uniqs
share rss forum feed

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

Anyone know of:pic-e w/atheros 8131 network chip?

As subject suggests.

I specifically need a network adapter pic-e with an atheros 8131 network chip. Anyone know of one?
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
I assume you mean PCIe as in PCI Express (you said "pic-e" twice, once in your subject and once in the body of your post).

To my knowledge very few (if any at all) vendors manufacture NIC cards that are driven by either Realtek, Broadcom, or Atheros chips for wired network access. There are a handful of PCI cards that are driven by Atheros wifi chips, but that's wifi, not wired.

I poked around and was only able to find a single company that makes a PCIe x4 quad-port card, the RB44Ge, which is driven by four (4) individual Atheros 8131/M chips (note the /M -- no I do not know the difference, ask Atheros). Be sure to note that the card does not have a full-height bracket available as of this writing, so you'd either have to run it without a bracket or wait until sometime in October to get your hands on the full-height bracket.

This may be your only choice aside from purchasing a motherboard that is known to be driven by the 8131, such as the MSI G41TM-E63 (which is cheaper).

Good luck.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
Yea I'm well aware of that card, mikrotik is extensively used in my network. I'd buy it but there is no full height bracket. Buying a motherboard isn't an option either. No servers or server grade equipment comes with that chip as the NIC that I know of .

I think I'm just gonna have wait for the full height bracket version. Mikrotik is great but sometimes I wonder about their methods

EDIT. As for the pic-e. iPad auto correct
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to Inssomniak
Is there a particular reason why you need this particular chipset?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
said by sk1939:

Is there a particular reason why you need this particular chipset?

Mikrotik RouterOS has support for packet statistics and L2MTU reporting for this chipset.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
I do know that all of the Intel Pro nics are supported by Mikrotik, but I'm not sure about those specific features tbh.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
said by sk1939:

I do know that all of the Intel Pro nics are supported by Mikrotik, but I'm not sure about those specific features tbh.

Yea but all the ones Ive found to date, do not support L2MTU reporting
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
MTU generally isn't important though, unless your dealing with jumbo frames, or ATM interfaces.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
said by sk1939:

MTU generally isn't important though, unless your dealing with jumbo frames, or ATM interfaces.

Or MPLS/VPLS.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
True.