uniqs

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

Geofencing in iOS 6

Whatever happened to the purported enhancements to geofencing in iOS 6? I looked on the web site and there is no mention of it. Supposedly it was going to be enhanced in two ways. The first was with Find My Friends in which when a friend either leaves or arrives at a location you get an alert. The second, and more interesting feature was that you can set your geofence size so that in theory you can set up a reminder such as "when I leave the conference room, call Bill."

I know it still has the somewhat flaky location aware notifications, via Reminders introduced with iOS 5. Did Apple drop this enhancement due to technical reasons or did they just find it a little too creepy?

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

The first part of it does work. You'll get an outline of the location icon in your status bar when someone tracks you for departure/arrival.

I haven't noticed that level of refinement for the second part. I don't think the GPS is accurate enough indoors for that to work.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Michail:

I haven't noticed that level of refinement for the second part. I don't think the GPS is accurate enough indoors for that to work.

It supposedly would use wifi geolocation based on the access points on the network.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
I have used the location alerts with Find My Friends and it has worked great so far. It's interesting they don't mention it much. I found it just messing around with the FMF app.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
The shit chews battery like mad.. I remember playing with it when it first came on in iOS5. You know the "remind me when I get home" types, regardless of time...

I ended up that stuff off quickly cuz it was murder on battery.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 edit

Nezmo

MVM

said by HiVolt:

The shit chews battery like mad.. I remember playing with it when it first came on in iOS5. You know the "remind me when I get home" types, regardless of time...

I'm still using it from time to time and to be honest, it no longer seems to chew battery like it did when first released. I'm using iOS 6 but didn't notice a problem on the prior iOS either.

I should add that I'm not one of those folks that turns everything off that's not in use either. Battery seems much better these days and that's on a one year old 4S.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

It's a cool feature and all, but does anyone else find it just a little creepy?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by mbernste:

It's a cool feature and all, but does anyone else find it just a little creepy?

I would never use that, let people track where I am. Hell even my own closest family.

What little privacy we have left in the modern world of technology, I want to keep.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I would suspect it shouldn't be too big of an impact. My guess would be it would use AGPS type checks first which would use wifi and cell towers. I'm no expert but just taking a guess.

Though back to what the OP original question, the level of accuracy is rather low until further GPS refinement occurs. So I'm not sure if there is a good way to refine based off of APs and indoors satellite reception can be poor.