share rss forum feed

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to CylonRed

Re: Can you get a passport without planning to travel?

said by CylonRed:

It is good as proving identity - not used just for travel.

My brother did a summer course at MIT and mom and dad would send him cashier's checks as he needed money. NO bank would except a passport as ID. I'm not sure as to what he ended up useing, but he had to wait 5 business days till he could get his money. A cousin who was an airline stewardess for a while said that a Sears credit card carried more weight as an ID than a passport in the US ....... go figure .....

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
said by kherr:

said by CylonRed:

My brother did a summer course at MIT and mom and dad would send him cashier's checks as he needed money. NO bank would except a passport as ID. I'm not sure as to what he ended up useing, but he had to wait 5 business days till he could get his money. A cousin who was an airline stewardess for a while said that a Sears credit card carried more weight as an ID than a passport in the US ....... go figure .....

talk about a shit bank, considering a passport is a federally backed form of ID.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to kherr
Unlike Europe, where for decades showing your passport and other documents at border checkpoints was common, many in the USA never have had a passport. The reason is simply that for the same traveling distance, you probably remained in the USA, while in Europe you would easily cross borders in the same distance. Thus the recognition of a passport is uncommon for many USA citizens. Add to that the lack of passport usage between Canada, and a few other nations, for travel to and from the USA, by USA citizens. Much of the chaos a few years ago in the US State Department's passport section, when passports for USA citizen's international travel became mandatory, was caused by so many USA citizens not ever needing a passport to travel internationally.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to kherr
said by kherr:

A cousin who was an airline stewardess for a while said that a Sears credit card carried more weight as an ID than a passport in the US ....... go figure .....

I can believe that. Sears is by FAR the most difficult to get a credit card with. If you can get a Sears card then you are Aok! It is easy to get American Express, Chase, JCPenny, Macy's, etc cards. Sears...very, very difficult. The vast majority of Sears employees don't have a Sears card because Sears has turned them down.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by kherr:

said by CylonRed:

talk about a shit bank, considering a passport is a federally backed form of ID.

I doubt the problem was the ID card.
With all the fake cashier's checks lately, banks aren't particularly interested in "cashing" any check. With a local account they can charge back to, the bank would accept it easier.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by kherr:

said by CylonRed:

I was about to say.. most places in cluding some banks says a passport is valid ID... weird...
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Sure beats a birth certificate which proves nothing.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by kherr:

said by CylonRed:

Most banks will NOT. They prefer a valid Credit Card instead. KeyBank NA is one of them, PNC is another.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by kherr:

A cousin who was an airline stewardess for a while said that a Sears credit card carried more weight as an ID than a passport in the US ....... go figure .....

I can believe that. Sears is by FAR the most difficult to get a credit card with. If you can get a Sears card then you are Aok! It is easy to get American Express, Chase, JCPenny, Macy's, etc cards. Sears...very, very difficult. The vast majority of Sears employees don't have a Sears card because Sears has turned them down.

I don't buy that for a minute. My wife had bad credit when we were dating and got a Sear's card no problems. I wouldn't waste my time with a Sear's card myself. A carry permit is the best form of ID you can have.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
No one in Hawaii has been granted carrier status. Perpetual complaint here by NRA.

As for Sears card, maybe they have become more lenient recently.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson