Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5 to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
Looks good. I am waiting. Where are you located?
Bear1
join:2009-03-10
New York, NY

Bear1 to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7
I currently have my own 6120 on twc... i do have one of their 6580 in storage but that has been deactivated. So if i were to just bring my modem to twc. I should be fine right and don't need to buy one of the approved modems right?
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to Pathfinder5

to Pathfinder5
Queens NY @Pathfinder

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to shawnunder7

Premium Member

to shawnunder7
Saw an ad in NY1 today.... Time Warner is having a sale with free PowerBoost through Friday. Maybe, eventually everyone will have it?

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

1 edit

Packeteers

Premium Member

if your basic docsis2 10/1 what will powerboost do, and will it cost extra for current subs?

»www.connectyourhome.com/ ··· erboost/

OIC, never mind... it's just marketing jazz for typical ISP caching gimmickry.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger

Mod

It's virtually useless. On Turbo, it bumps up my download speeds from 2.2MBps to 3.4MBps for about 20 seconds before dropping back down to normal speeds.
Straphanger

Straphanger to Thinkdiff

Mod

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by MisterSai:

I'm just a basic 10/1 user. Should I futureproof and purchase a Docsis 3.0 modem?

That's my question as well. As a 10/1 user with a DOCSIS3 modem, you'll lose PowerBoost. If I have no intention of ever upgrading to the overpriced D3 tiers and I'm not having congestion problems, I don't think there's a benefit of purchasing a D3 modem at this time.

PowerBoost will still continue to work with a D2 modem. Been working for years on my RCA 425 modem.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

That's my point. You gain basically nothing by getting a D3 modem (yes, you can have channel bonding, but 10/1 probably doesn't need it and D2 modems can do DCC on a D3 system) and lose out on PowerBoost. I don't see any reason to buy a D3 modem besides future-proofing against upgrades that may/may not happen (when's the last time they upgraded the base tier?)

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

if you play games online docsis3 users report to have better fps rates than docsis2 users, probably because you have 2 bound channels of data going to the game host instead of one thus reducing net latency, since the game itself requires very little down/upload speed. this modem purchase will keep me stuck with docsis2 till i leave twc for fios - so twc was stupid to do this now, as i might have upgraded to docsis3 once my first year was up (and i just built a new gaming pc) but now i won't bother trying it if i'm stuck having to buy more modems or pay rental fees.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
Well just tonight I downgraded to Turbo speed along with a new TV service installation that was done here. I had Extreme before the downgrade. The tech who came over did not change the modem and my speed tests also indicate that I now have Turbo. So does this mean that I am still on D3 with the Extreme modem that I have ? Another question I have is that I was quoted and signed for ( an agent came right to my home last week ) a 24 month deal. No contract of course. Will I be subject to this new modem fee ? I am already exploring my options of buying a modem anyway.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"So does this mean that I am still on D3 with the Extreme modem that I have ? Another question I have is that I was quoted and signed for ( an agent came right to my home last week ) a 24 month deal. No contract of course. Will I be subject to this new modem fee ? I am already exploring my options of buying a modem anyway."

You are on D3 equipment with a D3 modem, your speeds are governed by the modem Boot file.

You will be subject to the new modem fee I believe.

Hob

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

Thanks Hob. I will be looking at a modem purchase soon. Otherwise, the install went good tonight. Only thing I notice is the usual slower channel changing than I experienced on DirectTV.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Packeteers

MVM,

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

if you play games online docsis3 users report to have better fps rates than docsis2 users, probably because you have 2 bound channels of data going to the game host instead of one thus reducing net latency, since the game itself requires very little down/upload speed. this modem purchase will keep me stuck with docsis2 till i leave twc for fios - so twc was stupid to do this now, as i might have upgraded to docsis3 once my first year was up (and i just built a new gaming pc) but now i won't bother trying it if i'm stuck having to buy more modems or pay rental fees.

I have a hard time buying this argument. Is this technically proven or just anecdotal?

Even if there was an improvement, I can't imagine it being very large. Unless the game server is very close, the majority of latency is from TWC to the game server, not your CMTS to your modem.

Anthony44
@rr.com

Anthony44 to shawnunder7

Anon

to shawnunder7
This is absolute BS. I am currently paying for the speed boost, and required to use a TW modem in order to achieve these speeds, according to the service techs. Now, I will be forced to pay a fee to use a modem I am required to have, not that I want, for the service I am already paying a higher rate for.

There is absolutely no need for this. Time Warner is the worst provider in the country.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If you're talking about PowerBoost, you can still get it if you buy an older DOCSIS2 modem, AFAIK.

If you're talking about a higher speed tier, you'll get the same exact speeds with an approved third-party DOCSIS3 Modem.
shawnunder7
join:2011-10-08

shawnunder7

My modem will be here in a few days, just to get it right (since it didn't work with my first modem i bought), i simply call them, tell them I want to activate the modem, give them the model number along with the MAC and it should be activated within 24 hours?
pkacz
join:2012-10-03

2 edits

pkacz to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7
So I ordered RCN today for installation this weekend. Went for 50mb internet, Tivo Whole Home HD, no phone. The package includes a docsis3 cable modem, 1 Tivo Quad Tuner HD DVR cable box and 1 HD cable box that are networked so recorded shows can be viewed on both - something my current TW boxes can't do. I did not order HBO or any other premium channels.

Total monthly cost: $93.70 INCLUDING all fees and taxes. I have doubled my download speed and gained Tivo instead of TW's horrible interface while saving over $70/month. The only negative is no TCM-HD. But for $850 a year, I think I can cope.

Ciao Time Warner!

Edit: Oops! Forgot about the $3.95/month I won't be paying for TW's cable modem. So I'll be saving $900/year. I just gave myself a raise.

PublicServ
@rr.com

PublicServ to shawnunder7

Anon

to shawnunder7
Acutally the procedure is pretty miserable. Clearly designed to discourage the use of your own equipment. I wasted about 35 minutes on chat wanted to tell them my new modem serial number and mac address. They kept transfering me until someone said I had to call customer service to do that. I call customer service and get a moron who says she can take the information and that in three days it should start working and the old modem (their modem) will stop working. I asked what happens if i am not home to switch the equipment and she first said nothing, and then said the old one will stop working, and then said they would both be working... in other words she had no idea what she was talking about. I asked to speak to a supervisor and now the call is over 40 mins and I am on hold. How dare they only give me ten dats notice, make me run out and buy a modem, and then stonewall the migration process. if they give your ten days notice before they start to charge you but take three days to activate a new modem then they effectively are only giving you 7 days notice before they start to charge you. I think they are criminals that are just want to rape their customers. it is one thing to do this will ample notice, or just do it for new customers, but to rape existing customers with very little notice is just criminal. i will be reporting to the new york state attorney general and hopefully they will do something about it.
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42

said by PublicServ :

Acutally the procedure is pretty miserable. ... if they give your ten days notice before they start to charge you but take three days to activate a new modem then they effectively are only giving you 7 days notice before they start to charge you. I think they are criminals that are just want to rape their customers. it is one thing to do this will ample notice, or just do it for new customers, but to rape existing customers with very little notice is just criminal. i will be reporting to the new york state attorney general and hopefully they will do something about it.

Yup, should have called tier 3 support. I have another thread titled NEW YORK Modem activation. When I first called, I was told by two tier 1, 2 supports who claim the modem would be activated that night (10/3). After 60 minutes of wait for a advanced support (tier 3), he told me it'll take 3 days. However, turnaround for me was 21 hours. I agree with you this is very short notice. I too will file a compaint to NY attorney general.
Widmark
join:2012-10-07
San Francisco, CA

Widmark to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7
said by shawnunder7:

That's exactly what i am going to get Btw, does anyone know is DirecTV is any good? I am planning to double play the phone and internet, and moving somewhere else for TV, since that takes a big chunk of my bill due to boxes. My only option is satellite or cable.

I have Directv and like it much better than TWC...cheaper...better picture for me.... And better/faster UI for the guide/etc. I have the home media H34 setup and love the single DVR for whole home. My big gripe is I can't pause live tv in any room except the one with the DVR. Hopefully DTV gets this.
shawnunder7
join:2011-10-08

shawnunder7

Yup, not only that but my other boxes are soo small compared to the TW boxes. I have a lot of extras on my package too, since im a new customer and all.

StevenB
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
New York, NY

StevenB to shawnunder7

Premium Member

to shawnunder7
I know i'm in the minority. But i don't mind the fee, because i know i can get a swap out anytime. Not saying owing your old modem isn't a great choice.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

4 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

some of us do the math... i spent $28 which means in 7 months my modem is free (giving me a fee free year until FiOS gets in my building in 2014). others do it out of principle by taking away a cable monopolist's excuse to charge extra. some use it as an excuse to get a higher end modem than what TWC is leasing them. there's nothing wrong with conscientiously deciding to pay the fee and lease.

it's just tragic that 90% of those who do, will out of ignorance, fear, or plain laziness -which is exactly what TWC is counting on to score another $300,000,000 per year in revenue for doing what really should be a deposit on equipment free system, where you forfeit that deposit if you don't return the modem.

this is exactly why i cut the cord and dropped my POTs line years ago. my bill had more fees and taxes in it than actual phone service charges. in NYC our electric bill is the same way... it lists a dozen different one shot fees/taxes and per kiliwat fees and taxes, that i can't even tell how much i'm paying per kilowatt hour, so i just divide the entire bill - when you do that you come up with over .50cent/kwh - that's triple the national average!

if TWC was being legit with us, they'd say look... we can't afford to give you a modem anymore(also ridiculous but i'd play along), so if you have one we are going to bill you our cost for it retroactively, or you can buy your own(off a larger approved model list) and return ours. but to tack on this fee under the guise of leasing may have a lower initial impact, but it only opens the door to more and more such fees in the future - that's what really bugs me.

BTW, I have no proof of this but I'll bet Motorola paid TWC a HUGE under the table bribe to keep only their modems on the approval list (if you ever worked as a buyer for a company that had it's own "approved vendor list" you'll know exactly what i'm talking about). i'm only with TWC under a year and already i've been given a RCA modem and Ubee modem, so this Motorola only nonsense had to be motivated by some factor that will never see the light of day. to be honest, i'm not thrilled about having to buy a modem going into 2013 that was contemporary to 2004.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5 to shawnunder7

Premium Member

to shawnunder7
This money grab has got me fuming. Yeah it's only $4 but to suddenly do this is horrendous. My building is in the process of being wired for FIOS. As a matter of fact 80% of the apartments are done and able to receive the service. Unfortunately I am one of the 20% but if Verizon and the super get their acts together I could be ready as early as next week.
If so then bye-bye TWC.
The ironic thing is that, since I have telephone service with TWC, I would keep my modem even if I bought a new one. That to me is really stupid.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by Pathfinder5:

This money grab has got me fuming. Yeah it's only $4 but to suddenly do this is horrendous. My building is in the process of being wired for FIOS. As a matter of fact 80% of the apartments are done and able to receive the service. Unfortunately I am one of the 20% but if Verizon and the super get their acts together I could be ready as early as next week.
If so then bye-bye TWC.
The ironic thing is that, since I have telephone service with TWC, I would keep my modem even if I bought a new one. That to me is really stupid.

I did couple days ago and man I am happy!

on TWC I had 50/5
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Listen,

I had NEVER paid a modem fee. I always owned my own. It lasted 8 years w/ TWC. My mother the same. I paid no more than $40 each. TWC always had line problems, but lets face it modems rarely ever go bad, and the power supply is usually the culprit. At no time ever did TWC not take care of the problem or blame my modem. In fact when I swapped mine 8 years ago, the person took down my CPE MAC and it one minute it was provisioned. This was 8 years ago, so I'm sure the issue is more w/ billing systems and training than the actual provisioning system. Back in those days, they were way more lax on what equipment too. In the end I get fed up w/ TWC jacking up my rates (I was a customer for over a decade), they didn't care, and off to FIOS I went.

I went to FIOS, and its less than $100 for the 3 play and let me tell you fast on upload (I use cloud services). My old 15/2 would suck wind on backing up files into the cloud. Still a major gap in cable, IMHO.

However now Verizon is newly greedy, and they want to jack up my rates 30% for the same package, so I will probably go back to TWC but ONLY for cable. VOIP uses voip.ms ($5 a month max no taxes) and TBH my wife only watches broadcast, so I don't need to spend a dime on cable. So into rates are in the $30's, so I can pocket the extra $65 a month. Even if I keep them, $50 will do for HSI. Getting naked HSI from Verizon is a sham, $70-$80.

So in all these guys just lose out, because people keep scaling back as they add fees, until they become a dumb pipe. At that point they will implement caps, but that won't stop the damage.

My inlaws in Canada just got Teksavvy w/ 300GB cap (that's a lot) for $35 a month, and this is ultra expensive Canada--so there is hope (and it runs on Rogers which charges 3x for a smaller cap). Go figure. Their previous was Bell w/ a 25GB cap for $50.

isabella
@rr.com

isabella to Stacy

Anon

to Stacy
I am a senior living on a fixed income,,what is this new fee about..
corporations making more money and forgetting about us little guys... I am very seriously thinking of leaving twc maybe more of us should complain or just plain leave..
hl siny

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG to Jabbu

Premium Member

to Jabbu
N.M.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to shawnunder7

Mod

to shawnunder7
I just got my bill in the mail today...low and behold, they charged me the modem lease fee plus sales tax! The period is for 10/08 to 11/07, even though I returned it on 10/6. Going to call TWC to give them a piece of my mind.

Watch out in your next bill. TWC will try sneaking it on you for this month.