join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

PlaceRaider Builds a Model of Your World With Smartphone Pic

»tech.slashdot.org/story/12/09/30···e-photos

"Neal Ungerleider writes about PlaceRaider, a trojan that can run in the background of any phone running Android 2.3 or above, and is hidden in a photography app that gives PlaceRaider the necessary permissions to access the camera and upload images. Once installed, PlaceRaider quietly takes pictures at random that are tagged with the time, location, and orientation of the phone while muting the phone's shutter sound. Once pictures are taken, PlaceRaider uploads them to a central server where they are knitted together into a 3D model of the indoor location where the pics were taken..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

2 edits

Oh boy! Bob, and his friends, are gonna love this one!

Of course he/they may have authored it.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

»www.fastcompany.com/3001699/new-···t-friend

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

I guess it's time for electrical tape over the camera lens. That will make it tough to use the camera when you want to, of course.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

I'm wondering how long it'll take manufacturers to include some kind of lens cap over the camera and sell it as a security feature. 3rd party webcams often have them.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

That caused me to look for anything like that for the iPhone, but all I found in a quick search was replacement covers for scratched lens covers on the iPhone and those are designed to allow the use of the camera, not to block it. Physical blocking doesn't seem to be a priority. It can be turned off via settings in the phone, but that could presumably be undone remotely. There is, after all, Apple's patent to allow remote disabling of cameras, which means if they can remotely disable, then why not remotely enable? Maybe with the iPhone, you are down to using the electrical tape method do cover the lenses, if you absolutely want to physically prevent the camera from working.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

I got me thinking too. I don't have a iPhone but do have a laptop with an integrated camera (never use it). I don't want to use electrical tape for aesthetics but a small piece of U tubing would work great. It'd slide backn'forth just like a "bought" cover
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by StuartMW:

I got me thinking too. I don't have a iPhone but do have a laptop with an integrated camera (never use it). I don't want to use electrical tape for aesthetics but a small piece of U tubing would work great. It'd slide backn'forth just like a "bought" cover

What about the mic?
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by antdude:

What about the mic?

Not a problem. I'm a deaf mute
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to antdude

I hope this company enjoys reconstructing the pockets of my pants.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

said by Archivis:

I hope this company enjoys reconstructing the pockets of my pants.

I was thinking the same thing, or the top of my computer case and if this can access the front camera the ceiling fan.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports
Expand your moderator at work