uniqs
share rss forum feed

Widmark

join:2012-10-07
San Francisco, CA
reply to shawnunder7

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

said by shawnunder7:

That's exactly what i am going to get Btw, does anyone know is DirecTV is any good? I am planning to double play the phone and internet, and moving somewhere else for TV, since that takes a big chunk of my bill due to boxes. My only option is satellite or cable.

I have Directv and like it much better than TWC...cheaper...better picture for me.... And better/faster UI for the guide/etc. I have the home media H34 setup and love the single DVR for whole home. My big gripe is I can't pause live tv in any room except the one with the DVR. Hopefully DTV gets this.

shawnunder7

join:2011-10-08
Yup, not only that but my other boxes are soo small compared to the TW boxes. I have a lot of extras on my package too, since im a new customer and all.

pizz
1gbps is all the rage.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to shawnunder7
I know i'm in the minority. But i don't mind the fee, because i know i can get a swap out anytime. Not saying owing your old modem isn't a great choice.
--
Fantasy football is Dungeons & Dragons for the guys who beat up kids that played D&D.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
some of us do the math... i spent $28 which means in 7 months my modem is free (giving me a fee free year until FiOS gets in my building in 2014). others do it out of principle by taking away a cable monopolist's excuse to charge extra. some use it as an excuse to get a higher end modem than what TWC is leasing them. there's nothing wrong with conscientiously deciding to pay the fee and lease.

it's just tragic that 90% of those who do, will out of ignorance, fear, or plain laziness -which is exactly what TWC is counting on to score another $300,000,000 per year in revenue for doing what really should be a deposit on equipment free system, where you forfeit that deposit if you don't return the modem.

this is exactly why i cut the cord and dropped my POTs line years ago. my bill had more fees and taxes in it than actual phone service charges. in NYC our electric bill is the same way... it lists a dozen different one shot fees/taxes and per kiliwat fees and taxes, that i can't even tell how much i'm paying per kilowatt hour, so i just divide the entire bill - when you do that you come up with over .50cent/kwh - that's triple the national average!

if TWC was being legit with us, they'd say look... we can't afford to give you a modem anymore(also ridiculous but i'd play along), so if you have one we are going to bill you our cost for it retroactively, or you can buy your own(off a larger approved model list) and return ours. but to tack on this fee under the guise of leasing may have a lower initial impact, but it only opens the door to more and more such fees in the future - that's what really bugs me.

BTW, I have no proof of this but I'll bet Motorola paid TWC a HUGE under the table bribe to keep only their modems on the approval list (if you ever worked as a buyer for a company that had it's own "approved vendor list" you'll know exactly what i'm talking about). i'm only with TWC under a year and already i've been given a RCA modem and Ubee modem, so this Motorola only nonsense had to be motivated by some factor that will never see the light of day. to be honest, i'm not thrilled about having to buy a modem going into 2013 that was contemporary to 2004.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to shawnunder7
This money grab has got me fuming. Yeah it's only $4 but to suddenly do this is horrendous. My building is in the process of being wired for FIOS. As a matter of fact 80% of the apartments are done and able to receive the service. Unfortunately I am one of the 20% but if Verizon and the super get their acts together I could be ready as early as next week.
If so then bye-bye TWC.
The ironic thing is that, since I have telephone service with TWC, I would keep my modem even if I bought a new one. That to me is really stupid.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Pathfinder:

This money grab has got me fuming. Yeah it's only $4 but to suddenly do this is horrendous. My building is in the process of being wired for FIOS. As a matter of fact 80% of the apartments are done and able to receive the service. Unfortunately I am one of the 20% but if Verizon and the super get their acts together I could be ready as early as next week.
If so then bye-bye TWC.
The ironic thing is that, since I have telephone service with TWC, I would keep my modem even if I bought a new one. That to me is really stupid.

I did couple days ago and man I am happy!

on TWC I had 50/5

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Listen,

I had NEVER paid a modem fee. I always owned my own. It lasted 8 years w/ TWC. My mother the same. I paid no more than $40 each. TWC always had line problems, but lets face it modems rarely ever go bad, and the power supply is usually the culprit. At no time ever did TWC not take care of the problem or blame my modem. In fact when I swapped mine 8 years ago, the person took down my CPE MAC and it one minute it was provisioned. This was 8 years ago, so I'm sure the issue is more w/ billing systems and training than the actual provisioning system. Back in those days, they were way more lax on what equipment too. In the end I get fed up w/ TWC jacking up my rates (I was a customer for over a decade), they didn't care, and off to FIOS I went.

I went to FIOS, and its less than $100 for the 3 play and let me tell you fast on upload (I use cloud services). My old 15/2 would suck wind on backing up files into the cloud. Still a major gap in cable, IMHO.

However now Verizon is newly greedy, and they want to jack up my rates 30% for the same package, so I will probably go back to TWC but ONLY for cable. VOIP uses voip.ms ($5 a month max no taxes) and TBH my wife only watches broadcast, so I don't need to spend a dime on cable. So into rates are in the $30's, so I can pocket the extra $65 a month. Even if I keep them, $50 will do for HSI. Getting naked HSI from Verizon is a sham, $70-$80.

So in all these guys just lose out, because people keep scaling back as they add fees, until they become a dumb pipe. At that point they will implement caps, but that won't stop the damage.

My inlaws in Canada just got Teksavvy w/ 300GB cap (that's a lot) for $35 a month, and this is ultra expensive Canada--so there is hope (and it runs on Rogers which charges 3x for a smaller cap). Go figure. Their previous was Bell w/ a 25GB cap for $50.

isabella

@rr.com
reply to Stacy
I am a senior living on a fixed income,,what is this new fee about..
corporations making more money and forgetting about us little guys... I am very seriously thinking of leaving twc maybe more of us should complain or just plain leave..
hl siny

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to Jabbu
N.M.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2
reply to shawnunder7
I just got my bill in the mail today...low and behold, they charged me the modem lease fee plus sales tax! The period is for 10/08 to 11/07, even though I returned it on 10/6. Going to call TWC to give them a piece of my mind.

Watch out in your next bill. TWC will try sneaking it on you for this month.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
wow... my billing period starts on oct'15 so i hope my bill has no surprises. my guess is if you simply pay the normal and ignore the $4 extra they'll just reverse it out on the next bill whether you call or not - but i'll be curious to hear what they say about this when you call - i probably won't call if i see the charge just to observe if they auto reverse it next month. if not i have the return receipt so either way they'll have to reverse it eventually. damn, it must suck to work at TWC this month... first they get an earful about the returns, now about the billing, these TWC executives really set us all up for a miserable month.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY

1 edit
I'm just going to call anyways because they're also giving me hell with erratic signal strength. TWC has really been a thorn in my side for the past few weeks after 10 years of relative peace (other than a couple modem exchanges).

Edit: Calling now and TWC service is laughable. First I got All Circuits Busy for the first few tries. Now I'm on hold with no music. A voice comes on every 3 mins telling me to remain on hold or leave a message.

--

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Whitestone, NY
On hold for 15 mins but a person finally answered the line. Told me that they see my modem return in the system and that I was automatically credited the $4.30 I was charged for the modem fee+tax. I can go ahead and just pay my usual amount ($61.90 for Turbo). Bills were probably just pre-printed ahead of my modem return.

Now that's been taken care of. Now I have to go deal with TWC's crappy signal strength.
--

leno

join:2004-04-02
Astoria, NY
reply to shawnunder7
did any one get their modem deposit back after installing your own modem?

patt2k

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Straphanger
said by Straphanger:

On hold for 15 mins but a person finally answered the line. Told me that they see my modem return in the system and that I was automatically credited the $4.30 I was charged for the modem fee+tax. I can go ahead and just pay my usual amount ($61.90 for Turbo). Bills were probably just pre-printed ahead of my modem return.

Now that's been taken care of. Now I have to go deal with TWC's crappy signal strength.

Can't believie you are paying 61$ for Turbo when I was with TWC I was paying 59$ for 50/5
Expand your moderator at work

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to leno

said by leno:

did any one get their modem deposit back after installing your own modem?

does anyone have an answer for this? i'll have to dig up my first bill - i remember paying some sort of installation charge, but i'm not sure if i paid anything attributed to getting my first modem from TWC last year.

BTW did anyone with the lease charge on their bill also get a sales tax charge? i see a $1.27 "partial one week charge" and .11 sales tax on my bill - first time they did this. i'll wait till next month to see if they reverse this 1.27+.11 charge before i call to inquire about it. good thing i bought a modem - now i see it may save me $4 and the annoying sales tax as well. now you see why nobody from government is complaining on our behalf - as long as they get their cut of the action

anons22

@rr.com
how do you activate a new modem?

can i activate the new modem while the running the other one?

my current modem is running through a splitter so i don't see why the new modem won't work on the other end of the split

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
You have to call TWC to activate it. They'll take down the MAC address of the modem and tell you it'll be activated with 2-3 days. When the activation takes place, your old modem will be deactivated and your new one will be activated. Both will not be active at the same time (unless the tech screws up and leaves both on the account).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

leno

join:2004-04-02
Astoria, NY
Don't wait 2~3 days. just call the level 3 number on page 1. It only took me 10mins to complete the process.

jeblis

join:2012-10-08
Austin, TX
Apparently they're getting this down. Called the main support number, she immediately took my mac address, called someone, checked that it was online, had me check it. 10 minutes and done. (thanks NY guinea pigs!)

Also the new sb6141 modem is great. No more stutters/surges when downloading things. I don't see the boosts up to 30 but I get the consistent 15 I'm paying for. Pings/latency seems a lot better.

davepix

@rr.com
reply to shawnunder7
I bought a SB5101 on Amazon for about $49, the cost of a year of the lease.

Think of it this way, I'll use it for at least a year and TWC will have a pile of used old modems. I called them to request they drop the fee considering the modem in my apt is now a year old and they didn't budge. Now they can have the old one. Not the most environmentally responsible option but it's a protest vote.

TWC, I'll drop you in a heartbeat considering your lack of customer loyalty.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
Originally Customer modems had to be added by another department other than Tier 3. This probably changed due to the volume of customer modem's being added. So getting to Tier 3 is now the fastest way.

patt2k

reply to shawnunder7
-remove please

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY
reply to shawnunder7

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 in the works

hmm DOCSIS 3.1 article at DSL here today suggests user will need new modem. Talking gig speeds, backward to 3.0 but now looks better to lease for year or two & have TW pay for new modem? W/o any flash upgrade of 3.0 that changed my equation of buying a brick.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
it's not that docsis 3.1 modems will be backward compatible with 3.0, rather that cable companies will support both channel types until enough of their system is changed over to 3.1 for them to retire 3.0 but this may take several years to happen, so you are safe buying that 3.0 modem but you won't be able to simply bios flash update it once it's channel support is suspended on your cable network many years from now. even though the industry claims they will try to make the transition faster then 2.0 to 3.0, there really is no killer application that warrants so much bandwidth per end user, and if that fact takes the profit incentive out of this 3.1 transition, the actual phase out of 3.0 may take far longer than the actual logistics of doing it would suggest.

E75

join:2003-06-05
New York, NY
I've been with RR/TWC for over 10 years and I never upgraded my RR service so I have standard service.
I'm finally considering buying my own modem and you guys' posts made me think I will be OK with SB5101U at least for now.
I don't play online games and don't watch much videos online.
In my case, 6141 doesn't seem necessary for now.
If I buy SB5101U, it costs me about same as 1 year rental fee.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Bucolic

@rr.com
reply to Fleeced

How does one go to Tier 3 support? Just ask to be transferred?

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
Depends on the market. PRetty sure someone posted a direct number to Tier 3 for NYC on the first page.

@E75 You'll be fine as long as standard doesn't go above 30 down.

E75

join:2003-06-05
New York, NY
Thank you, jmruss.

Bucolic, someone posted Tier 3 direct number is
866-506-0218.