uniqs

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Ian1

Anon

to Ian1

Re: Canadian comes home from Guantanamo

said by Ian1:

Well I'm a Canadian citizen too, and I've never plead guilty to "murder in violation of the laws of war, attempted murder in violation of the laws of war, conspiracy, two counts of providing material support for terrorism and spying."

Did he do that?

It's a written fact that he *had* to confess to that to get the plea deal to be sent back home to Canada. It was in all the papers.

Or have we forgotten that?

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

But I thought the argument is he was a child soldier brainwashed by his parents...

Yep, he's innocent because he was forced into becoming a child soldier by his parents. However, they're not guilty of any crime. That's exactly my point I made in pretty much my first post in the thread. Blinders by his supporters.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by A Lurker:

Yep, he's innocent because he was forced into becoming a child soldier by his parents. However, they're not guilty of any crime. That's exactly my point I made in pretty much my first post in the thread. Blinders by his supporters.

Well, if you've avoided the blinders you are accusing others of wearing, please answer this question (she = his mother):
said by NCRGuy:

Please cite the specific offence you believe she committed. Not what you think should be illegal, or what you think she should be charged with -- a specific contravention of Canadian law you believe she committed.

Note the word "specific" please. You never know.....perhaps you'll help others become "blinder free" as well.
Expand your moderator at work

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Bob4

to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Did she send any money overseas? Charge her with financial support of terrorists.

Evidence?
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to A Lurker

to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

said by vue666:

But I thought the argument is he was a child soldier brainwashed by his parents...

I guess organized crime in Canada should hop on this glaring loophole in our legal system and train an army of mercenaries to kill their rivals. Heck train them to kill anyone randomly who doesn't pay up or train them to rob banks. Heck one could train your kid to kill your boss or that brother in law who is a dick.

That's right people of the world if you are a Canadian citizen you are free to spew your hate, commit treason and train your kids to kill with impunity.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Ian1

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by DKS:

A Canadian citizen, just like you, with the same rights and priviliges.

Well I'm a Canadian citizen too, and I've never plead guilty to "murder in violation of the laws of war, attempted murder in violation of the laws of war, conspiracy, two counts of providing material support for terrorism and spying."

If I had, I think I might assume that my "rights and privileges" would be curtailed somewhat compared to the average citizen.

He's eligible for parole next summer. That's by no means a guarantee that he'll receive it. And if he does, there will likely be conditions interfering with his "rights and privileges" as parole conditions.

Why would your rights and priviluiges as a citizen be any different from his? If you believe that, you just tossed the Charter into the dumpster.
DKS

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

That's right people of the world if you are a Canadian citizen you are free to spew your hate, commit treason and train your kids to kill with impunity.

Father is dead. Mother is isolated. Your point?

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

He didn't accept that plea bargain until he'd been in detention in either Bagram or Guantanamo bay for almost a third of his life. No matter how screwed up his 10-15 year span was, I shudder to think what he endured during the time in detainment would do to anyone regardless of their state when they went in.

OK. Want to claim his guilty plea, conviction and sentence was unfair? Go ahead and do so. My point was that there are numerous things about Omar Khadr that make him quite unlike the "average" Canadian citizen. As such, there will indeed be conditions placed on him upon his release. Which I hope is much later rather than sooner.

I have sympathy for Khadr, but a tempered amount. I knew right from wrong at 15. Was that because I didn't grow up in a brain-washed environment? Maybe. I don't know. Could make a genetic argument as well. Quite likely that evil, terrorist parents beget evil, terrorist kids through numerous mechanisms.... The problem is that the guy is messed up and possibly still dangerous, for whatever reasons.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Ian1:

said by DKS:

A Canadian citizen, just like you, with the same rights and priviliges.

If I had, I think I might assume that my "rights and privileges" would be curtailed somewhat compared to the average citizen.

He's eligible for parole next summer. That's by no means a guarantee that he'll receive it. And if he does, there will likely be conditions interfering with his "rights and privileges" as parole conditions.

Why would your rights and priviluiges as a citizen be any different from his? If you believe that, you just tossed the Charter into the dumpster.

Maybe because Ian is not offensive to section one for example.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

1 edit

Ian1 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

My point is that it wouldn't be any different. My rights as a citizen, convicted of murder and terrorism, and on parole would BE different than the rights I enjoy now.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Bob4:

Did she send any money overseas? Charge her with financial support of terrorists.

Evidence?

I'm not the prosecutor. Not my job to collect evidence. But I bet dollars to donuts they sent money to terrorists.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

Fathers now excused. Mother's isolation is relevant how?

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro

said by peterboro:

Fathers now excused. Mother's isolation is relevant how?

We're supposed to feel sorry for her. Too bad she felt that she couldn't get decent medical treatment and social assistance for her injured son, except in Canada. She's stated publically more than once that she would be happy if they all died martyrs. We should pity her, sending her 10 year old son off to be a child soldier. God forbid we hold her responsible. /sarcasm off
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Anyway, I apologize for putting this in CanChat rather than CanPol.

Looks to me like the experiment failed. Sorry, folks.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

Then who is responsible for him becoming a "child soldier"???
vue666

1 edit

vue666 (banned)

said by DKS:
Upon his release I would assume he will have to meet regularly with a parole officer of some sort, be denied complete freedom of travel, probably barred from entering the USA and a other countries, because of his criminal record he may not be allowed to hold certain public positions, be under some sort of surveillance, etc ... In other words he will not have the same rights and priviliges as most law abiding Canadians...
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

said by DKS:

said by peterboro:

Then who is responsible for him becoming a "child soldier"???

Still waiting for you to answer my question.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Looks to me like the experiment failed. Sorry, folks.

Not really. Controversy politics. I don't think anyone is taking issue with any particular governing party's actions on this. My own concern is whether our system of justice is adequate for dealing with domestic or repatriated terrorists. That question reflects a new global reality and is independent of Khadr's alleged innocence or his potential to be a continuing danger.

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug to vue666

Anon

to vue666
said by vue666:

said by DKS:
Upon his release I would assume he will have to meet regularly with a parole officer of some sort, be denied complete freedom of travel, probably barred from entering the USA and a other countries, because of his criminal record he may not be allowed to hold certain public positions, etc ... In other words he will not have the same rights and privilidges as most law abiding Canadians...

For all you know he could become the next prime minister, or human rights laywer and make more of his life than you have.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by vue666:

Just another Canadian citizen?

A Canadian citizen, just like you, with the same rights and privileges.

Except he might have more privileges if the gets his $10 million smackers from you and I.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
why terrorism thrives in Canada? Toronto Star?

Omar Khadr deserves parole, now that he’s home

»www.thestar.com/opinion/ ··· e-s-home

By now Khadr has spent 10 years behind bars for his wrongdoing. That’s years longer than he would have spent in prison here, had he been convicted in a credible Canadian court of first-degree murder as a young offender. Now that he is finally back on Canadian soil, the corrections service and parole board should work toward freeing him at the earliest safe opportunity, subject to a rehabilitation program that includes psychiatric care, monitoring and schooling. He has already done excessive time for his misdeeds.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug to J E F F4

Anon

to J E F F4
After half a life of torture by the US, and denied his rights as a Canadian, why not?

Got a problem with that? Need a dozen years of torture in your life? Bet you wouldn't last a week.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

quote:
On October 25, 2010, Khadr pleaded guilty to murder in violation of the laws of war, attempted murder in violation of the laws of war, conspiracy, two counts of providing material support for terrorism and spying.

Sounds like nice boy who just needs a little love.

Never let facts get in your way.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Ian1

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by DKS:

My point is that it wouldn't be any different. My rights as a citizen, convicted of murder and terrorism, and on parole would BE different than the rights I enjoy now.

Not after you have served your sentence, including any parole (should you obtain it).
DKS

DKS to A Lurker

to A Lurker
said by A Lurker:

God forbid we hold her responsible. /sarcasm off

And how would you propose we do that? She has broken no law.
DKS

DKS to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

said by DKS:
Upon his release I would assume he will have to meet regularly with a parole officer of some sort, be denied complete freedom of travel, probably barred from entering the USA and a other countries, because of his criminal record he may not be allowed to hold certain public positions, be under some sort of surveillance, etc ... In other words he will not have the same rights and priviliges as most law abiding Canadians...

Only when on parole. After that, just the same as you.
DKS

DKS to Wolfie00

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

quote:
On October 25, 2010, Khadr pleaded guilty to murder in violation of the laws of war, attempted murder in violation of the laws of war, conspiracy, two counts of providing material support for terrorism and spying.

Sounds like nice boy who just needs a little love.

Never let facts get in your way.

What facts? He is serving eight years in prison. The question of his parole is entirely in the hands of the parole board, no matter what politicians, the media and those who think otherwise say. Those are the facts.