whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to TheMG

Re: Best way to add outlets

said by TheMG:

It's not just a question of whether or not it physically fits. The breaker has to be approved for use with the type of panel you have.

The panel label, which the OP posted a photo of above, states which breakers can be used. Note that the two lower breaker slots accept tandem breakers (it can be seen on the label).

The type BR (Bryant) breaker is available from Eaton Cutler Hammer. The type MP (Crouse-Hinds) breaker is available from Murray and possibly Siemens (ITE).

The photo the OP posted showing the rear of the breakers shows a 'CTL' and 'non-CTL' breaker. The CTL breaker should fit the two lower breaker slots. Problem is you didn't show us the front of the breaker. It needs to be a type 'BR' or 'MP' breaker as per the panel label. Just because it fits, does not mean its an acceptable, code-compliant replacement. I have seen quite a few situations where the home owner (in this case you are a renter, even worse) decided 'the breaker fits', replaced it, and in short order had a fire in the panel. Pay attention. Get the right breaker.

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Now that I remember, back in 2008 (when the landlord first bought the building off of the original landlord), I did some electrical work for the landlord in the other unit (replacing a ceiling fan and a basement light fixture) and I did not charge the landlord for labor as I cannot legally charge for electrical work since I am not a licensed electrician (just like you can give your friend/boss/significant other a haircut for free but you have to become a licensed barber/hairdresser to charge money).

Yup, comparing a barber to an electrician. That makes sense.

said by IowaCowboy:

As for electrical work, codes vary, the codes here are rarely enforced (the code enforcement here is almost non-existent with the large number of distressed properties that are structurally unsafe and only the worst of the worst buildings get attention such as buildings infested with rats, illegal rooming houses, buildings lacking heat/water and sewer, and housing five families in a studio apartment, etc). And the code enforcement has been cut back due to budget cuts. My mom works for the city (school system) and she had her hours cut due to budget cuts. Basically to sum it up, the code enforcement here cannot keep up with all the code violations and unsafe housing let alone inspect a new transfer panel installation or a ceiling fan installation.

The landlord's husband (who is a not an electrician) replaced the porch lights. The previous tenants in the other unit replaced the deck light with a security light.

As for the transfer panel, I have a medical condition where a power outage could be life threatening. As for the landlord and reasonable modifications, that is covered by ADA (which allows tenants to make accessibility related modifications to the unit at the tenants expense, however the landlord can require the modifications to be undone upon vacating the premises). The transfer switch was an easy install. I even watched a YouTube video of a 14 year old non-electrician installing the exact same switch.

I'm sorry, but you're delusional.
YOU CANNOT DO ELECTRICAL WORK IN THIS PLACE!!!! PERIOD!!

Mass is one of the most regulated states out there, and for you to be doing work in a rental is anywhere from wrong, to borderline criminal. That goes for her husband too. If this lady is so absentee that you cannot get basic maintenance done then report here to the renters bureau or something. Or better yet, move out.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy
As for the transfer switch, I should get credit for doing it right. Most renters that have the priviledge of owning a generator would use a so-called "suicide cord" (a cord with a generator plug on one end and a dryer/range plug on the other) and back feed the power in a dangerous way (possibly starting a fire or electrocuting a line worker). I am farmiliar with some of the Massachusetts codes (particularly the fact that interlocks are not allowed and you must use a transfer switch).

I bought the generator during the October snowstorm and waited in a huge line at Lowe's. The guy ahead of me had some plugs in his hand while waiting in line and I suspected he was going to make a suicide cord and back feed the generator he was about to buy the dangerous way.

I did look into Generlink (which I would have preferred) but those are not available from the poco.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to IowaCowboy
Sorry, no credit, because, unless you're a ticketed, registered, and insured Electrician in the state (or in a reciprocal state) - you didn't do it right. It's legally impossible for you to do it "right"...

I'm not trying to beat on you - I'm all for homeowners doing it themselves; and will share every bit of knowledge and asssitance I can - but as a tennant in an MDU, you can't; and shouldn't be doing more then changing a lightbulb. It's not your property at risk, and doubly so, that there's other tennants in the building - the legal liability you're exposed to, if there's ever a fire, is staggering.

The argument that "the LL's husband did it first..." - doesn't fly for me, nor does getting advise from YouTube about how to install the transfer switch.

I'm pulling out of this thread - I wish you well; but can't assist you in your quest here... Sorry.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to Speedy Petey
said by Speedy Petey:

Mass is one of the most regulated states out there, and for you to be doing work in a rental is anywhere from wrong, to borderline criminal. That goes for her husband too. If this lady is so absentee that you cannot get basic maintenance done then report here to the renters bureau or something. Or better yet, move out.

What useless advice. The OP clearly said he will NOT be moving out.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by patcat88:

said by Speedy Petey:

Agreed; if I moved out, I'd probably end up in some rodent infested place in a bad neighborhood with higher rents. In the city I live in (Springfield, MA), there is huge problem with absentee landlords. The reason we live here is my mom works for the school district and there is a residency requirement as a term of her employment.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by IowaCowboy:

said by patcat88:

said by Speedy Petey:

Agreed; if I moved out, I'd probably end up in some rodent infested place in a bad neighborhood with higher rents. In the city I live in (Springfield, MA), there is huge problem with absentee landlords. The reason we live here is my mom works for the school district and there is a residency requirement as a term of her employment.

Irrelevant frankly. Do not make any further changes, as regardless of your abilities, unless you hold a Journeyman electricians license or higher for your jurisdiction, you are not qualified to make any changes, especially for an multiple-tenant dwelling. If you continue to make changes you are opening yourself up for not only lawsuits but criminal prosecution as well.

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to IowaCowboy
You are taking a huge risk by touching ANY of the electrical system in your building. Especially it being a multi-family building. In the event of a fire, whether your handy work or not, you will be responsible. Both civil and criminal. You will be on the hook for finding and paying for alternative accommodations should your building become unsuitable to live in due to an incident, for you AND the other tenants. If you are worried about the non-functional AC there are things you can do to resolve it. The local board of health is the first call as, by the sounds of it, could be a health hazard. Also the code enforcement division of the fire department is a resource for you. As other people have said, the only thing you should be touching is a light bulb. And as far as that goes, many of my coworkers that lease properties, they don't even allow their tenants do that. Bottom line is that the property is not yours. You cannot do what you are suggest. If you want more outlets, request permission from the LL, preferably in writing. Then hire a licensed AND insured electrition. You are not only risking the safety of you and your family but also others.

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
reply to patcat88
said by patcat88:

What's useless was you idiotic comment. Do you know anything about Mass? I know some, and I know that electrical work is highly regulated and the penalties of ignoring these regulations are steep.
The last sentence of my post was proving a point. If things are that bad you DO have choices.