Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC
reply to Straphanger

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

It depends on the internet you are trying to use.

For Turbo and below, you can use the SB6121; however for Extreme and above you must use the SBG6580 (if you are using Motorola products).

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2

That or the SB6141. It's kinda weird how the TWC site recommends a DOCIS 3.0 modem for the Turbo tier but that's probably in the event they boost speeds in the future.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

funehi

@rr.com

This is my question too. When I was looking at the approved devices list at the indicated website, I was asked if I wanted to chat with a csr. The online rep I talked to stated that her information is that Turbo should work with Docsis 2 modems (which I am assuming is true since no one has offfered me a docsis 3 modem and I have been using turbo for years now). So why do I need a docsis 3 modem? I am really considering RCN now as I am already paying $62/month just for 20/2 internet service. RCN is advertising 50/6 for $50 this year, 60 next and 70 in year 3. The only problem is getting my wife switched out from the TWC email system. I live in Astoria and fios isn't here and probably won't be here to the very last date required by their contract (if they ever do get here).

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

" So why do I need a docsis 3 modem? "

My belief this would be to cover any future upgrade. If TWC upped the speed of Turbo to something that required a D3 modem we would see complaints in here from someone who just bought a D2 modem and now its been superseded by D3.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ex15

join:2000-11-30
Santa Clarita, CA
reply to JimMcCoy

I have the 50/5 and uses the SB6121, found for $59.00 dollars on amazon, the main difference between the SB6141 is 8 bounded channels verse the 4 bonded. TW only uses 4 bonded channels.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

the 6121 was not on the approved list here in nyc which is why many were stuck getting the more expensive one. it's likely the number of channels varies by regional system, and is not a nationwide limit on twc which has to compete with Verizon FiOS here in the northeast.

ex15

join:2000-11-30
Santa Clarita, CA

Same here on the west cost the SB6162 is not on the approved list but TW still will activate it and support it, I just called and gave them my new MAC address and it was activated with in 5 mins. Thought this might help

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

yes, we've heard several anecdotes of not listed modems getting activated anyway - kinda sucks that TWCable doesn't just publish the whole list, but my cynical guess is Motorola paid them not to so they could move the most profitable and most channel stocked inventory.