vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

[Rant] Mozilla software has become CRAP

Thunderbird 14 - after deleting 3 messages a box pops up telling me to compact folders. Empty trash folder, compact, restart Thunderbird, delete 3 messages, told to compact. Go to Thunderbird website, post my problem. A couple days later is a response telling me I've got too many messages (about 100) in my inbox and I shouldn't keep messages there. Told to move new incoming messages to folders, don't leave in the inbox.
Upgrade to Thunderbird 15. The compact problem disappears. Now when I try to delete multiple messages, I get a script error. My request for help at the Thunderbird forums has sat unanswered for weeks.

I just got a new computer. Did a clean install of the latest version of Firefox, 15.0.1. Installed a handful of extensions. When I went to remove one there was nothing in the extension list. But the extensions I installed were there. Colorful Tabs and ForecastFox were visible even though the list was empty. Started Firefox in safe mode and the list was empty. Reinstalled Firefox and start customization from scratch restarting after each and every change to make sure it was saved.

There ain't no way I'll install Thunderbird on the new computer. I'm afraid to install Filezilla on it.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

Sounds frustrating... I have kept firefox 11.0 simply because I don't like what I read of the newer firefox. Possibly you can get help though in the mozilla forum? If wish to move this thread.. just ask the mod.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to vaxvms

MVM

to vaxvms
I've had more issues with Firefox than Thunderbird with "Add-ons" not working after updates, but after one of my favorite add-ons in Thunderbird started throwing an error on startup after an update, I had enough and uninstalled it. I have my own web based email and simply forwarded all email from my ISP to my webmail instead of downloading to Thunderbird. Eventually everything needed will be changed to my web mail. Problem solved.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

My Firefox just stopped running recently. I have no idea why, but it would load half of a web page then just stop responding. Even Ctrl-Alt-Delete wouldn't always work. I started using Chrome and haven't had any issues.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to vaxvms

to vaxvms
I don't usually suggest Microsoft products, but I've been using Outlook 2003-2007-2010 at work without any problems.

(I still prefer Gmail... but Outlook gets the job done)

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
MS Office is great - I went out and purchase it for personal use. Outlook may be over kill for personal use but I like the calendar and contact management. My main reason for purchase was Word and Excel however.
Gremeaunk49
join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON

Gremeaunk49 to vaxvms

to vaxvms
Yeah agree.. Now i begin to hate browsing in Firefox. Google chrome is serving much better and more speedy than Firefox.
jack322
join:2012-09-19

jack322 to vaxvms

to vaxvms
The reason I use firefox is because of the firebug add-on. For browsing I use chrome.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
I to have to agree. Firefox is slowly turning to crap.

I don't know where to go now. I have started using IE with no flaws at all. In fact I can upload videos to YouTube faster on IE than FF.
Firefox is getting slower and for me has issues with Flash whereas IE has been flawless. (probably a Flash issue, but non the less only happens in FF)
I had Chrome for a very short time, and don't care for it at all.

Hope Mozilla gets their stuff together, and improves this once decent browser.

(just my two cents)

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
I've been using 3.6.25 (FF) for the longest. When 4 came out, I tried it. I didn't like the UI (becoming more like IE), so I uninstalled and went back to 3.6. I've been with it and haven't had any issues except for their usual memory leak especially when having too many tabs open.
Gremeaunk49
Toronto, ON

Gremeaunk49 to vaxvms

to vaxvms
After updating Firefox, 15.0.1 whenever i am trying trying to open this browser its just begin with checking the compatible addons but doesn't opening the browser. It's taking time so long that every time i have to shut down my PC as it also cannot be cancelled. It's really annoying. What to do?

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
I am amazed at what I read here. Granted, I am a newcomer to Firefox since I gave up on SeaMonkey only in May of last year but I have had no problems with it and I am using 15.0.01.

Now Thunderbird is a different thing because I cannot use it. I went to Postbox as a replacement.
RoseWater
Joplin, MO

RoseWater to vaxvms

to vaxvms
I have also kept the older version of Mozilla as well. Simply because I have not had time to update it. I am having major issues with my IE right now, so I have been using Mozilla much more lately and not having issues with the version I am using.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

1 recommendation

KodiacZiller to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Firefox has gotten better, not worse. Older versions (say version 4 before they started their crazy release schedule) used to be a memory hog and slow. With the newer FF, the memory usage is on par with Chrome and the speed at rendering web pages feels about the same. I've never had any crashes or any issues with any extension. Then again I don't use Windows, which might explain it.

I agree that Chrome is still superior and I would use it 100% of the time except it's still missing a few add-ons (which, according to the devs, will never get ported over).
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to vaxvms

to vaxvms

quote:
Firefox has gotten better, not worse. Older versions (say version 4 before they started their crazy release schedule) used to be a memory hog and slow.
My favourite FF version is 1.5.0.5 and that IS NOT a memory hog,ITS AN EXCELLENT VERSION!! (Beautiful UI,Opens fast,etc)
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

I would sure hope not, because a memory hog on a system with 64MB of RAM would be catastrophic.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms

Re: [Rant] Mozilla software has become CRAP

It was always crap. IE has been the most secure dependable browser for a lot longer than its reputation has been the opposite.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Yes well people let Mainstream Garbage form thier opinions about ANYTHING which is sad.. Your right,IE IS AN EXCELLENT BROWSER.... Its a shame so many ppl listen to the mainstream crap about it instead of using that god given mind and forming thier own opinions!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to PatPatate

Premium Member

to PatPatate

said by PatPatate:

I don't usually suggest Microsoft products, but I've been using Outlook 2003-2007-2010 at work without any problems.

(I still prefer Gmail... but Outlook gets the job done)

I gotta say, we just updated and OWA is vastly improved.

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate

said by AVD:

I gotta say, we just updated and OWA is vastly improved.

They updated not too long ago here too, and yes, it's quite good actually.

For the browsers, I still prefer Firefox or Chrome... actually, I use Chrome at home and as a personnal browser on my work computer with all my settings synchronized, and Firefox for work stuff.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

What are you smoking? Can I have some of that? But seriously well IE has made some great strides, Microsoft has seemed to sponsor many of the studies that over inflate that, by measuring what sites it refuses to load and ignoring things like sandboxing and script protection, especially of things like for the Flash plugin. What you say is it was secure well before it got that reputation. It got that reputation well before internet explorer 6. Back then that reputation was well deserved. Now internet explorer is actually comparable with the average browser. I am no Mozilla fan. Their browser has more security holes than internet explorer. It didn't use to be that way mainly because of unprotected Microsoft junk like ActiveX. That being said, people can be safe with either browser with a proper security configuration and a little common sense. These days no matter what browser you use the only safe browser is a sandboxed browser, preferably running as a very limited privilege user to boot.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms

quote:
Mozilla software has become CRAP
Like any other software company, it was only a matter of time.

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain to vaxvms

to vaxvms
I'm kind of pissed that I'm liking bing and IE9 more than google and Chrome

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by mettachain:

here is medication that can help.

PatPatate
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to mettachain

to mettachain
said by mettachain:

IE9, maybe.

Bing? Never. That search engine is pure crap. I didn't use it often (most of the time it's default search engine on a computer that is not mine) but it can't find what I'm looking for. I can't give you an exemple right now, but I searched something simple, the result I wanted was near the end of the page. Using Google, searching the exact same thing, the result I'm looking for is the first one.

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

i did that bing and google blind side by side search test MS is promoting...twice.

bing surprisingly won me over 9 out of 10 total searches.

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
·AT&T FTTP

fatmanskinny to Gremeaunk49

Premium Member

to Gremeaunk49
said by Gremeaunk49:

Yeah agree.. Now i begin to hate browsing in Firefox. Google chrome is serving much better and more speedy than Firefox.

Ditto. I primarily use Google Chrome but keep Firefox on standby just in case. It is no longer the preferred browser. Chrome is way better IMHO.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Using FF 16.0.2 with zero issues. Still the great browser it has always been for me.