All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mark_D
@videotron.ca

Mark_D

Anon

[Eng] Constant freezes on the image and sound.

I have a Explorer 8300hd pvr which I have owned for over 2 years (I am a subscriber with Videotron). The 8300hd pvr has worked fine till last month . Now what has happened is that whether I am watching live or recorded shows there are constant freezes on the image and sound (only lasts a second but is annoying and recurring). I have other hd boxes (with and w/out pvr) in the house on my other tvs and all work fine. I have tried other hd boxes on my this tv and all are fine. Based on this I presume my 8300hd PVR is the problem. Can anyone help me with this problem (8300hd pvr is no longer under warranty). Thank you in advance for your help.

Samus Aran
Premium Member
join:2005-10-18
St-Hubert

Samus Aran

Premium Member

you could try to format the hard drive, it could help

jay_supreme
join:2008-01-02
Laval, QC

jay_supreme to Mark_D

to Mark_D
I had the exact same problem with my 8300HD PVR. I did format my internal hard drive first but with no success. Since I have replace my internal hard drive with one I already have at home (Maxtor 300gb), all problems are gone now.

It took me about 15 minutes to replace the hard drive. Good luck!

hey mikey
@videotron.ca

hey mikey to Mark_D

Anon

to Mark_D
I had this problem today. I was watching Fringe and the recording froze 6-8 times. It could be because I was recording another program at same time, as well as watching a recording, maybe the drive had a hard time keeping up. I will monitor this but was wondering in case this becomes an ongoing problem if there's a tutorial on how to open the 8300 and change drives?

jeanc1
join:2001-07-02
G2C0E5

jeanc1

Here you go ----ยป »www.digitalhome.ca/forum ··· 9&page=9

Mark_D
@videotron.ca

Mark_D to Mark_D

Anon

to Mark_D
Excuse my ignorance but why would a defective hard drive affect live TV?

Thanks

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

1 edit

PatPatate

Because live TV is recorded live on the hard-drive for these times when you want to rewind.

Edit : Did you ever use a defective hard-drive on a Windows computer? It's really not funny. My girlfriend's laptop died last year after she punched it. It turned out to be only the hard-drive.

What I did is connect the hard-drive on my computer to get as many files as I can. For some reason, each time I got to a corrupted file, the whole computer became really slow, I even had to reset the computer a few times.

So, if Windows can't manage working on a half broken hard-drive, I doubt Videotron's OS can do it.
TH47
join:2005-10-29

TH47

NG won't even work on a good hard drive apparently, so...

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate

said by TH47:

NG won't even work on a good hard drive apparently, so...

I almost laughed.
GuiGQc
join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc to PatPatate

to PatPatate
said by PatPatate:

So, if Windows can't manage working on a half broken hard-drive, I doubt Videotron's OS can do it.

OMG, so you're saying Illico is even worst than Windows?

Mark_D
@videotron.ca

Mark_D

Anon

Well I swapped out the old hard drive for an Maxtor 250GB I had lying around and no problems with live TV anymore.

Going to try recording some shows and see what happens.

Thanks everyone.
GuiGQc
join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc to Mark_D

to Mark_D
Is it connected with an HDMI cable or component?

Mark_D
@videotron.ca

Mark_D

Anon

Connection is via HDMI cable.

So I watched the recordings and all is good now, no more glitches.

Thanks everybody.

Cesco
Electronic Box
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
Montreal, QC

Cesco to Mark_D

Premium Member

to Mark_D
This must be the Period of Failing 8300 HDDs!
Being disabled I'm trying to find online a suitable HD to replace the one in a non-HD 8300. WD 500 GB (WD5000AAKB) once suggested is not available; Amazon US has some but it doesn't make any sense for the price. Any pointers and also where I can get a Torx tool online?
Expand your moderator at work