how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Epichappy

join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON

Clear QAM channel list?

So Rogers is killing analog TV in my area and giving out DTA 50s... I am a cable internet subscriber and I accidentally put a splitter in my internet line and fed the other end into my TV which has a QAM tuner... But I still can't see anything

I'm assuming this is because Rogers is hiding the channels and just programming the DTA 50s to return them... someone in Toronto said that most of the channels there were 70.XX or something similar, but I have searched threw so many and nothing appears to be viable.

Would anyone happen to know of a channel list or something for Rogers' new clear QAM channels... which I'm assuming should now include the full basic cable lineup, not just radio and OTA. Also do they use 1080i for these channels or is that just under SDV/encryption and all clear QAM gets is some upscale 480p?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
The clear QAM channels change often and their is no list, you will just need to do a channel scan every now and than and you'll probably find some at some point.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Epichappy
said by Epichappy:

So Rogers is killing analog TV in my area and giving out DTA 50s... I am a cable internet subscriber and I accidentally put a splitter in my internet line and fed the other end into my TV which has a QAM tuner... But I still can't see anything

I'm assuming this is because Rogers is hiding the channels and just programming the DTA 50s to return them... someone in Toronto said that most of the channels there were 70.XX or something similar, but I have searched threw so many and nothing appears to be viable.

Would anyone happen to know of a channel list or something for Rogers' new clear QAM channels... which I'm assuming should now include the full basic cable lineup, not just radio and OTA. Also do they use 1080i for these channels or is that just under SDV/encryption and all clear QAM gets is some upscale 480p?

You won't. Full discussion here. I was switched to Rogers digital from analogue last spring. Nothing on a clear QAM tuner. Rogers was both analogue and digital for a couple of years in Owen Sound and then went all digital last spring.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to Epichappy
There is practically nothing left on clear qam. They used to have music stations on there, but they've since moved those to SDV.

Epichappy

join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON
reply to Epichappy
but the DTA 50 is not a STB... it is just a converter programed with a channel list right? or am I not understanding the network properly?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
Well, it is an STB of sorts ... not a lot different from the original 32xx STBs ... except all input is expected to be digital and the only output is analogue and no IPG (although it appears as if Rogers may offer the program info derived from the IPG through the "Info" button) and no VOD. I suspect that no SDV channels are available either.

The only significant differences from the 32xx boxes are the VOD, IPG and analogue passthru.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Epichappy
Cisco data sheet
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
The DTA50 will just give you access to the original analog channel lineup you had when you were watching analog-only. Do not ask how it works, they already did all the testing and ensure it works, and guess what? it does exactly what they said, all the analog channels are viewable on the DTA 50 just like they said.

as for clear quam channels, im pretty sure you can watch the "your world this week hd" in clear now, are you excited about that channel? no one else seems to be.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
said by Paolo:

The DTA50 will just give you access to the original analog channel lineup you had when you were watching analog-only. Do not ask how it works, they already did all the testing and ensure it works, and guess what? it does exactly what they said, all the analog channels are viewable on the DTA 50 just like they said.

I hope the testing they did on this is better than the testing they have done on the PVR boxes and the firmware updates which is nothing laudable by Rogers at all!

»PVR Drive Cycling

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by Hooter:

I hope the testing they did on this is better than the testing they have done on the PVR boxes and the firmware updates which is nothing laudable by Rogers at all!

»PVR Drive Cycling

Hehe... Now if they can just put an end to the daily 2am firmware update + reboot. Do they really need to push a phantom update (most the the time the actual software doesn't change) everyday?

DKS: I guess what causes some people confusion regarding the DTA50 is that no where in the specs does Cisco specify any decryption or conditional access feature that allow access to encrypted channels (features present in regular STBs like the 4642HD and 8642HD). According to Cisco's spec sheet the DTA50 only converts QAM channels to analog hence the speculation that there are a number of clear QAM channels on Rogers' network.

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
said by decx:

said by Hooter:

»PVR Drive Cycling

Hehe... Now if they can just put an end to the daily 2am firmware update + reboot. Do they really need to push a phantom update (most the the time the actual software doesn't change) everyday?

DKS: I guess what causes some people confusion regarding the DTA50 is that no where in the specs does Cisco specify any decryption or conditional access feature that allow access to encrypted channels (features present in regular STBs like the 4642HD and 8642HD). According to Cisco's spec sheet the DTA50 only converts QAM channels to analog hence the speculation that there are a number of clear QAM channels on Rogers' network.

It's definitely not clear QAM, it's encrypted. The digital adapters are one way only, so they can't see what you are watching. They were intended to ensure people keep receiving the channels they are paying for while rogers shifts out analog cable tv service (which coincidentally will also help with cable tv theft, and help with noise and ultimately more reliable services for all ([YAY!])
--
Hello