Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to oldITtechie

Premium Member

to oldITtechie

Re: [Connectivity] Comcast Keeps Hijacking my browser

said by oldITtechie :

YOU ARE CORRECT!!!! (and they are wrong) Their is a file stored on your computer when hooking up first time to xfinity, at least as recently as 1 year ago. I had protection on my browser that stopped them from downloading, so the install kept failing. After a time they would HIJACK my browerser and make me "setup" again, but it always failed. The people on the phone at support didn't have a clue.

I finally figured out by turning off my protection, letting them install the little file they check for, then turning the protection back on.

This was not the toolbar, but something to make life easier for Comcast. I don't remember the details, but I found the answer and filename by searching the internet, not on Comcast support sites!

Good luck!

If what you say were true, every time a customer connected a new PC, or allowed a guest to connect, they would be redirected to the walled garden modem activation site.

The only "file" is the database record on a Comcast server that identifies your modem's MAC address as being associated with your account. There may be cookies installed on your connected PC(s) when you visit any Comcast/Xfinity web site (including the walled garden modem activation site), but that is only if your browser settings allow it to happen, and those cookies are in no way required for you to use the Comcast service. You also may be encouraged to install the Comcast toolbar (and/or other Comcast branded software) on your PC(s), but again that will only happen if you allow it to happen, and not installing such software will in no way keep you from using your Comcast connection.

Within the past several weeks, I have activated two new modems, and I was not even offered any Comcast branded software by the walled garden site, because I was using a Mozilla based web browser that does not support ActiveX controls being installed. But even if you use a browser that does allow ActiveX, you do not have to permit any software (including some mythical/mysterious file) to be installed in order to simply activate a specific modem for use with your account.

The OP at some point apparently allowed the Comcast portal page to be setup as a Google Chrome homepage tab, but that has absolutely nothing to do with being redirected to the walled garden modem activation site (if that is indeed what is happening to the OP).

There is a very good reason why you don't remember the details.

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

This is just an issue with your account. Your modem's MAC is added and activated to an account. Usually what happens is that if you SELF-ACTIVATE your account at home without actually calling into Comcast to activate your modem's MAC on your account, Comcast WILL try and follow up with a call to whatever number you have on the account to verify that you've actually activated the service and that you want it. If you fail to take those calls for any reason within a few days of activation or a week at the most, your modem's MAC will be deactivated and the next time you try to surf you'll be redirected to the walled garden setup that asks for account activation again. This is most likely what you're seeing. Call up Comcast and make sure the MAC of the modem is activated on your account. It's as simple as that. If you continue down this path of self-activation and NOT talking to them when they try to verify activation of the service via a phone call to you, you'll always run into this. Just freaking call them!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by not :

This is just an issue with your account. Your modem's MAC is added and activated to an account. Usually what happens is that if you SELF-ACTIVATE your account at home without actually calling into Comcast to activate your modem's MAC on your account, Comcast WILL try and follow up with a call to whatever number you have on the account to verify that you've actually activated the service and that you want it. If you fail to take those calls for any reason within a few days of activation or a week at the most, your modem's MAC will be deactivated and the next time you try to surf you'll be redirected to the walled garden setup that asks for account activation again. This is most likely what you're seeing. Call up Comcast and make sure the MAC of the modem is activated on your account. It's as simple as that. If you continue down this path of self-activation and NOT talking to them when they try to verify activation of the service via a phone call to you, you'll always run into this. Just freaking call them!

I appreciate the advice (even though I am not having a modem activation problem), but rest assured that if I did have such a problem I would definitely call Comcast support. I don't recall ever receiving such a verification call from Comcast after a modem activation, but I suppose that it is possible for it to happen (especially since most of my modem activations have been for clients, and it is they who would have received the verification call). I can't imagine however, that this is something that "Usually" happens since the whole point of allowing a self activation is for Comcast to save money by eliminating customer support calls.

And if you read the OP's posts I think you will find that the OP has already contacted Comcast support more than once.

soupersalad
@comcast.net

soupersalad to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer
I finally found the site that keeps pushing Comcast software to my browser. It's selfinstall4.comcast.net. This doesn't come up immediately after activating the modem. For me, it took exactly one week. And it keeps popping up week after week. In fact I'm expecting it to come up tomorrow. It doesn't go away until customer service sends the refresh signal. Someone has suggested that I reprovision my account. I'm gonna try this tomorrow.