Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

boondockEVDO

join:2012-09-25
USA

Debug Screen Help, Tech Support # and MSL Codes

Hello all,

Does anyone here have any information regarding the debug screen? Any specific information such as what fields are important / what the fields mean? I tried to cross reference with the sprint one but it seems some of the values don't look right despite having similar labels.

Also, does anyone know of a higher level tech support and how to access it? I tried to go through with the main B2G VM support number but they always tell me to do the obvious things like unplugging it or moving locations. Any specific information requests are usually met with long wait times to "verify that information" or I put on hold then hung up on. Tired of wasting my time, hoping an alternative number is available.

Lastly, any idea how to get our MSL codes? I asked tech support and got hung up on once, the second time I was denied because "Customers are not allowed to have that information" -- I don't understand why I am not allowed to look at my DATA screen to get details, is there anything I am missing here?

Is an MSL code just compromised of only numbers?

Does anyone know if the client sends a flag to VM if an invalid MSL number is entered?

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

you will more than likely NEVER get the MSL code to a Virgin Mobile broadband device. the tech will never release it!

If it was a SPRINT branded device, tech support would give it to you instantly (and probably ask WHY you needed it). and there used to be a program that would decipher the MSL code out of a debug screen (you might google or bing it)

And yes, VM is a sub of sprint, but the Phillipine/Mexican tech support will never release it on a VM device.

the MSL code is a 6 digit numerical code.

boondockEVDO

USA

I read that you can get it from sprint easily by asking them to activate the product (they give you the MSL to activate) does VM also give you the MSL at activation? It's been so long since I have activated this one I do not remember.

I'll be googling for the MSL Deciphering tool now, if anyone has any leads let me know -- if I find it I will post it here.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to boondockEVDO

said by boondockEVDO:

Does anyone here have any information regarding the debug screen? Any specific information such as what fields are important / what the fields mean? I tried to cross reference with the sprint one but it seems some of the values don't look right despite having similar labels.

Should be the same as all CDMA providers (sprint, verizon, us cellular, metropcs etc)... CDMA is CDMA.

Also, does anyone know of a higher level tech support and how to access it? I tried to go through with the main B2G VM support number but they always tell me to do the obvious things like unplugging it or moving locations. Any specific information requests are usually met with long wait times to "verify that information" or I put on hold then hung up on. Tired of wasting my time, hoping an alternative number is available.

But they can take a payment with a quickness
I consider Virgin Mobile self serve. The only way to get a sprint problem fixed on virgin mobile that I have found is to have someone with a sprint contract call and complain about the issue. In theory VM should be able to enter trouble reports just like sprint can.. but I have yet to see it happen... but to be fair I quit calling their support years ago.

Lastly, any idea how to get our MSL codes? I asked tech support and got hung up on once, the second time I was denied because "Customers are not allowed to have that information" -- I don't understand why I am not allowed to look at my DATA screen to get details, is there anything I am missing here?

Is an MSL code just compromised of only numbers?

Does anyone know if the client sends a flag to VM if an invalid MSL number is entered?

I have never gotten one from them... the old MSL for the phones ages ago (it was the same MSL for all virgin mobile devices) was VIRGIN (847446). MSL codes are always numbers and are usually 6 digits and are unique to your ESN/MEID. Since Virgin mobile accounts are all programmed over the air these days there is little to gain from the msl code... and if you get in and goof it up... good luck getting them to fix it... just go buy another device

I have never seen a CDMA device report back failed MSL attempts (who knows with iphones and android devices however).

The sprint field service code is usually: 040793

boondockEVDO

USA

Thanks for the information dib22.

I found the program to find my MSL code -- CDMA Tools (was originally going to try brute forcing it but decided to find an easier method)

You say that even if I have my MSL code I wouldn't be able to play around with my HA or anything like that? If so, may as well not even bother :P

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by boondockEVDO:

You say that even if I have my MSL code I wouldn't be able to play around with my HA or anything like that? If so, may as well not even bother :P

You could I think... but VM uses different HA's than sprint... to be honest I've never messed with the HA's on a VM card only on a sprint cards back before the auto AH setup that sprint uses these days.

If you find that the HA isn't set to 255.255.255.255 then jot it down so you can restore it later if something goes wrong

Don't mess with profile 0 that is the one used by sprint/vm to program the device.