Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10
reply to bluepoint

Totally agree, Do not even think of buying anything other than a D3 modem. Things are moving real quick.

Hob

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

DOCSIS 3 is still an unnecessary waste of money. Most of those who recommend them are just trying to justify their own bad purchases.

Pass whatever you got man, thats some good stuff.

funehi

@rr.com
reply to Straphanger

This is my question too. When I was looking at the approved devices list at the indicated website, I was asked if I wanted to chat with a csr. The online rep I talked to stated that her information is that Turbo should work with Docsis 2 modems (which I am assuming is true since no one has offfered me a docsis 3 modem and I have been using turbo for years now). So why do I need a docsis 3 modem? I am really considering RCN now as I am already paying $62/month just for 20/2 internet service. RCN is advertising 50/6 for $50 this year, 60 next and 70 in year 3. The only problem is getting my wife switched out from the TWC email system. I live in Astoria and fios isn't here and probably won't be here to the very last date required by their contract (if they ever do get here).

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

" So why do I need a docsis 3 modem? "

My belief this would be to cover any future upgrade. If TWC upped the speed of Turbo to something that required a D3 modem we would see complaints in here from someone who just bought a D2 modem and now its been superseded by D3.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

shawnunder7

join:2011-10-08
reply to hobgoblin

That's exactly what i am going to get Btw, does anyone know is DirecTV is any good? I am planning to double play the phone and internet, and moving somewhere else for TV, since that takes a big chunk of my bill due to boxes. My only option is satellite or cable.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to hobgoblin

Ohio is a totally different TWC as far as TWC Inc is considered. in Ohio TWC actually is TWC, LLC, in other areas they are TWC, Inc. Not sure why the difference except that in Ohio all of the service areas are totally different with their own policies and such.

The ones that have DP and want a wireless solution, just got a Netgear wireless router that was connected to the DP. That was before the all in one modem/EMTA,etc. But new customers get an all in one modem with router. The EMTAs are still MOT with no battery for the most part and a netgear router for wireless home.

Ohio is still one of the last areas that still uses Canada for National Help and one of the few years that will patch you through to tier 3 without a ticket.

The main problem with TWC, INC/LLC is that each area operates as their own company and does as they wish. I never really got that and I know a long time ago they were to be done away with and only would be TWC East and TWC West but that never happened. I think it would make more sense that they would take the Comcast, Charter, etc approach and just merge everyone into ONE company with ONE policy for everything which would make EVERYTHING a whole lot easier.

BTW: Mid Ohio and NEOH/WPA still has stated they are not charging a modem fee as they compete against WOW, and AT&T who charge these fees. (NEOH and Mid-Ohio also has a HUGE amount of areas that was once Adelphia- and still operates under Adelphia policies).

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC
reply to shawnunder7

MTA / EMTA used for solely phone do not incur the $3.95 fee.

Considering that TWC has not charged for the modem before, I'm curious about why the uproar to the 3.95 charge.
Given that (1) that equates to 0.13 cents per day and (2) if it breaks, you don't need to pay for a new one (given that its a rental).

I know times are tough, but some perspective is in order, I think.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24

said by JimMcCoy:

Considering that TWC has not charged for the modem before, I'm curious about why the uproar to the 3.95 charge.

You are probably a rich person that you don't mind indiscriminate increases every year. Simple answer to your question is, many TWC subs are tired of increases every year. Here in NYC, if you compare TWC's pricing to FIOS's/Directv, they are about $40 more. Tell you what, this modem fee might be the last straw for NYC'er. They just now push subs that were hesitant to move to FIOS to now just do it. The worst part of it, subs that have no choices(remain) will incur more increases cause TWC will compensate for these losses. They have to make their investors happy.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to shawnunder7

Got my card in the mail yesterday. FIOS has just lit up my apartment complex but unfortunately I am in one of about 30 apartments that Vz hasn't been able to get the fiber to yet. I am really going to push now as I am fed up with TW. The price is decent but the TV service has been much less than stellar.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to bluepoint

TV increases are different than HSI. HSI normally NEVER goes up. 2 years ago it did almost across the board but I have not seen TWC raise rates on HSI since then. And at that time they did it on both TWC and HSI.

And as for leasing the modem, what happens when your HSI does NOT work and TWC REFUSES to support you due to you are NOT using their modem? They will only support to the modem and they'll say we can see you, would you like a $50 truck roll?

And no choice, thats BS. You have a choice with RR HSI, you are free to switch to Elink.

JimMcCoy

Jacksonville, NC
reply to bluepoint

LOL I wish I was rich (I'm merely a graduate student) who's passingly good with numbers; however I understand that firms cannot absorb cost increases indefinitely.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

And that's the thing. TWC may get a discount on those modems and reuse them, but the fact is they need to be replaced at some point. and when they're out spending their $$$$ on D3 modems, d3 combo modems, etc. They're NOT going to be able to do it for long.

And when it comes down to it, it is cheaper to rent the modem, when you can get a new one if your modem goes out, also you get support for it. You do not get that with a rented modem. Instead you get a $50 truck roll fee if they find out the problem was on your end and not theirs.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to shawnunder7

Hah the next day TWC Sent those postcards fios was avaliable at my location!

FiOS TV Prime HD
Showtime (bundle package)
FiOS QuantumSM Internet Speeds up to 50 Mbps/25 Mbps

84.99 + -5$ Coupon for 12 month. = 79.99$

+ 100 Visa Gift Card
+ showtime 12 months

VS I pay for internet ONLY 59.99$ (50/5) + the fee starting next month.

Verizon it is!

bluepoint

reply to JimMcCoy

When you see their net profit, you will be LOL.

bluepoint

reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

TV increases are different than HSI. HSI normally NEVER goes up. 2 years ago it did almost across the board but I have not seen TWC raise rates on HSI since then. And at that time they did it on both TWC and HSI.

You know the reason why? TWC has not upgraded their infrastructure for a very long time. They seated comfortably for a long time because there was no competition. Now that competition is in their area, TWC is forced to upgrade their ancient infrastructure. And what do you know? They passed the expenses to us, subscribers, while they were seating on their profit for a very long time. Oh wait, this will not be the last, CAP is coming.

And no choice, thats BS. You have a choice with RR HSI, you are free to switch to Elink.

LOL, going to EL is just changing the name who bills you, you are still in TWC's system.

Gothmog1065

join:2011-11-23
reply to hottboiinnc

I know that TWC is currently working on merging their billing systems for the entire east region.

As for modems, the east region will allow two modems (One MTA/Telephony and one HSI) in a house. They don't allow two HSI modems, which is where the confusion lies. Some areas used to, but it doesn't happen anymore.

So you can use TWC's Telephony modem and your own HSI modem. As for the lease fee, I know the Carolinas don't do the lease on telephony only modems. Only HSI. This may or may not change due to the regionalization.

edit: And think about it. Even with a 4.00 lease fee (Carolinas is 2.50), it would still take at least 2 years to equalize the upfront costs for a $100 modem.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to bluepoint

TWC updated their system within the last 5-10 years. Why do you think you have HSI using HFC. The previous system would NOT have been able to do that. And you want to talk about not updating their network. look at the phone companies. They do not and still have a network that was built back in the 60s and before. FiOS is a losing battle and even attempting to compare that is a moot compare because its not going to go anywhere.

And they can pass the expense on to you. Why shouldn't they? HSI does NOT go up only TV goes up. 2 different products and TV goes up due to programming and costs of those nice people to come out and hook it up. Well the cost of business goes up EVERY YEAR. And if you don't see it on your pay check; then you should take that up with your boss.

As for Elink it only uses the last mile on the TWC system. The rest is done by their own system. And TWC does the billing. There is a new ISP coming out to TWC that is national that will do their own billing and support- unlike Elink. But at least Elink does NOT cap, nor do they charge you a modem fee. So instead of complaining about not having any choices you do. You just want to poke holes into the options.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to Gothmog1065

That has been going on for a LONG time and still basically nothing changed. The only thing the combined billing systems will do is keep people from moving from NEO/WPA to Cinci and getting service when they owe NEO-WPA money. It still doesn't correct the issues of the left doesn't know what the right hand is doing. And TWC will never know what it is doing. by getting rid of the regions and going to 1 region for prices and policy and upgrades TWC would be better off.

And in that 2 years, you could have a new modem by TWC for DOC 4 or 3.1 coming out. Owning your modem will NOT permit you to change that frequent as renting.

shawnunder7

Its not as simple as walking in a getting a Docsis 3.0 modem. At least when i tried in Queens Center mall, they said that my service wasn't Docsis 3.0, and if I wanted it, I would have to upgrade to faster service. All these fees are ridiculous. I'm running near $200 for triple play. Its about time people start to switch to whatever else, its just the fact that they know most of us in NYC have no other option than them and DSL.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

The bulk of your bill would be TV and probably Digital Phone. I don't get why people sign up with their Digital phone when its priced well over anything else. MagicJack is WAAAAAY cheaper and does NOT require the use of your computer any longer, Vonage is cheaper than Digital Phone, indie VoIP in general are cheaper than DP. Granted DP uses QOS over the network, as it should, but if you're on Price then id get rid of DP. STBs are the next bulk of the bill.

JimMcCoy

Jacksonville, NC

But MagicJack and Vonage do not permit the usage of a fax Machine. Additionally, you cannot use Magic Jack or Vonage with a security service (e.g. ADT).

TWC DP supports both quite nicely.

MVGeorge

@rr.com
reply to shawnunder7

Yes, I got the same note and it did not please me in the least. I have a 2 year contract and if I make any changes there is a penalty - but TWC can add a hidden rate increase with no problem.

Looked into purchasing a modem and at the end of the day it would take me 25 months to catch up to the price of the paid modem. By then technology will change so you never win.

If your having problems with your modem now and have to return it to TWC you might not want to purchase you own as if it burns out again, your left holding the bad. Yes, modems do burn out from power surges, lightning etc.

shawnunder7

reply to hottboiinnc

DP & RR Standard comes out to around $60 a month. Gonna take out the cable, keep them, and go to DirecTV

bluepoint

4 edits
reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

TWC updated their system within the last 5-10 years. Why do you think you have HSI using HFC. The previous system would NOT have been able to do that. And you want to talk about not updating their network. look at the phone companies. They do not and still have a network that was built back in the 60s and before. FiOS is a losing battle and even attempting to compare that is a moot compare because its not going to go anywhere.

I'm surprise by how you defend TWC. Either you are an employee or blind. A very good example of them not upgrading their infrastructure is here in NYC, specially in Queens and Brooklyn. If you were observing in this NG, you would have known that the nodes on those area were over subscribed for a long time.»[TWC] NYC Slow Speeds »[TWC] NYC - Slow Speeds, Part 2 Why? Because during prime times the internet slows to a crawl. People complain about it but were ignored. They're solution is often truck rolls which they knew is not the problem, they do that just to show they are doing something but in fact the nodes are filled to capacity. This is the same reason TWC was slow in deploying D3. They started to offer 50/5 only here in NYC when they were forced to show they were D3 going forward. At $99, TWC knew not many will subscribe to that offering, therefore they have time to fix the nodes, last years increases took care of that. Eventually, every subscriber will have to have D3 cause I believe TWC will increase the HSI speeds to be competative. These is what we are seeing now, in anticipation of the speed increases, TWC does not want to shoulder the whole expenses of giving all subscribers with a new D3 modems. It's okay if they want us to pay for the modem in installments but it must have a limit(stop) when the modem is paid up. The problem, knowing TWC, the $3.95 per month fee for the modem will not cease, it will be forever even if we have it paid up. Not only that, the fee will not stay as it is, they will increase it, maybe, $5 after two years.
Oh BTW, you said FIOS is a loosing battle? It's actually eating up TWC subscribers in NYC and will be more now. If you were a good observant of the links I posted above, majority of those have moved on that's why we don't see them now.

As for Elink it only uses the last mile on the TWC system. The rest is done by their own system. And TWC does the billing. There is a new ISP coming out to TWC that is national that will do their own billing and support- unlike Elink. But at least Elink does NOT cap, nor do they charge you a modem fee. So instead of complaining about not having any choices you do. You just want to poke holes into the options.

Oh come on, even if you move to EL, the modem fee will follow. You been warned.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

"Either you are an employee or blind."

Based on some of his other posts I dont believe he is an employee.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

shawnunder7

reply to bluepoint

I'm just sitting here waiting for Fios to reach Astoria so i can switch. Heck, even RCN would make me happy!

reply to hottboiinnc

this is also happening here where i live (irving, tx)

and i also felt a damn earthquake yesterday!!!

what a crappy weekend

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by anonnammee11 :

this is also happening here where i live (irving, tx)

and i also felt a damn earthquake yesterday!!!

what a crappy weekend

Uh oh. When is Los Angeles/L.A. going to get this leased cable modem fee? I thought old subscribers won't get it.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

1 recommendation

reply to shawnunder7

better this than having caps (speaking for nyc area).