Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to Robert

Mod

to Robert

Re: Canadian comes home from Guantanamo

said by Robert:

The evidence is that he agreed to the plea deal and admitted guilt to the murder of the combat medic. He knows he's guilty, and so do all of us. He was smart in taking the plea deal.

You know he's guilty because, what, he agreed to the plea deal? Oh, right, nobody ever does that without having done what they are accused of. If he was so guilty that it's "obvious", it does make me wonder why the US government couldn't get him formally charged with anything in the "kangaroo court" of trial procedure in Gitmo during the first 7 years and 11 months of his detention.

Although this is a completely different case, this article by a retired judge lays out a good picture of plea bargain deals and why they aren't a good indication of guilt or culpability.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
If this family hates the West so much, why did they come to Canada?

That's the sort of thing I never can figure out.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by PX Eliezer704:

Free healthcare, perhaps.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

The evidence is that he agreed to the plea deal and admitted guilt to the murder of the combat medic. He knows he's guilty, and so do all of us. He was smart in taking the plea deal.

And like OJ, I expect that once Khadr is out of jail, he'll find his way either back in jail, or dead. He's a thorn in Canada's side, and the sooner they dump him, the better Canada will be.

He will always be a thorn in our side. However, he's not only a Canadian Citizen but born here so the thorn can never be plucked. For good or bad we are stuck with him. The Americans were just glad to be rid of him. What better place to dump him? We can't refuse. He is a citizen.
His stay in Guantanamo among the hardened Al Quaida "terrorists" probably hardened his ideology and hatred to our way of living. The problem is we don't really know the man. Maybe, as he has stated, he DOES want to live a peaceful life and contribute to society. Maybe we should give him a chance.
He appears to have a lot of supporters in the Liberals, NDP and Greens. I wonder if Bob Rae ever tweets about the homecoming of our Canadian soldiers?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Knowing what we know about the torture he was subjected to and of US 'justice' system as practiced at Guantanamo, I don't believe for an instant that you can categorically state that he "did commit an act that warranted incarceration".

At present, at best, the facts are unclear as to whether he did anything - his "confession" notwithstanding. I am prepared to be convinced otherwise via the production of evidence in a real court of law.

My comment was only in reaction to Wolfie00 See Profile's comment regarding Omar Khadr and Maher Arar, as in Omar was actively involved in a conflict (guilt or innocence notwithstanding) and Maher was imprisoned through no fault of his own.

I'm aware of the complexities surrounding Omar Khadr's case, but any way you look at it, his situation cannot in any way shape or form be compared to Maher Arar's.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

I agree that the two situations are quite different, but it wouldn't surprise me if the compensation angle arises to try to play us for suckers even more than he already has. If I was his lawyer I'd take his repatriation to Canada as prima facie evidence that it should have been done long ago, he should never have been sent to Gitmo, he's entirely innocent, and when are we getting our $10 million?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by PX Eliezer704:

Free healthcare, perhaps.

Trust me, it ain't free.
We pay for it in our taxes, but we pay less than 1/2 what Americans for the same sort of thing.

Guess that must mean our "death panels" can see Russia from their doorsteps too - if you want to take a Teabag view of the world.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Ummm...No. First you said they cannot be charged when they can. Second the Crown makes the decision on whether to proceed based on the prospect of conviction. You often post on justice issues yet your knowledge in this area, and at the most basic level, is inaccurate.

Thank you for your correction. You are a graduate of law school perhaps? A paralegal? Or like most of us, a reasonably informed person? I stand behind what I have said.
DKS

DKS to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

What is the point brave Canadians putting their lives on the line to stop terrorism abroad, if we welcome terrorists in Canada...

Don't know much Canadian history, eh? William Lyon Mackenzie, Joseph Papineau, Louis Riel were all branded terrorists. Home-grown ones, too.
DKS

DKS to Robert

to Robert
said by Robert:

He's a murderer. Believe what you want to believe, but the evidence is there. He's a child soldier who killed a U.S. Army combat medic.

To which he pled guilty and was sentenced to eight years in prison.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to capdjq

Premium Member

to capdjq
said by capdjq:

His stay in Guantanamo among the hardened Al Quaida "terrorists" probably hardened his ideology and hatred to our way of living.

Is there evidence of that at the present time?
Lots of people who are in prison are not there for murder yet they live amongst them and don't lust to murder others as a result.

Q. If he found 'religion' while in prison - and by religion I mean the nice Jewish boy that Christians worship - would people be inclined to cut him more of a break than if he 'found' Islam or Pastafanarianism, for example?

There are plenty of fools of all religious stripes (the extremists), but most people of faith are not that way.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Robert:

He's a murderer. Believe what you want to believe, but the evidence is there. He's a child soldier who killed a U.S. Army combat medic.

Yes, I know. And while I believe that those who serve their time should be given a second chance at life, I don't feel the same for him.

Terrorism is so much more than just murdering people.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Robert:

said by DKS:

said by Robert:

Yes, I know. And while I believe that those who serve their time should be given a second chance at life, I don't feel the same for him.

And as a Canadian, he really isn't your concern, is he?

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by DKS:

He's been my concern for the last 10 years, and unless he has changed his ways, he'll probably be our concern again once he gets out.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think this is the last time Omar will be in U.S. custody.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

said by DKS:

said by Robert:

Exactly.... so were the US's "founding father's" terrorists too?
»www.dailypaul.com/213032 ··· s-report

Just askin'.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

Just askin'.

Depends who you asked. If King George was around today, he'd probably say yes.

Is Omar a terrorist in the eyes of his family? No.

But terrorism today is nothing like it was during the Christian crusade.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

Ummm...No. First you said they cannot be charged when they can. Second the Crown makes the decision on whether to proceed based on the prospect of conviction. You often post on justice issues yet your knowledge in this area, and at the most basic level, is inaccurate.

Thank you for your correction. You are a graduate of law school perhaps? A paralegal? Or like most of us, a reasonably informed person? I stand behind what I have said.

You stand behind posting incorrect information? Good to know when it comes to justice issues. Police Foundations and 2yr college diploma as a paralegal btw.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Good question. Many reasons.

They believe there in No God but ONLY GOD...theirs.

But being lived amongst them know how much they hate US or West or any other religion. When you see 8-10 years kids hating west or any other religion you know this case is beyond repair. It just shows how are they brainwashed since beginning. Then there are people from ME region hating west just for supporting Israel. Or its creation. Some hate west for supporting government they don't like.

why did they come to Canada? Good question.
Which is the best way to fight west? being in the western society is he best one. They are born here and can take advantage of Charter and rub it in our face. We can't do anything about this as they are like us. And then when they are injured can in firefight ask government for health care. again rub it in.
Expand your moderator at work

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Re: Canadian comes home from Guantanamo

said by PX Eliezer704:

Why? Because Canada was long a "soft-touch" for immigration, and safe haven. Get yourself and your kids Canadian citizenship and you can then go live in Peshawar making sure your child grows up to be a proper little Jihadi, with the prospect of free education and health-care should the need arise.

»www.torontosun.com/2012/ ··· n-expert

"Terrorists have spared Canada from a major attack because they see the country as a place to raise money and as a safe haven for their families, says a top Israeli anti-terror cop."

"Lorbert said cell members send their families to live or attend school in Canada and don’t want to cause problems."
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

So what the hell was he doing in Afghanistan, selling comic books?

Brought there by his father when he was younger, doing what his father told him to do - maybe like a battered wife, maybe not.
No bank account, no paper route, no money to buy a ticket back to Canada if he wanted to - if he even knew how to do it (Afghanistan in the early part of the last decade wasn't exactly heavy with free wifi hotspots and iPads). The kid was f!cked over by his father and the rest of his family and given no chance or opportunity to have a life (as we know it).
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Police Foundations ......

So would that include courses such as:
Jackboot 101 - Ribs & Kidneys: So Easily Damaged
Human Rights Violations for Dummies
Sticking Together and Fabricating Evidence
Pepper Spray is for Sissies
How to Keep Your Mouth Shut When Being Investigated by the SIU?

Just askin'
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by peterboro:

Police Foundations ......

So would that include courses such as:
Jackboot 101 - Ribs & Kidneys: So Easily Damaged
Human Rights Violations for Dummies
Sticking Together and Fabricating Evidence
Pepper Spray is for Sissies
How to Keep Your Mouth Shut When Being Investigated by the SIU? Just askin'

Nah, they just have us watch, »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr ··· ning_Day

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

You stand behind posting incorrect information? Good to know when it comes to justice issues. Police Foundations and 2yr college diploma as a paralegal btw.

Thank you. You have some cred. Please correct me when I post incorrect information. I look forward to your positive contributions. Perhaps you can correct what I said as a reasonably informed person.
DKS

DKS to Robert

to Robert
said by Robert:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Just askin'.

Depends who you asked. If King George was around today, he'd probably say yes.

Many of our United Empire Loyalists would stay that your "Founding Fathers" were indeed terrorists of the most vile kind, confiscating property and physically assaulting them. They chose to leave because of that.

Is Omar a terrorist in the eyes of his family? No.

But terrorism today is nothing like it was during the Christian crusade.

Ah. So taking property and engaging in physical threats is something new, then?
DKS

DKS to Ian1

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

"Terrorists have spared Canada from a major attack because they see the country as a place to raise money and as a safe haven for their families, says a top Israeli anti-terror cop."

Right.
DKS

DKS to Robert

to Robert
said by Robert:

said by DKS:

He's been my concern for the last 10 years, and unless he has changed his ways, he'll probably be our concern again once he gets out.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't think this is the last time Omar will be in U.S. custody.

Why would he be your concern? He's a Canadian citizen. Your government sent him back to us under pressure. Apparently you have no confidence in the Canadian judicial and penal systems, for whatever reason.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by DKS:

Apparently you have no confidence in the Canadian judicial and penal systems, for whatever good reason.

FTFY

Just to be clear, this would be a system that makes a convicted murderer and terrorist eligible for parole a couple 'o years into an eight-year sentence.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

2 recommendations

Pentangle

Premium Member

Look on the bright side of it. Now that Little Mosque on the Prairie is done he might be able to star in the new, hilarious CBC production of Welcome Back, Khadr.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
This rock star status that the media and some of you are giving Khadr must be insulting and troubling to the many valiant Canadian lads who fought in Afghanistan...

As far as a child soldier I suspect there were a few of our soldiers who were only a few years older.... Besides a 15 year old with a rifle is just as dangerous as a 41 year old armed with the same weaponry...