MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

jaykaykay

MVM

Yea or nay on IE 8?

I've looked for anything I can find on IE 8 but cannot find anything specific to whether I should update to IE 8 on my system? No. I don't need any lecture on using a different browser...just if updating to this specific one is wise. Is it secure, or at least as much as any MS browser can be on an updated XP and secured as much as possible, system? Any advice on this one will be appreciated. This is one of those times that I am very hesitant on fixing something that "ain't broke".

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Re: Yea or nay on IR 8?

Wow, long time no see!

What are you planning to use IE for? I have IE8 on my XP SP3 box but only use it for Windows Updates.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

On the system that I am asking about, and it runs on the same one you have, it is the major browser. Btw., yes, this is the first time back after being on vacation.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by jaykaykay:

...it is the major browser.

Well since you were away for so long you might try reading these threads.

»Google Apps dropping support for IE8

»IE Zero Day is "For Real"
»Microsoft out-of-band security bulletin September 21, 2012
StuartMW

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

BTW here's some other threads you might want to read.

»Adobe's code signing certificate has been stolen

» Java flaw allows complete bypass of security sandbox

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

2 recommendations

GadgetsRme to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Be aware that, depending on whether or not you're on XP SP3, once you install IE8 you can not roll back to 7 if you have problems. I just got done helping a friend whose IE8 quit working. She has XP SP3. It couldn't be rolled back and was a real pain.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

Thank you. I shall have to read them all. I didn't find anything particularly of help in my search. Must have been the wording I used.
The Snowman
Premium Member
join:2007-05-20

1 edit

1 recommendation

The Snowman to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
JJK said:

" No. I don't need any lecture on using a different browser..."

LoL.....good luck with that JayK......an see how long before the " puter experts " begin posting the Whats and What for's'.....notice thats " Puter Experts " .
As to your question.....JJK its like ever thing else regarding computer programs.....the answer is how much know you personally have regarding that specify program.
Rarely do I meet a person that even slightly knows how to properly configure internet explorer......ever notice how the same people that bitch about Internet Explore eventually bitch about Firefox.....an then move on to another browser......an bitch about that one.
Jay K do how ever you feel comfortable doing.......apply the required patchs an hope for the best.....because on todays internet thats all anyone can really do....no matter what the browsers name.
CAUTION:.......if possible "make an image of your System" before moving to IE 8...........THEN YOU CAN GO BACK if you have the need............

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

1 recommendation

GadgetsRme to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
From Microsoft:
Steps for Windows XP and for Windows Server 2003

Important You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 8 if it is set to be non-removable. This occurs if you install Internet Explorer 8 before you install Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP. If this scenario applies to you, then you must uninstall SP3 before you can uninstall Internet Explorer 8. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 950719 You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1. Exit all programs. 2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. 3. Click Add or Remove Programs. 4. In the list of currently installed programs, click Windows Internet Explorer 8, and then click Remove.

Note If Windows Internet Explorer 8 is not included in the list of installed updates, you can try the alternative steps for Windows XP and for Windows Server 2003 . 5. Follow the instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

Re: Yea or nay on IE 8?

Too late. The deed got done without my input. Thanks for your responses though. I will send them on in case they are of any help now.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

1 recommendation

hayc59 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Why use IE when you have firefox?!

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
I would change from IE7 to IE8 if those were the options being considered...

Internet Explorer 8 was released on 19 March 2009. It had been in development since August 2007 at the latest.[35] On 5 March 2008, the first public beta (Beta 1) was released to the general public.[36] On 27 August 2008, the second public beta (Beta 2) was released.[37] It is supported in Windows XP SP2 and SP3, Windows Server 2003 SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 on both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.[38] Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) RC1 was released on 26 January 2009. Internet Explorer 8 "Final" was released on March 19, 2009. Security, ease of use, and improvements in RSS, CSS, and Ajax support are Microsoft's priorities for IE8.[39][40] It includes much stricter compliance with web standards, including a planned full Cascading Style Sheets 2.1 compliance for the release version.[41] All of these changes allowed Internet Explorer 8 to pass the Acid2 test.[42] However, to prevent compatibility issues, IE8 also includes the IE7 rendering behaviour. Sites that expect IE7 quirks can disable IE8's breaking changes by including a meta element in the HEAD section of the HTML document. IE8 also includes numerous improvements to JavaScript support as well as performance improvements,[41] although it still does not pass the Acid3 test, with version 8.0 scoring 20/100.[43] It includes support for accelerators, which allow supported web applications to be invoked without explicitly navigating to them; and WebSlices, which allows portions of a page to be subscribed to and monitored from a redesigned Favourites Bar.[41] Other features include InPrivate privacy features and a SmartScreen phishing filter.[44]

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In ··· plorer_8

Internet Explorer - 1st time
Microsoft said that Acid3 did not agree with the goal of Internet Explorer 8 and that IE8 would improve only some of the standards being tested by Acid3.[34] IE8 scored 20/100, which is much worse than all relevant competitors at the time of Acid3's release, and had some problems with rendering the Acid3 test page. On 18 November 2009, the Internet Explorer team posted a blog entry about the early development of Internet Explorer 9 from the PDC presentation, showing that an internal build of the browser could score 32/100.[35]

»acid3.acidtests.org/

But as you know there are other alternatives out there besides IE.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Yea on IE8 jaykaykay See Profile

Assuming your machine is stable, you should have nothing to worry about.
As soon as IE8 become available when I was running XP, I went for it.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to The Snowman

Premium Member

to The Snowman

Re: Yea or nay on IR 8?

said by The Snowman:

LoL.....good luck with that JayK......an see how long before the " puter experts " begin posting the Whats and What for's'.....

Not very long evidently...

And I agree--pick a browser you like, keep it up-to-date, and monitor this forum and others for issues.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59

Re: Yea or nay on IE 8?

said by hayc59:

Since the deed was done....

Chrome is now taking market share from Firefox not IE

»gs.statcounter.com/#brow ··· 7-201209

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
said by hayc59:

Because all Mozilla software has become crap. There was a time when it was fine, but now it's (unsupported) shit.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

The season is now open! Fire at will

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Because all Mozilla software has become crap. There was a time when it was fine, but now it's (unsupported) shit.

Don't hold back. Tell us how you REALLY feel!

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Hang on y'all. Let me get behind the firing line!

*ducks and runs*

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I like living with "O"pera.
»/r0/do ··· 3_md.jpg.....
...but hooking with »/r0/do ··· 9/ie.gif on the side to be a sinful pleasure.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Dustyn:

Doesn't she have her own TV network now?

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

said by hayc59:

Don't put it on that new dell laptop..or a PC.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
. o O (Might as well join in ...)

What'ya mean Windows 3.1 is obsolete???

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

1 recommendation

DownTheShore to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Me too, me too!

NightMayor
join:2010-04-28
York, ON

1 recommendation

NightMayor to Dustyn

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

»/r0/do ··· 3_md.jpg.....
...but hooking with »/r0/do ··· 9/ie.gif on the side to be a sinful pleasure.

How much is rent?!?!?!?!

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
Are you running that on Win7? I was going to try it out back in 2010 on a laptop..but it had an amd processor that was not compatible at that time. Thanks.

»blogs.cio.com/browsers/1 ··· er-heard

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
I still have IE7 in my old Windows XP Pro. SP3. I had IE6 like until last year. I rarely use IE except for problematic web sites and MS Updates. I will go to IE8 when IE7 is not usable with web sites and/or break.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to NightMayor

Premium Member

to NightMayor
I'd say too expensive if it were real, but... who wouldn't want to live in the BIG "O"!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Name Game:

The season is now open! Fire at will ...

Yeah... but it'll sure suck to be Will...

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

said by StuartMW:

said by Name Game:

The season is now open! Fire at will ...

Yeah... but it'll sure suck to be Will...

"Fire at Wil, #1." :P