could buy my own modem, call tech support with the new MAC address, and they'll be able to register it onto their system.

Only issue is that one of the best selling modems, the Motorolla SurfBoard 6121 does not appear on their list of supported devices. Anyone know if it's possible to get the SB6121 to work on RoadRunner? I'd prefer not to spend an extra $40 on a higher end model.

Actually, upon further research, I found that the SB6141 ($105 on Amazon) is a better deal because it can bond up to 8 channels, which future-proofs the device. I guess I'm getting the SB6141 instead...might work better on my Turbo plan.

--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

It depends on the internet you are trying to use.

For Turbo and below, you can use the SB6121; however for Extreme and above you must use the SBG6580 (if you are using Motorola products).

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

That or the SB6141. It's kinda weird how the TWC site recommends a DOCIS 3.0 modem for the Turbo tier but that's probably in the event they boost speeds in the future.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
reply to shawnunder7

said by shawnunder7:

I also have phone, so how would this whole thing work?

That's one thing I've wondered. The approved customer owned modem list (at least for SoCal) doesn't include any of the ones with built-in telephony support. So if you buy your own modem, is TWC just gonna start charging you for a stand-alone phone adapter thus negating the savings of owning your own?

shawnunder7

said by Suit Up:

said by shawnunder7:

That's one thing I've wondered. The approved customer owned modem list (at least for SoCal) doesn't include any of the ones with built-in telephony support. So if you buy your own modem, is TWC just gonna start charging you for a stand-alone phone adapter thus negating the savings of owning your own?

I guess ill give them a call and try to figure that out so I can know what to do. I have to do something, because there's nothing else I can switch to.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to shawnunder7

Wow, looky looky as soon as we get something good(NFL), bang here comes the increases. This is just the beginning they are passing the D3 modem upgrades to us and I will guess they will add some more for the NFL and their loses from cord cutters. Come on TWC, GIVE US A BREAK!!!!!

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to shawnunder7

got it as well , good thing FIOS has finished installing their fiberboxes I should be able to get fios soon currently I am on 50/5 paying 59.99 , that makes it 63.94$

shawnunder7

1 recommendation

I have nothing to turn to, other than Dish and DSL, which I am probably not going to turn to, since DSL is very slow. I am just going to watch a bunch of the surfboard modems on E-Bay and try to win on fairly cheap i guess.

bluepoint

1 recommendation

reply to patt2k

said by patt2k:

got it as well , good thing FIOS has finished installing their fiberboxes I should be able to get fios soon

You guys are lucky, FIOS is available in your area. We have it around our streets but not in the community. It will take for the majority of us to ask the board to let Verizon dig the streets so Verizon can lay the fiber in the community. Hopefully it will happen soon when majority gets tired of TWC's increases.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to shawnunder7

This is ridiculous! I've had Time Warner for, maybe, 4 1/2 years. In that time they've eliminated newsgroups, raised the price at least twice, and now they want to charge a monthly fee for their crappy little modem?

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to shawnunder7

Earthlink and other ISPs on TWC do NOT charge these modem fees. Also from the sounds from customers in Mid-Ohio there is a new national ISP coming to the TWC network. All billing and such will be done by the ISP and NOT by TWC. no modem fees either.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to Suit Up

said by Suit Up:

said by shawnunder7:

you will be required to still pay for the EMTA. There is no way around it. And most likely will NOT be able to use your own modem for HSI as some areas of TWC do not allow more than one modem.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

"you will be required to still pay for the EMTA. There is no way around it. And most likely will NOT be able to use your own modem for HSI as some areas of TWC do not allow more than one modem. "

My understanding is that an MTA used solely for phone will not incur a Modem Lease fee, one used for phone and Internet will.

"And most likely will NOT be able to use your own modem for HSI as some areas of TWC do not allow more than one modem. "

I have never heard of this. Can you expand on the areas that DONT allow it?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to shawnunder7

DOCSIS 3 is still an unnecessary waste of money. Most of those who recommend them are just trying to justify their own bad purchases.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

said by ctggzg:

DOCSIS 3 is still an unnecessary waste of money. Most of those who recommend them are just trying to justify their own bad purchases.

I am confused, do you mean implementing DOCSIS 3 was a waste of money or buying a DOCSIS 3 modem?

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to hobgoblin

Ohio (MidOhio that covers 95% of the state and NEO/WPA) have been telling people they will pay for a lease fee. And you do NOT get to have your own modem as they do NOT permit more than one "modem" on the account.

When TWC Dayton was part of WOH (before it was split into dayton and Mid-Ohio) those customers were only permitted to have 1 modem as well.

It has been a known policy of TWC's before they even took over Adelphia that you were only permitted 1 modem as networking is the goal, both on your own router and using their router. Hence- Wireless Home Networking

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

Interesting, thanks for the information.
When we rolled out Digital phone here there was not an all in one wireless solution. We have thousands of customers with their own modem and a separate MTA. We have many with a wireless modem leased from TWC and a separate MTA as the all in one solution was not available. When D3 was rolled out there was not a D3 MTA available so again there are thousands with a D3 leased or owned modem with a D2 MTA. One size rarely fits all. We also have many phone only customers that as I said before will not be charged a modem fee.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bluepoint

reply to shawnunder7

said by shawnunder7:

I have nothing to turn to, other than Dish and DSL, which I am probably not going to turn to, since DSL is very slow. I am just going to watch a bunch of the surfboard modems on E-Bay and try to win on fairly cheap i guess.

If you are trying to get your own modem, get a recommended D3 modem for future proof that is also IPv6 compliant. Sooner or later TWC will migrate to IPv6.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 edit

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to bluepoint

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to bluepoint

Totally agree, Do not even think of buying anything other than a D3 modem. Things are moving real quick.

Hob

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

Pass whatever you got man, thats some good stuff.

funehi

@rr.com
reply to Straphanger

This is my question too. When I was looking at the approved devices list at the indicated website, I was asked if I wanted to chat with a csr. The online rep I talked to stated that her information is that Turbo should work with Docsis 2 modems (which I am assuming is true since no one has offfered me a docsis 3 modem and I have been using turbo for years now). So why do I need a docsis 3 modem? I am really considering RCN now as I am already paying $62/month just for 20/2 internet service. RCN is advertising 50/6 for $50 this year, 60 next and 70 in year 3. The only problem is getting my wife switched out from the TWC email system. I live in Astoria and fios isn't here and probably won't be here to the very last date required by their contract (if they ever do get here).

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

" So why do I need a docsis 3 modem? "

My belief this would be to cover any future upgrade. If TWC upped the speed of Turbo to something that required a D3 modem we would see complaints in here from someone who just bought a D2 modem and now its been superseded by D3.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

shawnunder7

reply to hobgoblin

That's exactly what i am going to get Btw, does anyone know is DirecTV is any good? I am planning to double play the phone and internet, and moving somewhere else for TV, since that takes a big chunk of my bill due to boxes. My only option is satellite or cable.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to hobgoblin

Ohio is a totally different TWC as far as TWC Inc is considered. in Ohio TWC actually is TWC, LLC, in other areas they are TWC, Inc. Not sure why the difference except that in Ohio all of the service areas are totally different with their own policies and such.

The ones that have DP and want a wireless solution, just got a Netgear wireless router that was connected to the DP. That was before the all in one modem/EMTA,etc. But new customers get an all in one modem with router. The EMTAs are still MOT with no battery for the most part and a netgear router for wireless home.

Ohio is still one of the last areas that still uses Canada for National Help and one of the few years that will patch you through to tier 3 without a ticket.

The main problem with TWC, INC/LLC is that each area operates as their own company and does as they wish. I never really got that and I know a long time ago they were to be done away with and only would be TWC East and TWC West but that never happened. I think it would make more sense that they would take the Comcast, Charter, etc approach and just merge everyone into ONE company with ONE policy for everything which would make EVERYTHING a whole lot easier.

BTW: Mid Ohio and NEOH/WPA still has stated they are not charging a modem fee as they compete against WOW, and AT&T who charge these fees. (NEOH and Mid-Ohio also has a HUGE amount of areas that was once Adelphia- and still operates under Adelphia policies).

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC
reply to shawnunder7

MTA / EMTA used for solely phone do not incur the $3.95 fee.

Considering that TWC has not charged for the modem before, I'm curious about why the uproar to the 3.95 charge.
Given that (1) that equates to 0.13 cents per day and (2) if it breaks, you don't need to pay for a new one (given that its a rental).

I know times are tough, but some perspective is in order, I think.

bluepoint

said by JimMcCoy:

Considering that TWC has not charged for the modem before, I'm curious about why the uproar to the 3.95 charge.

You are probably a rich person that you don't mind indiscriminate increases every year. Simple answer to your question is, many TWC subs are tired of increases every year. Here in NYC, if you compare TWC's pricing to FIOS's/Directv, they are about $40 more. Tell you what, this modem fee might be the last straw for NYC'er. They just now push subs that were hesitant to move to FIOS to now just do it. The worst part of it, subs that have no choices(remain) will incur more increases cause TWC will compensate for these losses. They have to make their investors happy.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to shawnunder7

Got my card in the mail yesterday. FIOS has just lit up my apartment complex but unfortunately I am in one of about 30 apartments that Vz hasn't been able to get the fiber to yet. I am really going to push now as I am fed up with TW. The price is decent but the TV service has been much less than stellar.