Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal

Re: Canadian comes home from Guantanamo

said by Kardinal:

Canada is a member of the United Nations, even if our PM is ignoring them because he got stiffed for the Security Council seat he wanted, and an active member at that. The UN's definition of a child soldier:

At further risk of dragging it to CanPol, but just to be clear; you do know an entirely different PM was in charge when Khadr was taken prisoner and taken to Gitmo, right?

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by Ian1:

At further risk of dragging it to CanPol, but just to be clear; you do know an entirely different PM was in charge when Khadr was taken prisoner and taken to Gitmo, right?

My comment was a overall observation on where the UN seems to stand in the pecking order of importance/relevance to both the current government of this country and some of our fellow citizens.

As to the whole Khadr situation, I'm not blaming this solely on our current PM or current government; I'm taking a stab at the federal governments that have been in power since 2002 and have taken the situation to where it is today. If someone does blame entirely on one PM/government but not all of them, it's a political-colour-glasses situation rather than looking at the situation as a whole.

My comment was more to how we are actually a member of the UN even if it doesn't seem to be all that important at times. We're also a signature country for the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (which has additions that include coverage of child soldiers).