uniqs
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop to Bob4

to Bob4

Re: How do safe deposit boxes work?

said by Bob4:

It's highly recommended that you keep important papers (e.g., deeds, wills, automobile titles, birth certificates, naturalization certificates) in a safe deposit box.

Our lawyer does not recommend keeping wills in a safe deposit box. One's demise will usually cause the safe deposit box to be sealed for some period of time, which would mean that the will is not accessible to whomever one has designated as executor. Our lawyer recommended getting one of the fireproof boxes for wills, living wills, power of attorney's, etc. and keeping them in the fireproof box.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by Austinloop:

One's demise will usually cause the safe deposit box to be sealed for some period of time,

Not in New Jersey. The executor is allow to retrieve wills and life insurance policies.

You can also add a second (or third) name to the box and access it after death.
Austinloop
Austin, TX

Austinloop

said by Bob4:

said by Austinloop:

One's demise will usually cause the safe deposit box to be sealed for some period of time,

Not in New Jersey. The executor is allow to retrieve wills and life insurance policies.

You can also add a second (or third) name to the box and access it after death.

That is one state out of 50 (or is it 57). I think I will take my lawyer's advice.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

If your lawyer says the box will be sealed, you need to get a new lawyer.
See - »www.statutes.legis.state ··· .htm#36D
Austinloop
Austin, TX

Austinloop

said by Bob4:

If your lawyer says the box will be sealed, you need to get a new lawyer.
See - »www.statutes.legis.state ··· .htm#36D

No, thanks. I honestly don't remember if she said any thing about the sealing, but she did recommend the fire proof box.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

You could end up like this guy - »Need help with an old safe