Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to kelemvor

MVM,

to kelemvor

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

Technically, any DOCSIS2 or DOCSIS3 modem will work. TWC has an "approved" list, which only features expensive DOCSIS3 modems (in addition to D2 modems). They should activate any modem (per FCC), but I don't know that they will.

If you don't have one of their wideband tiers, you can purchase an SB5101 from eBay for around $20-30 and use it no problem. It will be using last generation technology, though, so if congestion worsens in the future, you may see your speeds decrease.
kelemvor
join:2005-09-01
Sussex, WI

kelemvor

Yeah, I noticed the only ones they listed were expensive. I assume this was to try to make people not want to buy one and just keep shelling out more money every month. I'll see what I can find on ebay or newegg or something.
Thanks.
davidterrano
join:2012-11-06
Brooklyn, NY

davidterrano to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7

Using my Optimum modem?

Hi,

Having the same problem right now, have just moved home and the new place only has TW, so I have no other option but to go with them.

I already have a modem from my previous account with Optimum, it's a Motorola SBV5121XM. I'm hoping that this list of approved modems is just BS, and that in fact other modems MAY work too... could that be possible?

Also, they charge a further 5.99 for a wifi router... Again, I have my own NETGEAR WPN824N... will this work?

The previous tenant already had TimeWarner hooked up, so I tried plugging the cable into the modem... it gave good signal (the right lights flashing - i think!), but no net. But maybe that's because the previous account has been disabled already...

I was hoping to find something online showing how to hack past any restrictions by messing around with settings in the modem's control panel that could make it work... But I ended up here.

Any network buffs here who could offer some advice?
Expand your moderator at work

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to davidterrano

MVM,

to davidterrano

Re: Using my Optimum modem?

said by davidterrano:

Hi,

Having the same problem right now, have just moved home and the new place only has TW, so I have no other option but to go with them.

I already have a modem from my previous account with Optimum, it's a Motorola SBV5121XM. I'm hoping that this list of approved modems is just BS, and that in fact other modems MAY work too... could that be possible?

Did you purchase this modem yourself? Voice modems are usually not sold retail - if you got it from CableVision, they'll be asking for it back soon.

But, yes, it will technically work with TWC (internet-only. I doubt they'll activate the voice portion). If they give you a problem, you may be able to tell them it's a SB5101 to get it registered.
said by davidterrano:

Also, they charge a further 5.99 for a wifi router... Again, I have my own NETGEAR WPN824N... will this work?

Any router will work.
said by davidterrano:

The previous tenant already had TimeWarner hooked up, so I tried plugging the cable into the modem... it gave good signal (the right lights flashing - i think!), but no net. But maybe that's because the previous account has been disabled already...

The modem must be registered in TWC's database to fully sync up and allow network access.
said by davidterrano:

I was hoping to find something online showing how to hack past any restrictions by messing around with settings in the modem's control panel that could make it work... But I ended up here.

Hacking cable modems is illegal and not discussed here. In many cases, it's also very easy for the cable company to notice (and prosecute you).

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to shawnunder7

Premium Member

to shawnunder7

"But, yes, it will technically work with TWC (internet-only. I doubt they'll activate the voice portion). If they give you a problem, you may be able to tell them it's a SB5101 to get it registered."

I really want to say this. Encouraging people to lie about the modem they have is just setting up an issue down the line. Sure it may work right now, but who knows what is in store.

Thanks

Hob
davidterrano
join:2012-11-06
Brooklyn, NY

davidterrano to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff

Re: Using my Optimum modem?

said by Thinkdiff:

said by davidterrano:

Hi,

Did you purchase this modem yourself? Voice modems are usually not sold retail - if you got it from CableVision, they'll be asking for it back soon.

But, yes, it will technically work with TWC (internet-only. I doubt they'll activate the voice portion). If they give you a problem, you may be able to tell them it's a SB5101 to get it registered.

yeah cablevision provided it to me... but didn't I buy it from them in the first place? If not, then did I just rent it for a flat rate? Not too far off TWC's antics, apart from it being on ongoing monthly rate.

Good point about telling them that it's simply another model.
said by Thinkdiff:

said by davidterrano:

Any router will work.

Super
said by Thinkdiff:

said by davidterrano:

The modem must be registered in TWC's database to fully sync up and allow network access.
said by davidterrano:

Hacking cable modems is illegal and not discussed here. In many cases, it's also very easy for the cable company to notice (and prosecute you).

gotcha. Thanks for the advice

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"yeah cablevision provided it to me... but didn't I buy it from them in the first place? If not, then did I just rent it for a flat rate? Not too far off TWC's antics, apart from it being on ongoing monthly rate."

I dont believe any cable company sells modems.
Expect a bill for maybe about 100 bucks.

Hob

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to davidterrano

MVM,

to davidterrano
said by davidterrano:

yeah cablevision provided it to me... but didn't I buy it from them in the first place? If not, then did I just rent it for a flat rate? Not too far off TWC's antics, apart from it being on ongoing monthly rate.

Cablevision offers a "free to lease" cable modem. Effectively, the rental fee is built into the base rate.

You'll be buying the modem when they send you a collection notice for unreturned equipment.
quickguide1
join:2010-02-10

quickguide1 to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7

Okay im going to purchase a modem from ebay. I use time warner 29.99/month road runner.

Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem

Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem

One cost $56 whereas the other costs $65. Is there anything different about the two? One person mentioned the $65 one the sb5101 didn't work because his was made in UK and not usa and thus not compatible with time warner??

Also another silly question. I have a linkssy wrt54g router that i currently use. I see people talking about wanting to buy a cheap modem with wireless. Do they mean like a modem where has wireless capabilities so they just need a modem to have both internet and wireless?

I have a linksys wrt54 router so it doesn't matter which modem i buy from the 2 above right?

Another question. Can i just buy the same RCA modem from time warner? Someone said they actually did this and it work even though in the time warner page they said its not one of the ones that they require???
quickguide1

quickguide1 to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7
Another question. In our bill i see it charged us the modem fee and it dates november 9 to december 8. Does that mean i have to return the modem back to time warner the latest is december 1 or so if i don't want to get charged the following month? Since its now november 10th, that means even if i return it say this week, i'm charged no matter what?

I do know for example if i were to cancel my time warner road runner now... i would only be charged for whatever amount of days i used since last time i changed from time warner to earth link like 1/3rd into the month and got a refund back from time warner of 2/3rd the month and i obviously got charged for earthlink though. I assume this monthly fee they charge, they won't even return 1/2 of it even if you return it say 1/2 the time into the period? Yea its only $2 or so but I'm curious.

Also, do you guys go and bring the modem to the time warner place or do you mail it back?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to quickguide1

MVM,

to quickguide1
You cannot use a EuroDOCSIS Modem on TWC. As long as the SB5101 is from the US, it'll work. I don't think the U in the SB5101U indicates it's from the US, it's just a different version of the SB5101.

Technically, you can use any DOCSIS2/3 modem with TWC. As long as you can get the customer service rep to enter the MAC address, it'll work.

As for the bill, I believe they'll prorate even the modem fee.

Terrys spot

Anon

Hi, I live in Southport,NC. Below Wilimington. I received my "card" About the $3.95 per month charge. So Ny Ker's You are not the only ones... I have a Motorola SB5120...I contacted TW Chat. They told me it was not approved and would not address. By what i have been reading here, that's not true?

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers to shawnunder7

Premium Member

to shawnunder7
SB5101U and SB5101 are the exact same modem provisionally - one simply has a pointless ethernet cutoff button.

posts about people getting away with using an SB5120 or other modems not on the list are purely anecdotal.
adrman
Premium Member
join:2007-08-23
New York, NY

adrman

Premium Member

said by Packeteers:

one simply has a pointless ethernet cutoff button.

It's not pointless. It's there for your wife to accidentally hit while cleaning and drive you crazy until you figure it out.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob to shawnunder7

Premium Member

to shawnunder7
I just ordered an SB6141 from EBay. Brand new, free shipping. $92.89.
popartist
join:2005-08-06
Brooklyn, NY

popartist to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7
Have RR Standard and. unlike most here, I went with a SBG901 that I got on Amazon for $89. I have been wanting wireless for awhile (and just purchased a new tablet), so I wanted an all-in-one solution, rather than a cheap modem and a cheap router (which likely would have cost about the same in total). A far reaching wireless range was not a consideration as I live in a studio apt.

It was pretty easy to set up - did it the Sunday afternoon when Sandy was approaching (but hadn't hit yet) so the wait time on the phone was about 20 mins., and it took under 15 mins. to get the modem provisioned and on the network. This was just with regular customer service. Internet was acting a little funky right after that for the rest of the afternoon, but by the next day (Sandy) and since, everything has been working very smoothly, and my tablet and phone have been fine connecting with the wireless. The included software basically did all the settings. Couldn't be happier with the whole set-up.