Search similar:

uniqs
jeblis
join:2012-10-08
Austin, TX

jeblis to leno

to leno

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

Apparently they're getting this down. Called the main support number, she immediately took my mac address, called someone, checked that it was online, had me check it. 10 minutes and done. (thanks NY guinea pigs!)

Also the new sb6141 modem is great. No more stutters/surges when downloading things. I don't see the boosts up to 30 but I get the consistent 15 I'm paying for. Pings/latency seems a lot better.

davepix
@rr.com

davepix to shawnunder7

Anon

to shawnunder7
I bought a SB5101 on Amazon for about $49, the cost of a year of the lease.

Think of it this way, I'll use it for at least a year and TWC will have a pile of used old modems. I called them to request they drop the fee considering the modem in my apt is now a year old and they didn't budge. Now they can have the old one. Not the most environmentally responsible option but it's a protest vote.

TWC, I'll drop you in a heartbeat considering your lack of customer loyalty.
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced

Originally Customer modems had to be added by another department other than Tier 3. This probably changed due to the volume of customer modem's being added. So getting to Tier 3 is now the fastest way.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7
-remove please
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 in the works

hmm DOCSIS 3.1 article at DSL here today suggests user will need new modem. Talking gig speeds, backward to 3.0 but now looks better to lease for year or two & have TW pay for new modem? W/o any flash upgrade of 3.0 that changed my equation of buying a brick.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

it's not that docsis 3.1 modems will be backward compatible with 3.0, rather that cable companies will support both channel types until enough of their system is changed over to 3.1 for them to retire 3.0 but this may take several years to happen, so you are safe buying that 3.0 modem but you won't be able to simply bios flash update it once it's channel support is suspended on your cable network many years from now. even though the industry claims they will try to make the transition faster then 2.0 to 3.0, there really is no killer application that warrants so much bandwidth per end user, and if that fact takes the profit incentive out of this 3.1 transition, the actual phase out of 3.0 may take far longer than the actual logistics of doing it would suggest.
E75
join:2003-06-05
New York, NY

E75

I've been with RR/TWC for over 10 years and I never upgraded my RR service so I have standard service.
I'm finally considering buying my own modem and you guys' posts made me think I will be OK with SB5101U at least for now.
I don't play online games and don't watch much videos online.
In my case, 6141 doesn't seem necessary for now.
If I buy SB5101U, it costs me about same as 1 year rental fee.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Bucolic
@rr.com

Bucolic to Fleeced

Anon

to Fleeced

How does one go to Tier 3 support? Just ask to be transferred?
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced

Depends on the market. PRetty sure someone posted a direct number to Tier 3 for NYC on the first page.

@E75 You'll be fine as long as standard doesn't go above 30 down.
E75
join:2003-06-05
New York, NY

E75

Thank you, jmruss.

Bucolic, someone posted Tier 3 direct number is
866-506-0218.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by E75:

Thank you, jmruss.

Bucolic, someone posted Tier 3 direct number is
866-506-0218.

Yes that was me :P its also in here
»[TWC] TWC New York Modem Activation

Thinkaboutit to shawnunder7

Anon

to shawnunder7

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC - Gripe, buy new or rent.

Hmmmm $3.95 a month rental for a $135.00 modem (extreme)? If I bought it, it would take 33 months for me to cover my purchase in what I save from TWC. The warranty is for only a year. If it dies after 12 months, I'll have to buy a new $135.00 modem (adding another 33 months). In 33 months, most definitely a newer, faster version will be available. If I decide to upgrade the service to ultimate or downgrade to a slower cheaper service plan, the modem I bought will not work.

I have the new TWC installed SBG6580 modem at my house. $3.95 a month gets me a new modem, service if I have issues, replacement if it craps out and allows me to upgrade/downgrade the service if I choose to. The service also provides newer equipment when it becomes available.

You decide what you want to do. I'll stay with the rental.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

We will decide when you are not anon anymore.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to shawnunder7

Premium Member

to shawnunder7

I just hope sandy storm doesnt destroy too much above ground tw infastructure today because after nearly a year tw finally found issues and fixed them with their wiring around rockaways in queens. And now this sandy storm is gonna possibly wreck all that

bradenmcg
join:2000-10-26
Cleveland, OH

bradenmcg to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
NE Ohio (at least) definitely does allow more than one modem. My parents have been using an SB5101 or 5100 for internet, plus the separate eMTA from TWC for phone (they are in totally different locations in the house).

ex15
join:2000-11-30
Santa Clarita, CA

ex15 to JimMcCoy

to JimMcCoy
I have the 50/5 and uses the SB6121, found for $59.00 dollars on amazon, the main difference between the SB6141 is 8 bounded channels verse the 4 bonded. TW only uses 4 bonded channels.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

the 6121 was not on the approved list here in nyc which is why many were stuck getting the more expensive one. it's likely the number of channels varies by regional system, and is not a nationwide limit on twc which has to compete with Verizon FiOS here in the northeast.

ex15
join:2000-11-30
Santa Clarita, CA

ex15

Same here on the west cost the SB6162 is not on the approved list but TW still will activate it and support it, I just called and gave them my new MAC address and it was activated with in 5 mins. Thought this might help

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

yes, we've heard several anecdotes of not listed modems getting activated anyway - kinda sucks that TWCable doesn't just publish the whole list, but my cynical guess is Motorola paid them not to so they could move the most profitable and most channel stocked inventory.
kelemvor
join:2005-09-01
Sussex, WI

kelemvor to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7
Is there a list of "budget" modems that will work with my Roadrunner service? I don't need wireless, don't use Cable TV, don't use their phone servers... Looking for something I can pick up from Amazon or whatever. I've heard people mention $20-$30 modems that work fine but don't know if there's any downside to that. Just don't want to waste time ordering something that ends up not working.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Technically, any DOCSIS2 or DOCSIS3 modem will work. TWC has an "approved" list, which only features expensive DOCSIS3 modems (in addition to D2 modems). They should activate any modem (per FCC), but I don't know that they will.

If you don't have one of their wideband tiers, you can purchase an SB5101 from eBay for around $20-30 and use it no problem. It will be using last generation technology, though, so if congestion worsens in the future, you may see your speeds decrease.
kelemvor
join:2005-09-01
Sussex, WI

kelemvor

Yeah, I noticed the only ones they listed were expensive. I assume this was to try to make people not want to buy one and just keep shelling out more money every month. I'll see what I can find on ebay or newegg or something.
Thanks.
davidterrano
join:2012-11-06
Brooklyn, NY

davidterrano to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7

Using my Optimum modem?

Hi,

Having the same problem right now, have just moved home and the new place only has TW, so I have no other option but to go with them.

I already have a modem from my previous account with Optimum, it's a Motorola SBV5121XM. I'm hoping that this list of approved modems is just BS, and that in fact other modems MAY work too... could that be possible?

Also, they charge a further 5.99 for a wifi router... Again, I have my own NETGEAR WPN824N... will this work?

The previous tenant already had TimeWarner hooked up, so I tried plugging the cable into the modem... it gave good signal (the right lights flashing - i think!), but no net. But maybe that's because the previous account has been disabled already...

I was hoping to find something online showing how to hack past any restrictions by messing around with settings in the modem's control panel that could make it work... But I ended up here.

Any network buffs here who could offer some advice?
Expand your moderator at work

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to davidterrano

MVM,

to davidterrano

Re: Using my Optimum modem?

said by davidterrano:

Hi,

Having the same problem right now, have just moved home and the new place only has TW, so I have no other option but to go with them.

I already have a modem from my previous account with Optimum, it's a Motorola SBV5121XM. I'm hoping that this list of approved modems is just BS, and that in fact other modems MAY work too... could that be possible?

Did you purchase this modem yourself? Voice modems are usually not sold retail - if you got it from CableVision, they'll be asking for it back soon.

But, yes, it will technically work with TWC (internet-only. I doubt they'll activate the voice portion). If they give you a problem, you may be able to tell them it's a SB5101 to get it registered.
said by davidterrano:

Also, they charge a further 5.99 for a wifi router... Again, I have my own NETGEAR WPN824N... will this work?

Any router will work.
said by davidterrano:

The previous tenant already had TimeWarner hooked up, so I tried plugging the cable into the modem... it gave good signal (the right lights flashing - i think!), but no net. But maybe that's because the previous account has been disabled already...

The modem must be registered in TWC's database to fully sync up and allow network access.
said by davidterrano:

I was hoping to find something online showing how to hack past any restrictions by messing around with settings in the modem's control panel that could make it work... But I ended up here.

Hacking cable modems is illegal and not discussed here. In many cases, it's also very easy for the cable company to notice (and prosecute you).

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to shawnunder7

Premium Member

to shawnunder7

"But, yes, it will technically work with TWC (internet-only. I doubt they'll activate the voice portion). If they give you a problem, you may be able to tell them it's a SB5101 to get it registered."

I really want to say this. Encouraging people to lie about the modem they have is just setting up an issue down the line. Sure it may work right now, but who knows what is in store.

Thanks

Hob
davidterrano
join:2012-11-06
Brooklyn, NY

davidterrano to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff

Re: Using my Optimum modem?

said by Thinkdiff:

said by davidterrano:

Hi,

Did you purchase this modem yourself? Voice modems are usually not sold retail - if you got it from CableVision, they'll be asking for it back soon.

But, yes, it will technically work with TWC (internet-only. I doubt they'll activate the voice portion). If they give you a problem, you may be able to tell them it's a SB5101 to get it registered.

yeah cablevision provided it to me... but didn't I buy it from them in the first place? If not, then did I just rent it for a flat rate? Not too far off TWC's antics, apart from it being on ongoing monthly rate.

Good point about telling them that it's simply another model.
said by Thinkdiff:

said by davidterrano:

Any router will work.

Super
said by Thinkdiff:

said by davidterrano:

The modem must be registered in TWC's database to fully sync up and allow network access.
said by davidterrano:

Hacking cable modems is illegal and not discussed here. In many cases, it's also very easy for the cable company to notice (and prosecute you).

gotcha. Thanks for the advice

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"yeah cablevision provided it to me... but didn't I buy it from them in the first place? If not, then did I just rent it for a flat rate? Not too far off TWC's antics, apart from it being on ongoing monthly rate."

I dont believe any cable company sells modems.
Expect a bill for maybe about 100 bucks.

Hob

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to davidterrano

MVM,

to davidterrano
said by davidterrano:

yeah cablevision provided it to me... but didn't I buy it from them in the first place? If not, then did I just rent it for a flat rate? Not too far off TWC's antics, apart from it being on ongoing monthly rate.

Cablevision offers a "free to lease" cable modem. Effectively, the rental fee is built into the base rate.

You'll be buying the modem when they send you a collection notice for unreturned equipment.
quickguide1
join:2010-02-10

quickguide1 to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7

Okay im going to purchase a modem from ebay. I use time warner 29.99/month road runner.

Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem

Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem

One cost $56 whereas the other costs $65. Is there anything different about the two? One person mentioned the $65 one the sb5101 didn't work because his was made in UK and not usa and thus not compatible with time warner??

Also another silly question. I have a linkssy wrt54g router that i currently use. I see people talking about wanting to buy a cheap modem with wireless. Do they mean like a modem where has wireless capabilities so they just need a modem to have both internet and wireless?

I have a linksys wrt54 router so it doesn't matter which modem i buy from the 2 above right?

Another question. Can i just buy the same RCA modem from time warner? Someone said they actually did this and it work even though in the time warner page they said its not one of the ones that they require???