how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mnl1121

join:2008-01-03
Clifton, NJ

Verizon giving out N routers yet?

I have had 35/35 for a while now and still stuck with the crappy Rev. D. Months (prob years at this point) ago I heard Verizon won't be giving out any N routers for free because they had so many G routers still. Is this still the case or can I call up or go to the store and swap for an N router?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »I want the new router model. How do I get one?

Some have gotten lucky by asking a tech for one.
Otherwise, buying one seems to be the only option.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
reply to mnl1121

is it possible to request tech to put the router in bridge mode? I am using my own until the tech comes and it's wireless n dualband. Thank you

RedCaliSS
Premium
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mnl1121

I just had a second distinct FIOS install in my home last week. while going thru all the hassles getting this second install I talked with many rep's all the way up to a district manager. Was told the new "Quantum" tiers get the newest "BigE" gen 3 revision I routers. they are N but not dual band (max speed 300Mbps under ideal conditions)
Talked with the instal tech and if they have this new router in stock they will use it for the lower tiers, but are generally reserved for the Quantum tiers only.

hmm I should post some pics of this side by side fios setup I have now huh?

"is it possible to request tech to put the router in bridge mode? I am using my own until the tech comes and it's wireless n dualband. Thank you" no, it is an unsupported configuration. you're on your own should you decide to use your own router. there are several excellent FAQ's here explaining how to. .....
starting here would be your best bet
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Do I have to use the supplied router with Verizon FiOS?

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
reply to mnl1121

I got a wireless n router.I upgrade from 50/25 to 150/65 . I don't use wireless because it can not go at speeds of 150Mbps.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by brianiscool:

I got a wireless n router.I upgrade from 50/25 to 150/65 . I don't use wireless because it can not go at speeds of 150Mbps.

Of course wireless can hit throughput speeds of 150Mb/s. You just need to have the proper APs and Devices/Bridges that can do those speeds. I hit 150Mb/s throughput wireless speeds from my Laptop through my Asus RT-N56U in AP mode(also when I used an Asus EA-N66 AP). As long as my media bridges aren't also connected to that AP. I also use an RT-N56U in router mode that can get those speeds. Of course you can get devices with even faster throughput over wireless. But the bottom line is as long as you have the proper equipment, 150Mb/s over wireless is not an issue.

mnl1121

join:2008-01-03
Clifton, NJ
reply to mnl1121

thanks for the replies guys.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
reply to RedCaliSS

»support.actiontec.com/doc_files/···idge.pdf

a tech isn't needed to walk through those steps. And I am pretty sure from past experience, that they won't send a tech to do it.

RedCaliSS
Premium
join:2004-08-21
Murrieta, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by hubrisnxs:

»support.actiontec.com/doc_files/···idge.pdf

a tech isn't needed to walk through those steps. And I am pretty sure from past experience, that they won't send a tech to do it.

was meaning to quote another poster asking if they needed to roll a tech out.. maybe you may have misread my post, or i forgot to hit the ole "quote button"

said by patt2k:

is it possible to request tech to put the router in bridge mode? I am using my own until the tech comes and it's wireless n dualband. Thank you

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to hubrisnxs

That Actiontec document is confusing, or I am missing something.

The document shows the Actiontec connected to the ONT, then proceeds to disable Broadband Coax. So what is the point of the connection to the ONT?

Yes, the instructions effectively make the MI424-WR into an ECB200, but what is the point of the connection to the ONT? It doesn't do anything.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

NYC Girl
Premium
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY
reply to mnl1121

said by mnl1121:

I have had 35/35 for a while now and still stuck with the crappy Rev. D. Months (prob years at this point) ago I heard Verizon won't be giving out any N routers for free because they had so many G routers still. Is this still the case or can I call up or go to the store and swap for an N router?

I have a Linksys router. How do I use it instead of the fios router? Tech support keeps telling me I need to use theirs. My router was 3 mos. old when I got fios back in January.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by NYC Girl:

I have a Linksys router. How do I use it instead of the fios router?

Read the FAQs.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
--