All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Gothmog1065
join:2011-11-23

Gothmog1065 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

I know that TWC is currently working on merging their billing systems for the entire east region.

As for modems, the east region will allow two modems (One MTA/Telephony and one HSI) in a house. They don't allow two HSI modems, which is where the confusion lies. Some areas used to, but it doesn't happen anymore.

So you can use TWC's Telephony modem and your own HSI modem. As for the lease fee, I know the Carolinas don't do the lease on telephony only modems. Only HSI. This may or may not change due to the regionalization.

edit: And think about it. Even with a 4.00 lease fee (Carolinas is 2.50), it would still take at least 2 years to equalize the upfront costs for a $100 modem.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

That has been going on for a LONG time and still basically nothing changed. The only thing the combined billing systems will do is keep people from moving from NEO/WPA to Cinci and getting service when they owe NEO-WPA money. It still doesn't correct the issues of the left doesn't know what the right hand is doing. And TWC will never know what it is doing. by getting rid of the regions and going to 1 region for prices and policy and upgrades TWC would be better off.

And in that 2 years, you could have a new modem by TWC for DOC 4 or 3.1 coming out. Owning your modem will NOT permit you to change that frequent as renting.
shawnunder7
join:2011-10-08

shawnunder7

Its not as simple as walking in a getting a Docsis 3.0 modem. At least when i tried in Queens Center mall, they said that my service wasn't Docsis 3.0, and if I wanted it, I would have to upgrade to faster service. All these fees are ridiculous. I'm running near $200 for triple play. Its about time people start to switch to whatever else, its just the fact that they know most of us in NYC have no other option than them and DSL.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

The bulk of your bill would be TV and probably Digital Phone. I don't get why people sign up with their Digital phone when its priced well over anything else. MagicJack is WAAAAAY cheaper and does NOT require the use of your computer any longer, Vonage is cheaper than Digital Phone, indie VoIP in general are cheaper than DP. Granted DP uses QOS over the network, as it should, but if you're on Price then id get rid of DP. STBs are the next bulk of the bill.

anonnammee11

Anon

this is also happening here where i live (irving, tx)

and i also felt a damn earthquake yesterday!!!

what a crappy weekend

JimMcCoy
join:2011-08-20
Midlothian, VA

JimMcCoy to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
But MagicJack and Vonage do not permit the usage of a fax Machine. Additionally, you cannot use Magic Jack or Vonage with a security service (e.g. ADT).

TWC DP supports both quite nicely.
shawnunder7
join:2011-10-08

shawnunder7 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
DP & RR Standard comes out to around $60 a month. Gonna take out the cable, keep them, and go to DirecTV

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to anonnammee11

Premium Member

to anonnammee11
said by anonnammee11 :

what a crappy weekend

Uh oh. When is Los Angeles/L.A. going to get this leased cable modem fee? I thought old subscribers won't get it.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to JimMcCoy

to JimMcCoy
Vonage does support fax machines. Also that ADT system won't work when you lose power or your local CMTS is down. So no point in having it connected to DP. If you rely on an alarm you should have it at least hooked up to a landline or use a total or cell back up solution.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by antdude:

said by anonnammee11 :

what a crappy weekend

Uh oh. When is Los Angeles/L.A. going to get this leased cable modem fee? I thought old subscribers won't get it.

Speaking of the devil. It appeared in today's paper monthly bill.