uniqs
share rss forum feed

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to shawnunder7

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

The bulk of your bill would be TV and probably Digital Phone. I don't get why people sign up with their Digital phone when its priced well over anything else. MagicJack is WAAAAAY cheaper and does NOT require the use of your computer any longer, Vonage is cheaper than Digital Phone, indie VoIP in general are cheaper than DP. Granted DP uses QOS over the network, as it should, but if you're on Price then id get rid of DP. STBs are the next bulk of the bill.

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC
But MagicJack and Vonage do not permit the usage of a fax Machine. Additionally, you cannot use Magic Jack or Vonage with a security service (e.g. ADT).

TWC DP supports both quite nicely.

MVGeorge

@rr.com
reply to shawnunder7
Yes, I got the same note and it did not please me in the least. I have a 2 year contract and if I make any changes there is a penalty - but TWC can add a hidden rate increase with no problem.

Looked into purchasing a modem and at the end of the day it would take me 25 months to catch up to the price of the paid modem. By then technology will change so you never win.

If your having problems with your modem now and have to return it to TWC you might not want to purchase you own as if it burns out again, your left holding the bad. Yes, modems do burn out from power surges, lightning etc.

shawnunder7

join:2011-10-08
reply to hottboiinnc
DP & RR Standard comes out to around $60 a month. Gonna take out the cable, keep them, and go to DirecTV

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24

4 edits
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

TWC updated their system within the last 5-10 years. Why do you think you have HSI using HFC. The previous system would NOT have been able to do that. And you want to talk about not updating their network. look at the phone companies. They do not and still have a network that was built back in the 60s and before. FiOS is a losing battle and even attempting to compare that is a moot compare because its not going to go anywhere.

I'm surprise by how you defend TWC. Either you are an employee or blind. A very good example of them not upgrading their infrastructure is here in NYC, specially in Queens and Brooklyn. If you were observing in this NG, you would have known that the nodes on those area were over subscribed for a long time.»[TWC] NYC Slow Speeds »[TWC] NYC - Slow Speeds, Part 2 Why? Because during prime times the internet slows to a crawl. People complain about it but were ignored. They're solution is often truck rolls which they knew is not the problem, they do that just to show they are doing something but in fact the nodes are filled to capacity. This is the same reason TWC was slow in deploying D3. They started to offer 50/5 only here in NYC when they were forced to show they were D3 going forward. At $99, TWC knew not many will subscribe to that offering, therefore they have time to fix the nodes, last years increases took care of that. Eventually, every subscriber will have to have D3 cause I believe TWC will increase the HSI speeds to be competative. These is what we are seeing now, in anticipation of the speed increases, TWC does not want to shoulder the whole expenses of giving all subscribers with a new D3 modems. It's okay if they want us to pay for the modem in installments but it must have a limit(stop) when the modem is paid up. The problem, knowing TWC, the $3.95 per month fee for the modem will not cease, it will be forever even if we have it paid up. Not only that, the fee will not stay as it is, they will increase it, maybe, $5 after two years.
Oh BTW, you said FIOS is a loosing battle? It's actually eating up TWC subscribers in NYC and will be more now. If you were a good observant of the links I posted above, majority of those have moved on that's why we don't see them now.

As for Elink it only uses the last mile on the TWC system. The rest is done by their own system. And TWC does the billing. There is a new ISP coming out to TWC that is national that will do their own billing and support- unlike Elink. But at least Elink does NOT cap, nor do they charge you a modem fee. So instead of complaining about not having any choices you do. You just want to poke holes into the options.

Oh come on, even if you move to EL, the modem fee will follow. You been warned.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

"Either you are an employee or blind."

Based on some of his other posts I dont believe he is an employee.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

shawnunder7

reply to bluepoint
I'm just sitting here waiting for Fios to reach Astoria so i can switch. Heck, even RCN would make me happy!

reply to hottboiinnc
this is also happening here where i live (irving, tx)

and i also felt a damn earthquake yesterday!!!

what a crappy weekend

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by anonnammee11 :

this is also happening here where i live (irving, tx)

and i also felt a damn earthquake yesterday!!!

what a crappy weekend

Uh oh. When is Los Angeles/L.A. going to get this leased cable modem fee? I thought old subscribers won't get it.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

1 recommendation

reply to shawnunder7
better this than having caps (speaking for nyc area).

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to MVGeorge
said by MVGeorge :

Looked into purchasing a modem and at the end of the day it would take me 25 months to catch up to the price of the paid modem. By then technology will change so you never win.

Maybe but my current TWC provided modem is a DCM425 which goes for $49.95 new or as low as $8.90 used on Amazon. it's hard to justify paying $4/month for this.

shawnunder7

Yeah, mostly the Docsis 3.0 ones are around $80, but getting one of those would be handy for the future i guess. I have a SA one i bought over the summer for $16, that i am still waiting to be activated

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to JimMcCoy
Vonage does support fax machines. Also that ADT system won't work when you lose power or your local CMTS is down. So no point in having it connected to DP. If you rely on an alarm you should have it at least hooked up to a landline or use a total or cell back up solution.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to bluepoint
Why does everyone on here assume that you work for the company that you comment on? So one would assume you work for Verizon or another company since you hate TWC?

And obver subscribed is how the internet is built and its not outdated networks or equipment. It needs a node split which is easier said than done. Other areas have those problems as well. And if you read what I posted earlier, those problems are localized and not a national problem. You won't have those problems fixed until TWC gets their act together and merges their regions into 1 actual company instead of 10+ companies.

D3 "forced" I dont' see how they were forced to deploy D3 or even show they were going forward. And why should the modems have a limit on when they are paid? They are still supporting and replacing said modems that are out in the field. you want TWC to support those modems and replace them at any time, then the fees should still apply. And who do you think is going to regulate the modems? The gov't? HA! They have enough to worry about and regulate then trying to regulate the internet.

As far as FiOS gaining customers, is not totally true. Those same customers that are moving to FiOS are moving back to the cable companies. FiOS numbers actuallys how that. Why do you think they're not expanding any farther. Their hard numbers show that people are not switching like they would have liked. People hate change and people will just pay the modem fee and move on. Its easier to do it that way than to swith providers, and spend an entire day waiting for your FiOS to be installed. And you'll have that more and more with people still using their ISP email addresses. That is the #2 reason people don't change ISPs after people don't like change.

Be warned about the Elink fee? LOL! Another great laugh! TWC won't charge them a fee to rent the modem. TWC makes more money off them then they do with their own customers. Plus TWC LOVES being able to cash in on them supporting those customers and them not providing anything but the last mile. If most last mile providers were smart, that's what they would do, lease out that last mile and never have to worry about a customer at all. That or kill the last mile and deploy and develop something to replace the last mile hardwire.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to Stacy
The thing is, like I have said, if you do not rent their modem, they are not required to provide you support if they can see you, and they will make damn sure they won't either. The same as they do with your home network. You have a router that is your own, and your Internet doesn't work, don't look for them to provide you with any support unless you disconnect it. The same will be with your modem, you want help, you better have a TWC owned modem to hook up to compare your connection with.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
said by hottboiinnc:

The thing is, like I have said, if you do not rent their modem, they are not required to provide you support if they can see you, and they will make damn sure they won't either. The same as they do with your home network. You have a router that is your own, and your Internet doesn't work, don't look for them to provide you with any support unless you disconnect it. The same will be with your modem, you want help, you better have a TWC owned modem to hook up to compare your connection with.

Support? Like when you wait on the phone for 20 minutes only to be told to unplug the modem and then plug it back in again? Granted, TWC did replace my modem some time back. commenting that the original was really really old, so we can only guess as to the useful life expectancy of these modems.

I came to TWC from a DSL provider who allowed users to do just about anything they pleased and provided genuine one on one support. I already had a wireless network in place when they installed my current connection. No mention of home networks, wireless modems or anything else. In fact, I was given almost no information at all. I had to come to this forum just to find out how to access email and the home page that was supposed to be included. My HDTV was set up for 480 only (via coaxial cable) and I really don't remember what they did with the modem. In the past I've found it much easier to simply swap a box than wait at home for a technician.

Buying your own modem shouldn't let them off the hook for service calls or support but who knows what they'll come up with next.

bluepoint

2 edits
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

Why does everyone on here assume that you work for the company that you comment on? So one would assume you work for Verizon or another company since you hate TWC?

Just wondering why? Nothing wrong with that, so you were just scoring browny points?

And obver subscribed is how the internet is built and its not outdated networks or equipment. It needs a node split which is easier said than done.

You actually confirmed TWC over subscribed their nodes and that's what happens in NYC. And you actually know the solution to NYC's problem but TWC refuse to fix it. Answer: The only competition is DSL.

Other areas have those problems as well. And if you read what I posted earlier, those problems are localized and not a national problem. You won't have those problems fixed until TWC gets their act together and merges their regions into 1 actual company instead of 10+ companies

No, that is not the problem in NYC, they totally neglected NYC. The best solution was FIOS. Since they heard FIOS's footsteps they started upgrading their infrastructures here. They were complacently enjoying DSL's competitions before but not now.

D3 "forced" I dont' see how they were forced to deploy D3 or even show they were going forward. And why should the modems have a limit on when they are paid? They are still supporting and replacing said modems that are out in the field. you want TWC to support those modems and replace them at any time, then the fees should still apply.

They were forced to upgrade to D3 because every cable ISP were already half way done with their upgrades. Besides, FIOS arrived in NYC, they do not want to be run over. If you have not sensed, TWC wants all subscribers to move to D3 ASAP. By applying $3.95/mo by Oct. 15, they are forcing us to either buy our D3 modem or stay and ask them for a D3 modem. I will not be surprise by Oct. 15, if you go to a local TWC office near you and ask to exchange your D2 modem to a D3 one they'll give it to you. If you get my drift they are not interested with the old modem's maintenance, they want to replace them.

As far as FiOS gaining customers, is not totally true. Those same customers that are moving to FiOS are moving back to the cable companies. FiOS numbers actuallys how that. Why do you think they're not expanding any farther. Their hard numbers show that people are not switching like they would have liked. People hate change and people will just pay the modem fee and move on. Its easier to do it that way than to swith providers, and spend an entire day waiting for your FiOS to be installed. And you'll have that more and more with people still using their ISP email addresses. That is the #2 reason people don't change ISPs after people don't like change.

You seems to know very much about FIOS even if there is none in your area.»www.fiosfinder.com/availability/···ohio.php Is it the reason you have a bad taste in your mouth?

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to shawnunder7
No card yet. Bites. Just got a good ARRIS TG852G. It's 3.0 & IPv6 from TWC on Turbo but heading higher so gave me one. Avoid UBee like plague.
As to the Motorola models. Can they be flashed to a higher DOCSIS in time like say 3.1 3.5 4.0? Thanks. Just scouting places now in case,,,, No FIOS but trucks all over midtown NY.
hmm Just saw this dslreports header today. Fed agencies behind on schedule to make sites IPv6.
»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/28···eadline/

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY
reply to shawnunder7
I got the card on saturday, 9/29. Bought a modem immediately off eby for $100 (sbg6580 , one with 4 ports router). I figure two years I'd get my money back. And if I upgrade, I should recoup some of my cost back from TWC. This also reduces wire clutter, instead of two devices (currently cable modem and router), now I have all in one. This is also a bet against if they raise their fee in the future.

For those complaining about phone bill, if you don't need 911, use google voice and Obihai products. OBI202 supports fax. Google voice is free currently. With OBI, you can get VOIP for free. OBI devices range from $40-$80. I would recommend this route if your cell phone has 911 service.

For those complaining about TWC bill, cancel your tv and see if they call and get your phone bill lower. I was paying over $100 for internet and std hi def cable. I asked if they can lower the bill by $10. They refused. I canceled the TV portion. TWC called back, offered a monthly rate of $75 for TV and internet PLUS DVR. Had TWC agree to my original request, they would have gotten $15 more from me. Current economic climate is forcing TWC to act aggressively.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to Stacy
No, I mean as in if they see you, no support. They won't even touch your modem. Also they don't have to issue software updates for it either. It will be the customer's problem to support the modem 100%.

You already agree to the service truck roll. It's in their AUP/TOS on all work orders, printed on the back, and is on the TWC national website. And why should they support your modem? You paid for it, you own it, Just like your TV. If it stops working, don't except them to fix it, just like a wireless/home network.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to bluepoint
I didn't confirm anything. It's knowing how the Internet works and how businesses make money. DSL also is over subscribed at the DSLAM, it's not a dedicated connection like the telcos and ISPs want you to believe. And do you know how long it takes for a node to be split? It's just not over night as you may think.

again, the network was already upgraded. splitting nodes and increasing speeds is not really upgrading. It's simple things that are done.

what another ISP does in their region,ie Comcast, does NOT affect TWC in anyway, they could careless if they offer MetroFiber to their customers, TWC doesn't have to nor cares.

[Actually I don't live in Cleveland. And no it doesn't. I can get FTTH if i want it. The same as anyone else. and if you look. CLE is actually an AT&T area not Frontier. Ohio knew for YEARS GTE/VZ was going to offload them. It was only a matter of time. VZ even had their paper work ready to shut the network down if the Frontier sale did not go through. Which is 100% legal for them to do so.

And you can know a lot about FiOS too if you read their numbers. Also when you have the choice of 3+ cable providers like in Cleveland you will see that nobody really changes. And actually overbuilding costs MORE than what anyone wants to pay. Why do you think RCN isn't expanding. WOW is only expanding in areas where they were already serving a few streets- such as in University Heights where I used to live.

bluepoint

You seems to have an agenda. Why don't you tell us what you got. Who knows, maybe its better than TWC.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
My agenda is currently not open to the public except obtaining data and other information. As you can see that on a number of other boards on DSLR, including in Canada.

bluepoint

You mean to say you were all over the places but you can not reveal what you represent? Well then do not expect us to treat you seriously.
How would we know if you were just pulling our legs?

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
I can tell you that in terms of coverage area the company I represent is the largest. That includes access to TWC, Comcast, Charter, Frontier, Fairpoint, Cox, AT&T/SBC/BellSouth, ABi, CentLink, Covad/MegaPath, Cinci Bell, Bell Canada, and Rogers Communications and several wireless companies for 4G access- both LTE and Wimax, and much more. I also can tell you the company will be launching no frills Internet- no emails, webspace, news groups, etc. Just a simple connection and that is it. The company is based in Ohio and operates on 10 different Tier 1 backbones including AT&T, One Community, Independent Fiber Networks, TWC, Verizon Business, and much more.

Also by March of 2013 the company also will be launching a national IPTV product, service will be available to not only my employer's customers but also to customers of other ISPs. Next week is when customers will be able to be signed up, but I will tell you this, the prices on average maybe more than going direct to the last mile owner (due to wholesaling, etc), but no caps will be imposed, NEVER. The connections will be 100% unlimited and will stay that way (unless on a 4g or connection in Canada).

And if you want more information, as always, you and anyone else is welcome to PM me.

BangBang

join:2000-07-05
Fairview, NJ
reply to shawnunder7
I just got the same card in the mail in NJ. Greedy Bastards!!!

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
And if you read the bottom of the card it comes from Time Warner Cable, Inc. If you don't live in a TWC, Inc area, I wouldn't expect one. Especially in Ohio where TWC is TWC, LLC

bluepoint

reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

And if you want more information, as always, you and anyone else is welcome to PM me.

Okay, this is now marketing. Please start another thread stating who you represent so that you don't hijack this very interesting thread-$3.95 monthly modem rental.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
I am not marketing in this thread. So thus no its not marketing. I'm not selling anything in this thread. I was talking about the modem fee which I should and do have the right to do. You asked what I was doing and I answered the question. YOU are the one that brought that on. and again I will not tell you who I work for.

bluepoint

You bang in yourself to a TWC forum pretending to have an interest in the topic but eventually we find out your motive. Please move on, it stinks. All we want is to discuss TWC's modem rental. If you want to continue your discussion open a new thread, that is if the moderator allows you.