Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora

Re: Anyone ever take on a massive re-wire of a home?

said by pandora:

said by Edrick:

You can always run Cat6 to the cameras and use a cheap video baluns to change it to a BNC connection. The problem you're going to run into is in 5-10 years time the IP cameras will be the cheap ones and it's going to be hard to find replacements that are still analog as time goes on.

This seems like a very good idea. I'd be able to run ethernet, but use it as coax until a later upgrade without needing to re-run anything.

Is this the type of device you are writing about? - »www.amazon.com/VideoSecu ··· s=baluns or is this the type of device - »www.amazon.com/LTS-LTA10 ··· s=baluns

Until your post, I had no idea a device like this existed. It will solve allow future proofing my home, while at the same time permit use of existing low cost surveillance equipment.

Looks to me either of those will work, as you're using them for your home I wouldn't worry too much about voltage drop since the distance shouldn't be anything extraneous.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by Edrick:

Looks to me either of those will work, as you're using them for your home I wouldn't worry too much about voltage drop since the distance shouldn't be anything extraneous.

The distance could be up to 125'. My home is 95' long, the distance to the outside of my driveway is about 125' from the location of likely location of the DVR.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to pandora

to pandora
Running two breakers to each room? Outlets @ 20A, lights @15A? You must plan on a massive breaker box!? That is going to be some significant wiring. Not that I wouldn't like to have that. I can't run my steamer and my Steam Press at the same time without tripping the breaker

Might think about using AFCIs on the outlets as well. I put those in the kids rooms.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by dnoyeB:

Running two breakers to each room? Outlets @ 20A, lights @15A? You must plan on a massive breaker box!? That is going to be some significant wiring. Not that I wouldn't like to have that. I can't run my steamer and my Steam Press at the same time without tripping the breaker

Might think about using AFCIs on the outlets as well. I put those in the kids rooms.

I think AFCI is code now. The initial power wire order follows:

8- 12-2 romex
4- 12-3 romex
6- 14-2 romex
4- 14-3 romex

Came to $1,688 at Lowes before my 10% discount and sales tax.

2 200 amp 40 slot panels are being installed. Legacy panels will be removed.

Low voltage will be run to a wall mount 12U 19" rack.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Tripp Lite has some nice wall boxes for the network. I have my server and router and switch, etc. in one. Very happy.

Also, I have been buying my network cabling from cat5ecableguy.com since he was cat5cableguy...
Expand your moderator at work