uniqs
share rss forum feed

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

[Cable] SB6120 vs Dupont, CMTS - Spookyness.

TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register, oOo scary! An it ain't even Halloween yet.

Since Sept. 21st I've noticed the modem doesn't seem to be retaining anything beyond 24 hour uptimes. There have been a lot of T3 and T4 timeouts; and several reboots on some days. I figured maybe something's changed at the POI (Dupont), or maybe at the node, or the line outside from the otherside of the tap to where ever it meets the ground equipment might have damage someplace; I don't know.

Normally the modem holds its system uptime 45+ days or so before it resets again at least thats been my experience so far this year. Lately its only been for a day and some pocket change of hours; sometimes just a matter of a few minutes if it has to reboot itself a few times.

Hasn't been any significiant packet loss or sharp decreases in speedtests. Except for the occassional reboot. So I'm keeping an eye on it, and documenting things.

4x4 bonded channels are still showing reasonable SNR & power levels so I don't think its the modem itself; but rather something on the CMTS end of things, could be they dialed up or down their frequencies and the line signal occassionally might have noise or some kind of interference as communication with the CMTS might be just a bit lossy. This is just off the top of my head.

I've had in the past 2 weekends, DHCP failure once, ToD request sent - No Response received, Reboot due to partial service, DS Partial Service Fallback, SYNC Timing Synchronization failure, and a few other assorted modem log messages.

So consider this a heads up; and I'll keep documenting things and hope it either goes away on its own over the next while or we're going to have to whip out some tickets and find out whats actually going on.

If anyone else on Dupont POI has been noticing anything flukey with your modem, specially if its a SB6120, I'd love to hear about it here in this thread! Come on down, step right up and post your findings.

Cheers.

--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
I've got a 6120 on Dupont (4X4) but none of the issues you're experiencing...just an IP renewal every 24 hours. Connection has been basically perfect for at least a couple of months. I didn't even get a timeout when 64QAM got activated on the upstream. Hopefully this doesn't become an annoyance for you.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
The Mongoose See Profile, Yeah? Still getting 16QAM on upstream here on my node. *sigh*

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON
Hard to figure out how Rogers prioritizes these things. Interestingly, mine now lists itself as having both 16QAM and 64QAM on all 4 channels.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

1 edit
said by The Mongoose:

Hard to figure out how Rogers prioritizes these things. Interestingly, mine now lists itself as having both 16QAM and 64QAM on all 4 channels.

All four downstream's are QAM256
All four ....upstream's are 16QAM
------------------------------------------
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

jibby

join:2008-03-31
reply to TwiztedZero
I had the same thing, went on for about two weeks. Stopped about a week ago. I'm still not sure what it was, i assumed it was CMTS related too but who knows.

Heh now that i'm looking at my logs it stopped on Sept 20th, that's kinda funny...

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON
jibby, are you seeing 4X4 and 64QAM on the upstream?

jibby

join:2008-03-31
yessirs, had it for a few months now but i can't say when it kicked in, i didn't notice at the time

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to TwiztedZero
The Mongoose said ...

I've had in the past 2 weekends, DHCP failure once, ToD request sent - No Response received, Reboot due to partial service, DS Partial Service Fallback, SYNC Timing Synchronization failure, and a few other assorted modem log messages.

Many of these are indicative of signal problems ... probably intermittent.

What would be interesting to see are the errors from the bottom of the signal page ...

for example I have in 2 days a handful of correctable errors on all channels, with more on the first (which is the first from the left which in my case is channel 4 and more because it's the first channel used during the establishment of service) These should not be increasing noticeably with time. Maybe a couple in 24 hours.

then the uncorrectable errors ... again first channel has a few more ... but all very similar and in the same 2 days I have about 12-1400 ... and they aren't increasing particularly significantly.

This is in about 4GB of data transfer.

It doesn't measure the upstream data errors.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TwiztedZero
I had the same issues when they moved me from McNicoll to Comstock about two weeks ago. A week of weird signal related stuff, Loss of sync issues, T3/T4 timeouts, reboots due to MDD loss, etc...

It has since settled down, log is clear of any issues for 7 days now, however I am still on 4x16QAM upstream bonding whereas I had 4x64QAM on McNicoll for a few months before... Not like it matters anyway for now, and probably as long as TSI remains on non-aggregated POI's we won't get an upload boost even if it becomes official for Rogers customers.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!