how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

[DTA] A/B Switch for VCR to TV

Here's the situation: I have two DTAs, one is currently connected to the TV, the other to a VCR. Is it possible to use an A/B switch for the connection to the TV so that both the DTA and the VCR could be connected at the same time or is such a thing not going to work?
--
Computer: Antec 850w PSU, ASUS M4A89GTDPRO-USB3, AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2GHZ, ATI Radeon 5770, SB XFI Fatal1ty, 8GB Kingston DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, KIS 2010, Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX, Frontier DSL 768/128 w/ Westell 6100 C90 & Linksys WRT120N

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

Yes, an A/B switch can be used to switch the TVs source between the two analog signals from the DTA and VCR.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

anon6234

@mich.net
reply to wolfy339

Yes the A/B switch is one way of doing it, there are several ways you could handle it.

Unless your TV is really old, you probably have RCA inputs on it (Yellow, Red, White). You should be able to hook the VCR to the TV using one of the RCA cables. Then you would only need to switch the input on the TV remote to line 1 or whatever the TV calls it when you want to use the VCR.

Technically since you are using a DTA anyway, it might be possible to put the DTA on channel 3, and put the VCR on channel 4, and just use a splitter to combine the signal back into the TV. Then you would just switch the tv back and forth from 3 to 4.

I'm actually wondering how you manage to have 2 DTAs in the same location without accidentally switching the channels on the other one. Guessing you must have one blocked, turned away, or the VCR isn't in the same room. Otherwise the one remote is going to be switch channels on both boxes.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

said by anon6234 :

Yes the A/B switch is one way of doing it, there are several ways you could handle it.

Unless your TV is really old, you probably have RCA inputs on it (Yellow, Red, White). You should be able to hook the VCR to the TV using one of the RCA cables. Then you would only need to switch the input on the TV remote to line 1 or whatever the TV calls it when you want to use the VCR.

Technically since you are using a DTA anyway, it might be possible to put the DTA on channel 3, and put the VCR on channel 4, and just use a splitter to combine the signal back into the TV. Then you would just switch the tv back and forth from 3 to 4.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

You could combine them that way (and I have not tried this myself), if there are no analog or digital signals on the cable system in at least one of the Channel 3 (60 to 66 MHz) or 4 (66 to 72 MHz) positions, by using an RF combiner (a splitter in reverse), with the DTAs Ch 3/4 switch set to one of those channels and the VCRs Ch 3/4 switch set to the other.

If one of those channels does have a signal on it, then you could switch the DTA to use that one (as DTAs wont pass through RF signals like most VCRs), and then switch the VCR to use the other channel. Then you should be able to tune to one channel (3 or 4) to watch the DTA output and the other channel (4 or 3) to watch the VCR output.

Otherwise, you could try using specialized channel filters and combiners to do this:
»www.3starinc.com/sc-4_tv_channel···ner.html
»www.summitsource.com/channel-4-s···884.html