Action_Man
Currently Appearing As
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
England

Action_Man

Premium Member

Browser problem.

I`m trying to follow the mandatory steps before posting, but the browser wont allow me to goto certain sites, in particular the malawarebytes site, also when i try to go onto antivirus sites such norton, avg etc:, i`m being blocked, i can use my browser on most other sites no problem, but security related sites are not allowed.

Everything was fine until i updated AVG yesterday, then every time i reboot it finds a trojan in a temp folder, so i have removed avg and installed mcafee, done a full scan, but it finds nothing.

Dont know what to do now, any ideas ? ...

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

If you have a known clean computer...you can attempt to download the tools and save to flash or burn to cd

Action_Man
Currently Appearing As
Premium Member
England

Action_Man

Premium Member

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.malwarebytes.org.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I cant download the requested software, because my browser wont allow me access ...
Action_Man

Action_Man

Premium Member

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at free.avg.com.

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at buy.norton.com.

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.mcafeestore.com.

Etc: Etc: ...

LoPhatPhuud
MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

1 recommendation

LoPhatPhuud to Action_Man

MVM

to Action_Man
The malware is blocking the download.

You can try booting in Safe Mode with networking and see if you can download them. If that fails, then as LilHurricane suggested, if you have access to another computer, or have a friend with a computer, use it to download the required programs, then transfer them to your computer.

Action_Man
Currently Appearing As
Premium Member
England

1 edit

Action_Man

Premium Member

Its just the same with safe mode and network, i only have one other option at the moment, which is my internet tv box, if that fails, then i`ll goto a friends and download the software there.
Action_Man

Action_Man

Premium Member

I managed somehow to get mbam to run, then i have downloaded OTL, and when i try to run it, it says "access violation" , and wont do a scan.

Here is the log from mbam :-

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.0.1400
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.10.01.05

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
:: GORDONS-NETBOOK [administrator]

Protection: Disabled

01/10/2012 16:47:41
mbam-log-2012-10-01 (18-06-10).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 239003
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 2 minute(s), 30 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 2
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_MICORSOFT_WINDOWS_SERVICE (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Micorsoft Windows Service (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 3
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center|UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)
Action_Man

Action_Man

Premium Member

I dont need any more help, as i have rturned my computer to factory setting, thank you for your assistance ...

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

1 recommendation

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Thanks for letting us know. Remember to surf safe...

»Security Cleanup FAQ »How do I prevent Browser Hijacks and Spyware?