Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to jester121

Re: How do safe deposit boxes work?

said by jester121:

said by Doctor Olds:

quote:
So what should you keep in a safe-deposit box?

That's easy. Gun, ammo, 6

You quoted the article I posted, not what I typed.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
reply to bigred44
Another good thing to keep in there besides the stuff already mentioned is an encrypted image copy of your hard drives along with a CD-R to restore them in case of disaster. If you have anything you'd be damaged by losing on your hard drive, you should have at least one copy of it off-site from your primary location, be that home or office. I work out of the home, so I back up the main home computer to a hard drive in the computer every 20 minutes, another hidden in the house that's no more than one month old, and another in the safe deposit box that's no more than four months old. Protects photo, audio and video files, financial records, and such.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to signmeuptoo
One of the most important items in our safe box is a print out of login/passwords for all the important stuff online. Mortage, bank accounts, retirement accounts, insurance, credit cards, utilities, etc. Another important item is a re-writable DVD master copy of all our digital pictures. If the house burns down or something we can replace the pictures this way. We keep the 'typical' stuff in the box as well like car titles, mortgage paperwork, insurance paperwork, birth certificates, jewelry, marriage/divorce certificate, copy of passports, copy of college degrees, copy of Social Security card, copy of professional certificates, copy of medical/health records for all family members, living trust, etc. I even keep a backup credit card, checkbook, and a few saving bonds just in case something happens to the house we can access money right away. This is just to list a few common items people have in them.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
You must have a BIG expensive box to be able to keep all that stuff in it. Mine is not wide enough for a DVD. it is long and narrow and is not the smallest sized box. If I could afford a gigantic box like you have, I'd probably be on a 10 year waiting list as there are VERY FEW of those at my bank. My bank just replaced all the boxes. They were forced to do so and when they did, they didn't add more huge boxes. (They moved mine from where I could easily reach it to the very top level where a ladder is required). UGH.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
said by Mele20:

They moved mine from where I could easily reach it to the very top level where a ladder is required

So what. That's the bank's problem, as their staff members remove and replace the boxes.

Just get a flash drive to hold files and store that in the box. No need for a CD or DVD.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
No, the bank's staff members do NOT remove and replace the boxes. I do that..or did always all the years I had one at this bank and before this bank at another bank in this town. All the safe deposit box employee does is insert her key after I insert mine and then we turn them together. But now that my box is up so high only one person can climb the ladder and it can't be me because the bank's key can't leave the employee's hand but mine can be given to the employee. I preferred it when I had more control as I think most folks would.

I don't understand why they didn't just give me the same box back after they replaced that wall of boxes and just give me a temporary box in a different area but they made the temporary, up too high box, permanent. At least I got a bigger than usual discount for the year because of all the inconvenience. I had a terrible time finding the second key to return to them. (I don't know why the needed it since those boxes were being replaced because they could no longer get keys for the boxes as they were so old). I had hidden the second key so well that I hid it from myself! I finally found it after days of searching. I couldn't believe, with the new keys to the new box, that the bank employee sat on the floor in the vault, with me standing near her, and proceeded to literally pound out the key number onto the new set of keys. Very old fashioned way of doing it!
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
said by Mele20:

No, the bank's staff members do NOT remove and replace the boxes.

Then your bank sucks.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Why? I don't think that at all. They are simply showing Aloha spirit. I suppose if I was a standoffish bitch/bastard and screamed at them that they are my "servants" and have to do all the work while I stand royally by to criticize them if they are not perfect then they would do it all themselves. But we don't function that way in Hawaii.

This bank happens to be one of the two major banks in Hawaii. It certainly doesn't "suck" although I don't love everything about it...it is a bank. Hmm....maybe it is because it is owned by BNP Paribas which is the largest bank and largest company in the world that it behaves in this manner.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
If you think you should have to climb a ladder to get to your box... All I can say is the bank better have their accident insurance paid-up to pay the multi-million dollar settlement after someone falls and breaks their hip.

At every bank I've ever been in, the customers don't touch the boxes on the wall at any time or the drawers until they've been removed.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I never said I should climb a ladder! What I said was that my bank should have given me my old box back once that wall of boxes was replaced. My old box was low enough that the safe deposit box employee and myself could do it properly by activating our keys at the same time together. Now, I have to let them do it for the reason you mentioned. A taller person could reach the box without a ladder but in Hawaii average height of all people (men and women) is 5'3" so neither the employee or I (both of us with about 2-3" heels on) could reach it ...but anyone over about 5'5" about could reach it without a ladder. Why not give the high boxes to taller folks?

At this bank, the employee (assuming the box is low enough to be reached without a ladder by the box renter) expects the box renter to insert their key and steps back from the boxes so the renter can do so and then steps forward and inserts the bank's key and both turn the keys together. They were apologetic to me about it but wouldn't give me my old box back.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
This whole conversation is just dumb. Let them insert your key and remove the box (like they do at every bank I've ever been to). Problem solved. Sheesh.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I fully agree this whole conversation is dumb. But why do you care so much that my bank does it differently? Let it go! Your bank can do it the way you are used to and mine can do it differently. OK?

We both have better things to do then go on and on about this.

Plus, neither of us wants to get the thread locked, or all our posts in it deleted, and that could happen if we keep at this so I am pau (finished in Hawaiian) with replying to you in this thread.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
I'm amazed that you think your bank should give you the specific box you want.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to signmeuptoo
Every bank I've had a box at removes the box for me. All I do is go into a room and they bring me the box. When I'm done they take the box back.

Safety box prices are dirt cheap. $50-100 a year is nothing compared to what it provides. If you have something happen once in your life it pays for itself 10 fold. If not it's just like all the other insurance you have in life.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 edit
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Just get a flash drive to hold files and store that in the box. No need for a CD or DVD.

Flash drives are able to be damaged by strong magnetic fields (a bulk eraser or sub-woofer magnet are two examples). A DVD or CD is a much better archival choice when you want to read the data later.

Bad info stricken...
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
said by Doctor Olds:

Flash drives are able to be damaged by strong magnetic fields (a bulk eraser or sub-woofer magnet are two examples).

Huh?
said by Wikipedia :
Data stored on flash drives is impervious to mechanical shock, magnetic fields, scratches and dust.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US ··· sh_drive

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Doctor Olds
Actually, recordable optical disks are NOT such a good storage medium. With the thumb drive, as cat says, magnetism isn't an issue, so I am with Nyan on this. With recordable optical disks, they decay over time, AKA bit rot. I had some important data on CDs years ago that was lost forever. I saved it twice on CDs and those CDs would no longer read after 5 years. Heat, moisture, sun, cold, can all play a part in this. So I think, no offense, but you are wrong. Fact is, I don't know of a storage medium that is good. I predict vinyl records will outlast CDs and DVDs and far in the future, our generation's information will be lost forever.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to signmeuptoo
It makes no difference what medium you use. CD, DVD, BlueRay, Tape, EEPROM, NOR/NAND, etc. all accomplish the same task when sitting in a climate controlled safety box in a bank. All mediums should be removed and tested from time to time to be safe.

For me I have an original 2x re-writable CD from over a decade ago that works just fine still. I've also got a 128 MB flash drive from around the same period that still works as does an Iomega 2GB Jaz backup tape.
--

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by Doctor Olds:

Flash drives are able to be damaged by strong magnetic fields (a bulk eraser or sub-woofer magnet are two examples).

Huh?
said by Wikipedia :
Data stored on flash drives is impervious to mechanical shock, magnetic fields, scratches and dust.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US ··· sh_drive

You are correct.. I was going on bad info.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Draiman
Safe deposit boxes are not fireproof, nor waterproof, nor immune from theft. However, they're a good off-site backup.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
said by Bob4:

Safe deposit boxes are not fireproof, nor waterproof, nor immune from theft. However, they're a good off-site backup.

Nope they aren't Fort Knox but the closest thing a normal person can get to it.
--

DRNewcomb

join:2012-07-25
Long Beach, MS
reply to signmeuptoo
I have a small safety deposit box and it costs $25/year. I have one key, the bank has the other. I go to the bank, ask to access my box, give them my key, they return with the box. I can go to a private booth to open my box or just do it in the lobby. I give them back the box. They return it to the slot in the vault and give me back my key.