spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

urdrwho

join:2006-10-10

Comcast price increase - $14 in one month

I'm wondering if it is just my area or is Comcast (Xfinity or whoever they are this month) raising their prices across the board?

They raised my residential internet $14 in one month. I wonder if there wasn't a cable monopoly, would I see a 28% price increase in one month.

I was not on any promotional rate before this increase.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Which area?
What tier?
What was the old rate/is the new rate?
If not on a promo did you change service in ANY way?
Did your speeds change? (ie maybe they accidently changed something on your account?)
Have you called and asked?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to urdrwho

said by urdrwho:

... or is Comcast (Xfinity or whoever they are this month) ...

"Xfinity" is to Comcast as "U-verse" is to AT&T, and as "FiOS" is to Verizon.

It seems that Comcast is competing with AT&T on price hikes.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to urdrwho

Our Blast! Tier went from $69.95 to $72.95 a few months ago, but I've never seen a $14 one in one month, that seems absurd.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
reply to urdrwho

$14 is not a normal price hike, as well as without warning. Was there anything on your last statement warning of an increase or an amount you saved on your last bill? This sounds very much like a promo period ending.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to urdrwho

Cripe!

That even beats Charter on how fast they try to rape you all at once!!

My bill has gone up by about $15 this year, but it's taken Charter 3 price hikes on my account. 1 hike I know what it was, the other 2, I don't have a clue, and neither did anyone in the Charter forums.

The ones I don't have a clue about are those usual ones that they word so strangely, you can't figure out what you're paying for anyway!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to TriForce

Im betting he was being billed as a video customer and was a internet only customer. Or like you said a prom ending. In any case comcast doesnt raise the price of internet that fast.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to urdrwho

said by urdrwho:

They raised my residential internet $14 in one month.

Can you fill that in a bit? Where is the $14 increase showing in your bill?

My cable bill went up somewhat recently...but then my 6 month promotion price ended...so no surprises there.

Not questioning your post, just asking where this $14 increase is showing, and what are your circumstances? Did this $14 increase just come out of the blue with no explanation, and did you call Comcast for an explanation/correction if you did not know why or what the increase was for?
--
Deeds, not words

kara

@comcast.net
reply to urdrwho

look at last bill before change and new bill side by side go over the detail info see what changed. If you did paid VOD or PPV movies they be on bill too. If question call the billing dept to explain.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2
reply to PeteC2

Going along with what PeteC2 See Profile said, you should be able to do a line by line comparison with your last bill (which as you said is $14.00 less) with your current bill (which has the $14.00 increase), and then figure out where the increase comes from.

Sure, looking at the "bottom line" there is a difference of $14.00. I know on my Comcast bill, it is broken down in the following ways.

On Page #1, is the total due, and right below that, is the high level of each service you have (Internet Service, Other Charges and Credits, Taxes and Fees, and so on), with the total amount for that given service item. Then on the back of Page #1, and onto a 2nd page (if needed) is the actual breakdown of each of these service items to show where they get the amount shown on Page #1. Adding up each service's section on Page #2 (and others if applicable), you will get the total shown on Page 1. Then, if you add up all your services on Page #1, you get the Total New Charges on Page 1. It's all simple math!

If you take the time to sit down and look at your bill, it should not be that hard to figure out what changed between the two. For all you know, you may have had multiple things change that add up to $14.00 (add a rented modem for $7, add DVR services for $3, and taxes go up $4, would total $14 as an example).

So, my suggestion would be to look at the bills, and see where the increase(s) are at. Then, we should be able to help you out to figure out why things went up.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

urdrwho

join:2006-10-10

1 edit
reply to PeteC2

It is showing under Xfinity internet.

My promo was $19.99 and that ended in February 2012. The internet charge has been $34.99 and it just changed to $48.95.

I didn't read the fine print about the second promo. Their promos are invoiced using a drip method, they go up a little at a time. Could swear that originally I was told a different price because I think I would have bulked at a tad under $50. I was fairly happy with my DSL for $23 and I think I would have remembered I was buying something that would double in a year.

How can I prove what was or wasn't said a year ago.

Oh well.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

It's not that unusual to be offered 2 step promos that have the first 3-6-12 months at a super low price, and the next 3-6-12 at a meduim discount and finally rising to the normal Nationwide performance tier price of $48.95, which sounds like what happened to you.
You can call to confirm that's what happened.
They MIGHT be willing to extend it for another X months, but even if they push you to full price (what you have now) after 9 more months (assuming the 19/95 was also 9 months) your average price over 27 months (2years + ) is $34.xx a month, still a very good deal.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to urdrwho

Unfortunately, you signed into a contract without knowing the full terms. You can try explaining the situation to the phone rep but all they can do is put you under a new promo. Cancelling the service is a risky tactic because sometimes they are very willing to cancel you without much retention offers.

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to urdrwho

See what Comcast has available in a lower speed tier and how the pricing compares with current DSL pricing. If you were happy with DSL and don't feel that Comcast offers a cost-effective alternative, go back to DSL.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3
reply to urdrwho

My 12 month double-play promotion also expired this month, with my (Performance) HSI charge jumping up by $14 too. I called and spoke to a billing agent and he reduced my HSI charge by $17 for the next 6 months [it helps being in a Verizon FiOS area ].

When that expires, I may consider then getting a triple-play promotion using my second phone line.

Lucan63

@comcast.net
reply to urdrwho

Even though they are paying more due to not having voice or tv, a performance or blast customer is only paying an increase of $2.00. Where as those of us with tv/voice/both are being increased by $4.00! $50.95

Then they change to all digital tv and give you 2 adapters free...now they decided to charge you 1.99 each for those 2!

Do you ever feel like they are lining up their customers just so they can tell them to bend over and take it!

myosh

join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA
reply to urdrwho

said by urdrwho:

My promo was $19.99 and that ended in February 2012. The internet charge has been $34.99 and it just changed to $48.95.

That sounds about right. When I switched back from AT&T DSL over a year ago, I paid 19.99 for the first 6 months, 34.99 for the second 6 months and 46.95 from that point forward (until Comcast raised the non-promo price to 49.99). Judging by the dates in your post, you signed up a few months after I did so I suspect you got the same promo.

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA
reply to urdrwho

I could not find anywhere what the real price is just for the internet alone on Comcast site for non promo.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

said by chong67:

I could not find anywhere what the real price is just for the internet alone on Comcast site for non promo.

They show "Performance Starter" as having no conditions on it, but it's only 6/1. Do they really shaft you on speed if you don't subscribe to anything else?

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

Yes, they did not show a non-promo "new customer" price for Performance (20/4 w/PB) in that area (zip 30238), but it looks like it should be priced around $62.95/mo maybe.

Otherwise:

Performance Starter (6/1) = $49.95/mo
Blast! (30/6 w/PB) = $69.95/mo
Extreme 105 (105/10) - $199.95/mo