Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian

Re: Router security

said by norwegian:

1. ARP

Not sure you can do much about ARP poisoning on a home network.

2. File sharing

I'd turn off Home Groups (or whatever Microsoft calls them) for sure. Enable simple password protected file sharing with limted folders if you wish to transfer between machines.

3. Exploits

Disable NetBIOS. You don't really need it.

4. Infection

Use an A/V you like and keep it up-to-date.

Then there's the obvious (hopefully) stuff. Don't click on links without knowing where they go. Don't download from warez etc.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

1. On NetBios:

In the early days all my cabled LAN's were manually configured for the network and DHCP, DNS services were turned off.
Now to the present and wireless:
Doesn't DHCP use NetBIOS? I know once I have enough of a play with the wireless I could look at all connections being mapped to specific addresses to stop DHCP etc which would allow turning off services such as NetBIOS, WINS, LMHOSTS etc
But routers do not allow configuration like in this Microsoft Article on NetBIOS

2. Home networks is a Microsoft term, what of Apple (Ipods, Ipads, MacBooks), WD Live stream and all other types of hardware relying on network connections via the router/switch etc?

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

Doesn't DHCP use NetBIOS?

No. Having it enabled allows you to "browse" your network but is that necessary? It is easy enough to create network shortcuts to shared folders and disable NetBIOS.

2. Home networks is a Microsoft term, what of Apple (Ipods, Ipads, MacBooks), WD Live stream and all other types of hardware relying on network connections via the router/switch etc?

I don't know but I'd only enable what you really need.