"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Just leave a note!

I take immaculate care of my car. It is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I bought brand new. I wash it, and do all maintenance. It looks brand new even after 8 years.
BUT--- Today I get off of work, tired after working 3 12hr days in a row. All I want to do is go home and take a nice long shower. (You all know I work in a restaurant kitchen, right?)
Anyway.... I walk out to my car and discover a HUGE dent in the rear gate of my Jeep. Probably about 1000 dollars damage. Someone hit it, and ran off without a note with their information.
I had to call the Police, and get them to come and take a report.

HIT AND RUN! So now, this becomes money out of my pocket for the deductible.

Yes, I am very very upset and angry. Timing couldn't be worse. In 2 weeks my job ends for the season and I have ZERO money to put for the deductible.

howieh
4 more weeks
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ
kudos:1

4 recommendations

The note that you requested:

I have just backed into your car and there are witnesses. I have had too much to drink and can't call the police to report the accident. I am writing this note hoping that the witnesses think that I am leaving you my personal information and that none of them makes a note of my license plate info.

I hope that the rest of your day was a good one.
--
Hey Buddy, can you spare a cycle? Join Team Helix

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

Re: Just leave a note!

Go back to the place where you had your jeep parked and look around for any security cameras you can see from that spot. Any businesses facing it may have a lobby security camera facing the street and some may have cameras for external security. Also most ATMs have cameras, some of which do 24 hour timelapse video recording.

If it was a parking lot (instead of street parking) also go to every exit of the parking lot and look for security cameras there. While those may not have recorded the hit and run directly, the accident may have left a noticeable mark on the offenders car as well and a camera near the parking lot exit may have caught that.

This is urgent because in many cases the recordings aren't kept for more then a day. If you find any such cameras don't expect that they will hand over the recordings to you (and in any case you would not want the originals). Just ask politely that they are preserving the recordings of this day for a police investigation into a hit and run accident.

Because it is only property damage it is unclear whether your police department will investigate it (ask them). If they aren't you would have to decide whether it is worth to get a lawyer to subpoena the camera recordings. The risk is that the quality of the recording is not good enough to identify the hit and run car/driver and you might be out the cost for the lawyer and any costs for copies of camera recordings.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Dominokat
Man, disrespect of a Jeep! That is heinous. So sorry Domino!

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat
Out here "hit and run" property and personal damage/death are so commonplace it's becoming the norm.....

My youngest daughter's car is actually in the shop, as we speak, for 2k worth of hit and run damage while parked at the curb. Her friends jumped in their cars and ran down the drunken, uninsured, criminal, who was arrested. She has uninsured motorist so naturally the insurance co. ISN'T paying her deductible....gotta love it.
Sorry to rain on your thunderstorm, but this hit a raw nerve with me, hope everything works out for ya Dom.
--
Team Discovery
Team Helix

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat
I just got back from the body shop. The official total is 2100 dollars!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
D.K. not much to say except that I am sorry to hear of this.

The "hit and run" aspect of this is all too common lately.
--
Deeds, not words

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat
Okay, I've had it with the last few days.
I get 2100 dollars in damage from a hit and run to my Jeep.
Today, I just dropped my iPhone 4S into the sink full of water; while talking to the insurance company. So now I am out an iPhone too.
Just shoot me and get it over with......

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

Re: Just leave your wallet!

I just watched a police drama show where they could not find the victims phone. It was in a bag of rice to dry it out. (They realized the victim was allergic to rice, then realized the purpose.)

Hoping bad luck does not come in threes. If it does, simply stub a toe or something!
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Join Artist-247

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

Re: Just leave a note!

A suggestion on the next phone (so very sorry this happened, dude, that sucks!):

iPhones support bluetooth. Get a bluetooth headset, it is wireless, has a great range (like 40 feet), and you can answer calls with the headset. Newegg has them. I've got a junky one I bought when on refurb sale for 25 bucks over a year ago. I use it specifically where there would otherwise be the risk of dropping the phone in water.

»www.newegg.com/Store/Category.as···essories

The one I have isn't too good, but having it is a Godsend... I make a lot of calls where I need my hands free!
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
What a great idea!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

Now, newegg allows consumers to leave reviews. I have a motorola and it is supposed to be sweatproof, but that isn't true, and it doesn't hold a charge anywhere near as long as they claim, but it works.

If you can budget it, a stereo set for home and a one ear for going out and about would be ideal. I don't use one out and about, and don't use it too often for music because I don't like the sound quality of Apple devices for music (and I need the charge to last and often can't afford to run the battery down), but the plantronics stereo set looks good.

Keep in mind that the plantronics microphone is prbably way better than the motorola, which I can tell you, people don't hear my voice too well, but like I say, it works enough to be worth it since I got it at 70 percent off, I would never pay even 30 percent off on the motorola, so read the reviews on the products, and the more reviews, the better!

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···75978183
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Insurance "adjuster" was here today. He took a bunch of pictures of my Jeep.
At least the ball is rolling to get this fixed.

signmeuptoo See Profile I am looking into the many bluetooth sets offered. Thanks for the idea!